Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Straighten bent crank arm?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 06:26 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts

I have a Nervar 631 crankset I picked up some years back in a trade, and that I'm just now using for the first time. It's the 5-pin 50.4mm bcd model, and I've set it up with TA Cyclotouriste rings. Alas, I've discovered that the drive-side crank arm is bent inward a few milimeters: not a lot, but enough that it's visible if you look straight down, and the pedaling feels just a bit wonky. I guess I could just get used to it, because I use the bike mostly for urban commuting over fairly short distances. But I don't like the bend and want to straighten it back.
1) Is this even a good idea? How much would I weaken the arm?
2) What would be the best way to do this? I'm thinking leaving it mounted on the bike, and just putting a piece of pipe around it and pulling it outward. But of course I don't want to #%& up the frame or BB.
Old 10-23-20, 07:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I have never straightened an alloy crank arm, because I'm afraid of the thoughts that will go through my mind, when it breaks and I fall off the bike. Not so much the falling, because I've done that before, but the thoughts about how this was self inflicted.
Old 10-23-20, 08:00 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
These are forged, right? I'd go for it if you're sure they are cold forged, which it seems like they are. Doesn't sound like a big bend to do. If it's a dealbreaker for you, I'll take 'em off your hands and do it myself. I've bent back all manner of forged alu things, and I'm still here. Mafac brake arms for example. Put 'em on double secret probation for a while afterwards, inspect periodically, and let them regain your trust.

Cast, I would not do.

Also leaving the crank bent and riding it long distances could mess with your joints.

Last edited by scarlson; 10-23-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 08:59 PM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 32 Posts
I had a similar experience with an old Stronglight crank on a Motobecane. I took the pedal off, placed an old fence post pole over the arm and pulled it back. The arm is straight now and seems fine, but as they say, your mileage may vary.
Old 10-23-20, 09:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Steel- no problem
aluminum?
my body is worth more
whether it be break or wear on my joints
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-23-20, 11:32 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I'd be inclined to discard it before wasting any effort on straightening it. Aluminum crankarms are documented victims of fatigue failure and a bend beyond the elastic range may have generated microcracks that could precipitate a failure inducing crack. Since the complete breaks often cause a fall/crash/injury, it is more than a cosmetic issue and deserves some prudence. Even crankarms that haven't been bent should be inspected for cracking as they get old and have accumulated a lot of miles.
Old 10-24-20, 01:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
While I agree that there’s more risk to bending back a crank arm compared to replacing it, I have straightened crank arms - and ridden them for considerable mileage - w/o issues.
I’ve used a heating tip collected from a guy who built waist-steered recumbents using repurposed BBs and cranks for the pivot.
Old 10-24-20, 06:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
kroozer I bought a folding bike with one. At first I thought the pedal axle was bent, so I paid the price. After a couple of test runs during the clean up phase, I discovered the crank arm on the left side was bent.
I decided I had nothing to loose. Either it will straighten out or break. Either way I would have a crank set that was straight with a replacement if it broke.

I have a hi-lift jack or farm jack to support my other interest of off roading. I set up blocks of wood on either end of the crank with the bow up. I used the jack to press down on the bowed part. Initially I though a car would be enough weight to force displacement, not.

The second attempt, and successful one, was using the opening between my garages that has exposed foundation to set the crank with blocks on one and the jack on the other. Then just jacked until the crank was visually straight. I think it is off just a bit but really hard to tell. I tried to alight the flat around the pedal boss with the flat area of the BB spindle boss. They are close to parallel. Close enough for me. I could take measurements but it was not a collector type folder and not worth more effort, IMHO.

Some times you have to think out of the box if you don't have the right tools, in this case a hydraulic press. Didn't think to take pictures of this activity.
Old 10-24-20, 07:51 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate. My Winter commuter, a Centurion Pro Tour, suffered a bent drive side crank arm when I fell on an icy curve. Bent it enough to notice immediately, wasn't rideable at all. Mentioned it to framebuilder Bill Stevenson at the Bike Stand in Olympia, WA. Turned out he had a tool to make it good again for a minimal charge. Left a slight mark on the arm, but never had any problems thereafter and it was still gave good service years later when sold. (it was a forged SR Aerox triple crank) Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 10-24-20 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-24-20, 07:55 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I'd buy a new one. Not only is it safer, but you'll be lucky if can correct it perfectly. It is probably not merely bend inwards, but also twisted a bit - both will make them feel "wonky" when in use.
Old 10-24-20, 09:24 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
make sure it's not a problem with your bottom bracket spindle. i'd mounted a deore lx drive side crank arm one time and thought it was bent. turned out the taper on the spindle wasn't matched well to the crank
Old 10-24-20, 10:46 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
when I worked in a shop in the 70s we had tools made specifically for straightening crank arms
Nervar arms are on the soft side so straightening it should be no problem
Old 10-24-20, 10:49 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. The arm is not exactly parallel to the chainrings so I don't think it's the axle.
Old 10-24-20, 04:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

should you elect to have a go at straightening definitely do it off the cycle

no point in risking damage to spindle or frame

once you get it clamped up between blocks as described earlier you have excellent control

if you do not have an industrial strength jack as delineated above you can make a good job of the process with a beefy bench vise

-----
Old 10-24-20, 08:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I would guess that there is still a muffler shop or auto mechanic in Nayarit who bends exhaust tubing with a hydraulic press instead of one of those fancy programmable benders. The same tool, without the rollers, could be used to straighten the crank arm.
Brent
Old 10-24-20, 09:33 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
heck....a bottle jack under the frame of a truck would probably suffice as a press