Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 04:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
I just picked up this last Friday.

I was looking for a frame to build and came across this on Craig's list. Never was a big Bianchi geek but once the weather clears up I'll ride it and see what the fuss is all about. I stripped everything off and cleaned and waxed the frame. Lubed all the bearings, replaced the Shimano cartridge bearing bottom bracket (don't think that was original) with a SKF roller bearing bb, new gear cables and San Marco saddle.

I ordered a pair of Modolo brake levers and Celeste cable housing.
Jimpierce,
Very nice, I think after riding it you will understand what the fuss is all about! I wish that mine was as clean as yours....but all is good.
Enjoy your Bianchi.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-15-21, 04:38 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Ben,
Which model do you have? I see a glimpse of red on the down tube similar to mine...
Old 02-15-21, 09:47 PM
bigjulie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1972 Lejeune Professional. Pix soon
Old 02-16-21, 01:31 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
I bought the Austro Daimler frame from Andy_K . I picked up a Trek 720 wheelset, Maillard hubs, Matrix Titan T rims. Used a Shimano RSX group and some Cinelli bars.
Spent a while working on some of the frame touch-ups, it had a history of fixie and had quite a few chips. Luckily it came with a bottle of fairly close touch-up paint.
Now, to wait for spring..

Last edited by daverup; 02-24-21 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-16-21, 03:28 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Durax Triple Cottered cranks on my Gitane Hosteller. Just looking for some 9mm cotters still, contacting some forum members first before ordering from a retailer. It will be my first time filing cotters, as I've lucked out in the past with a good LBS that somehow had perfect matches.
Old 02-16-21, 08:05 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 131 Posts
I've been working on this donated bike (late '80s Nishiki Custom) in order to Craigslist it for a non-profit. Decent 12-speed bike, worth the rehab.
Was pretty far along before finding out that the rear derailleur is FUBAR. *urk* Apparently someone thought the way to remove the chain was by bending the der all to hell. Oh well. Found a replacement on the bay, just gotta wait for it to arrive.

Last edited by NJgreyhead; 02-16-21 at 09:18 PM.
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 02-19-21, 01:53 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Since there's nothing else to do, as it's windy as hell, raining, and there's a 5km radius lockdown still in effect... let's do another bottom bracket check!

This time it's the 1996 Bianchi Ti Megatube.

I figured it would be fine, as I did it before and greased the hell out of everything correctly. But I didn't expect it to be this perfect. How long ago was it when I did it? Time flies, it was 2014!

When I changed it before, it was pretty crusty (see the 2014 photo with the original, along with the current one), though at that point it was probably the original from '96.

Here's the bike as it is today.

When I took the bottom bracket out today, Feb 2021.

When I installed it new in Aug 2014, along with the original crusty one that I removed. If I remember correctly, it did not come out easy.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 02-22-21, 08:58 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
This past Saturday, BF member @plonz gave me a nice Specialized Expedition to take out my frustrations on!

Two hours later, here is the result.

The cut I had to make was only 2.5" long, with the expander slot helping me out and guiding the "Alcatraz special" (hacksaw blade wrapped in electrical tape for a handle).

Poor stem, I wish I could have saved it. It was _really_ stuck. Inspired me to go around and regrease a couple seatposts and stems of my own. I realize as I get older and time speeds up, that this sort of thing could happen to me!
Old 02-23-21, 01:28 AM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Building new wheels for my '79 Fuji America.

Origin8 LD-2100 hubs, silver Sapim Laser spokes with silver-plated Sapin brass nipples, Pacenti Brevet 700c 36H roles.

Prepping the spokes.

4-cross.

These spokes are very thin, so I drew alignment lines with a Sharpie to keep an eye on windup. I probably also should have used pliers or a cable-holding tool to hold the spokes: it would have made the adjustments at high tension easier, and probably been better for the spokes than just winging it.

