Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Laws when pedestrians ruled the streets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20, 12:17 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/755187...alking-history
Old 11-19-20, 12:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Money has a large effect on society on a macro level. It allows cultural norms to form and change. It allows crimes to be created or removed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-19-20, 01:04 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
TL; DR

No cliffnotes?
Old 11-19-20, 01:08 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Money, motors and oil.... Murderously destructive mental and environmental pollutants.

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 11-19-20 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 04:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I just call it common sense. Me vs. 3000 pound vehicle. I know I can stop faster, move out of the way easier, and avoid a collision with less effort than the vehicle. Common sense in my book regardless of who pushed the law or laws of the road.
Old 11-20-20, 04:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I just call it common sense. Me vs. 3000 pound vehicle. I know I can stop faster, move out of the way easier, and avoid a collision with less effort than the vehicle. Common sense in my book regardless of who pushed the law or laws of the road.
Get back to us about that after you've walked everywhere using a cane, walker or wheelchair. Try safely navigating most city and suburban designated intersections without daily conflicts with negligent drivers.

There's a reason why many people "jaywalk": It's often less dangerous than using designated intersection crosswalks that are deviously designed to kill people.

In my city most intersections permit vehicles to turn right on red, and left on flashing yellow. At the same time the pedestrian walk signals are on. Many drivers interpret "right on red *after* stopping" to mean "15 mph rolling right," and "left on flashing yellow *after* yielding to pedestrians and oncoming traffic" to mean "Get the hell out of my way or I'll mow you down."

At intersections a pedestrian is forced to look in every direction, even with a walk signal, because too many drivers don't give a damn about pedestrians.

Then try it from a wheelchair or walker, with walk signals that last 10 seconds or less.

But when you cross in the middle of the block, especially on boulevards with median strips, you only need to look in one direction at a time. It's safer. That's why so many people "jaywalk."

Do that for awhile and you'll be demanding safer intersections.