Tubeless tape for tubeless rim. Cotton tape would have built the rim bed too high, and this should serve as a smoother bed for the latex tubes as well.

Genuine SunTour high-performance aerodynamic wheel cover. Definitely not a spoke protector.

Wheels fully assembled with 28mm GP5000 tires, Vittoria 25/28mm latex tubes, and a Shimano TZ20 6-speed 14-28 freewheel. A SunRace freewheel would look nicer, but both times I've tried SunRace freewheels, the bearings began to fail within a few hundred miles. So Shimano it is.

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-23-21, 05:14 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev

Origin8 LD-2100 hubs, silver Sapim Laser spokes with silver-plated Sapin brass nipples, Pacenti Brevet 700c 36H roles.

Prepping the spokes.

Beautiful wheels!
Where did you end up buying your spokes and nipples? I have a few wheel projects in the future as well.
Old 02-23-21, 05:23 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
My Sunday nice weather project...

New grips and Microshift thumb shifters on my do all bike. Had to sort out derailleur alignment and shifting issues on this bike too.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 02-23-21, 08:36 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Not really bike related but I am working on rebuilding my 1/2" drive Snap On Impact wrench, IM 51. Here it is taken apart and with replacement parts kit on the right.

One of the challenges was to remove bearings and seals that were essentially blind holes. So I bought a blind hole bearing and seal remover kit.

Which I can use for the bikes with sealed bearings, like hubs, should the need arise. Also works on automotive bearings, I hope.

I have a mess of rims and wheels that I can't keep track of anymore. So a bunch of tags were ordered. They will work for a number of other projects too.
Old 02-23-21, 12:45 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Where did you end up buying your spokes and nipples?
From Wheelbuilder.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-24-21, 07:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Finally decided to get my thumb out and begin the final cleaning/polishing of a number of stems I've had sitting around awaiting refurbishment. Cleaned and polished up one of my Cinelli 1Rs to mate with a cleaned-up Campione del Mondo bar. I ended up with a lovely set to drop in as a replacement for the combo that was on the Medici; the stem in particular needed attention as it was missing some anodizing along the top and right side. Once I dropped the new one - already pre-taped and with a pair of brake clamps in place - I cabled up the brakes and am ready to go. Well, I was until I realized the polish job was too good and now the seatpost looked dull! I pulled it this afternoon and after an hour with bronze wool and varying sanding films I came up with a closely-matching finish I'm happy with.

Here's the ugly one; I'll be getting to this one day, but not soon because I'm out of anodizing stripper for the time being:

The new shiny bits:

DD
Old 02-24-21, 10:06 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

Here's the ugly one; I'll be getting to this one day, but not soon because I'm out of anodizing stripper for the time being:

DD
Really like the 1/R Stems! Have one on my ‘74 Moto GR. Had to replace the wedge once. But I’m esp fond of of the older logo (crest) on your bars. Have them on the Moto as well, ‘cept the bars are a bit too narrow. Wish they were 42 cm! Hard to find a decent replacement 66/42 w/ that cool looking crest,

Nice job on the polishing Jeff. I do that too, but use Drano crystals or my wife’s lye. Goes pretty quik...
Getting the nicks out is the hard part...
Old 02-26-21, 04:53 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Here's a tease...

You can pick up certain details from these clues. Other clues: frame is Asian and aluminum, black on silver theme...

EDIT: Oh. Neither vintage nor classic, unfortunately.
Old 02-27-21, 02:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I picked up a mixte for my wife last week. She doesn't appreciate the 39 year old brown paint job as much as me. If it is the difference between her liking the bike enough to ride with me once in a while or not, I guess I will look into spray.bike and give it a go.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-27-21, 02:43 PM
daverup 

Chocolate Carmel Bridgestone! I'll bet it will shine up nicely
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-27-21, 03:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Finally decided to get my thumb out and begin the final cleaning/polishing of a number of stems I've had sitting around awaiting refurbishment. Cleaned and polished up one of my Cinelli 1Rs to mate with a cleaned-up Campione del Mondo bar. I ended up with a lovely set to drop in as a replacement for the combo that was on the Medici; the stem in particular needed attention as it was missing some anodizing along the top and right side. Once I dropped the new one - already pre-taped and with a pair of brake clamps in place - I cabled up the brakes and am ready to go. Well, I was until I realized the polish job was too good and now the seatpost looked dull! I pulled it this afternoon and after an hour with bronze wool and varying sanding films I came up with a closely-matching finish I'm happy with.

The new shiny bits:

DD
Jeff, Same here....I worked a bit on this post for my current build....there's something satisfying about bringing back a little lustre to a worn finish.
I hope you're not having NAGO withdrawal, it was a beaut.

Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 02-27-21, 08:47 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Switching some things up on the single-speed Raleigh:

Cleaning up the look after running MAFAC Racers for the last however long. Should've done it sooner.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 02-27-21, 08:59 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
Chocolate Carmel Bridgestone! I'll bet it will shine up nicely
Discussing it over gumbo and craft beers tonight, she agrees the original paint needs to stay. If she rides it and doesn't like the color, I'll look for another survivor in a color she likes.

Old 02-27-21, 09:28 PM
daverup 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Discussing it over gumbo and craft beers tonight, she agrees the original paint needs to stay. If she rides it and doesn't like the color, I'll look for another survivor in a color she likes.
Nice! I think it was a great pick however it works out. I fixed up a 80's Centurion Mixte for my wife and she really likes it.
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-27-21, 09:45 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Two Japanese recycle hybrids that I am fixing up for some neighbors.
Old 02-28-21, 07:08 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev

Prepping the spokes.

4-cross.

These spokes are very thin, so I drew alignment lines with a Sharpie to keep an eye on windup. I probably also should have used pliers or a cable-holding tool to hold the spokes: it would have made the adjustments at high tension easier, and probably been better for the spokes than just winging it.

Tubeless tape for tubeless rim. Cotton tape would have built the rim bed too high, and this should serve as a smoother bed for the latex tubes as well.

Genuine SunTour high-performance aerodynamic wheel cover. Definitely not a spoke protector.

Wheels fully assembled with 28mm GP5000 tires, Vittoria 25/28mm latex tubes, and a Shimano TZ20 6-speed 14-28 freewheel. A SunRace freewheel would look nicer, but both times I've tried SunRace freewheels, the bearings began to fail within a few hundred miles. So Shimano it is.

This is the kind of pics and write up I can never seem to do. Thanks.
Old 03-04-21, 09:50 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I just finished this SR Semi pro. The bike came into the Bike exchange looking pretty tired. I decided to give it a repaint but didn't want to strip off all the old paint so I sanded and treated the rusty bits then sanded down the existing paint, primed with Rustoleum primer then again with Rustoleum primer filler for the pits and scratcher , sanded, then top coated with Rustoleum Hammered copper. Everything went well until I sprayed a coat of Rustoleum Automotive clear as a final coat. The solvents in the clear attacked the still soft undercoat and alligatored the paint around the lugs. Major PITA. I called the Rustoleum tech dept. and they told me that the clear has a mostly acetone solvent that, if the paint underneath isn't completely cured, will attack it and cause the alligatoring. I have used this clear successfully on a number of bikes over weathered original paint with great results but have had problems with a couple other repaints and have decided it is not worth the risk on new work. If you do want to clear coat new paint please let the paint cure for at least a couple weeks, preferably in the sunlight or a very warm place before spraying the clear.

After painting the bike I wanted to put a chain stay protector. I had a small piece of soft copper flashing I picked up on a construction site and cut it into shape them using 3m 90 spray adhesive. glued it to the stay and gave it a hammered finish.

Next up is a Windsor Carrera Sport coming soon. I understand the SR and the Carrera were both made by the same Mexican company.
Likes For capnjonny:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.