Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to find Hybrid bikes??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-23-21, 07:56 AM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Bikes: '15 Cervelo Di2 - '12 Serotta Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

So I knew there was a shortage last year but didn't realized it was still this bad. I just accepted a job on a very remote very small island in the S. Pacific and I wanna buy a couple of Hybrid bikes like the Giant Content AR. Cars are not allowed there so its the mode of transport. We are road cyclist but those bikes are staying here. We also have old clunky mtn bikes but I was really hoping to be able to find something in the next month to go with our shipping container. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Seems like I can find bike online but the LBS doesn't ship and the ones that do ship are like in Indonesia........ not sure I wanna have so much faith in that.
Old 07-23-21, 08:16 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
The Indonesian ones have a reputation for being a straight up scam.
Old 07-23-21, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
No one should want to find a hybrid bike. Buy your bike for what you want to ride the most with it.
Old 07-23-21, 11:19 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
REI
gm
Old 07-23-21, 11:39 AM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

[QUOTE=gringomojado;22154623]REI
gm[/QUOTE

They had like 6 bikes to look at here in Austin yesteday.
Old 07-23-21, 11:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
[QUOTE=Nanomite;22154651]
Originally Posted by gringomojado
REI
gm[/QUOTE

They had like 6 bikes to look at here in Austin yesteday.
But you only want a couple right? Sorry, couldn't resist. Do any of the European shops ship over there as they seem to have bikes in stock?
Old 07-23-21, 11:43 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Craigslist or Facebook Market place

The old clunky MTB's might have to be a temporary solution or convert them to hybrids.

Last edited by Ryno317; 07-23-21 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 07-23-21, 12:00 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I was at a Dick's store a month ago and was surprised to see the bike department packed with bikes. Are they good bikes? I dunno.... But it was the most bikes I've seen in one place in a long time.
Old 07-23-21, 02:35 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Originally Posted by Ryno317
Craigslist or Facebook Market place

The old clunky MTB's might have to be a temporary solution or convert them to hybrids.
Yeah.... I'm working on that by changing to a rigid carbon fork and smaller tires. The salt environment is really hard on bikes so I want at least 2 per person.
Old 07-23-21, 02:36 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Thanks for that on Dicks!
Old 07-23-21, 08:20 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Bikesdirect
Old 07-23-21, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Bikes have been in high demand and low supply for quite a while, the trick is to find some good shops and see what is possible and get it right away and DO NOT SHOP AROUND! I cannot tell you how many people who said "I am going to shop around, I will come back later" and then get enraged that the bike they really didn't want enough at the time was sold in a matter of hours or days or whatever, I still get that these days and it is ridiculous. If you see something of decent enough quality buy it. We might not see some product till 2023 and yes I did say TWENTY TWENTY THREE and no I am not joking.
Old 07-24-21, 05:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
No one should want to find a hybrid bike. Buy your bike for what you want to ride the most with it.
BS.

A decent hybrid is an excellent fit for urban riding, and my FX 3 really was an excellent flat bar road bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-24-21, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS.

A decent hybrid is an excellent fit for urban riding, and my FX 3 really was an excellent flat bar road bike.
To a certain extent it is BS.

I'd still recommend buying a bike for the intended majority use. If there are more than one intended use, then buy multiple bikes. Since many won't want to buy several bikes all at once, just fill the need for the majority of the expected riding first.
Old 07-24-21, 03:45 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts

I'd still recommend buying a bike for the intended majority use. If there are more than one intended use, then buy multiple bikes. Since many won't want to buy several bikes all at once, just fill the need for the majority of the expected riding first.
What if the intended use it to ride it? A hybrid seems like a perfectly reasonable choice based on the OP. I don’t get it.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-24-21, 07:57 PM
rwmct

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
FWIW, I went to the local bike shop about four weeks back. No hybrids in stock. They said they had some on order they expected in the next few weeks. I put a deposit down on a Giant Escape 2 Disc they had on order. had it about two weeks later. Point being, bikes are starting to ship. Find out what is coming in and reserve it before it gets there.
Old 07-25-21, 09:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Still total bs. First of all, literally no one actually asked for that advice. Obviously, op wants a hybrid, and you made it your mission to talk them out of it. Secondly, a hybrid may be the best bike for a person's intended use. My FX3 was clearly a road bike for people who prefer drop bars. It was a great fit for me at one point, and is now serving my son well as a campus commuter/recreational rider. He doesn't ride dirt, and he doesn't like drop bars, so how is that bike not "for the majority use"? Frankly, all that's being demonstrated here is that you don't know much about hybrids.

Seriously, no one needs to hear your disdain for a category of bikes. It's ok to have an unexpressed thought once in a while.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-26-21, 06:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://austin.craigslist.org/d/bicy...a?query=hybrid
Old 07-26-21, 06:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why not two folding bikes? Ease of transport, and compact size possibly permits storage inside in a damp climate. They ride no worse than hybrids do... I see plenty of folding bikes for sale on Craigslist or FB Marketplace.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-26-21, 07:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Still total bs. First of all, literally no one actually asked for that advice. Obviously, op wants a hybrid, and you made it your mission to talk them out of it. Secondly, a hybrid may be the best bike for a person's intended use. My FX3 was clearly a road bike for people who prefer drop bars. It was a great fit for me at one point, and is now serving my son well as a campus commuter/recreational rider. He doesn't ride dirt, and he doesn't like drop bars, so how is that bike not "for the majority use"? Frankly, all that's being demonstrated here is that you don't know much about hybrids.

Seriously, no one needs to hear your disdain for a category of bikes. It's ok to have an unexpressed thought once in a while.
Shorter trips and commuting around town possibly carrying cargo will be better served by a cruiser geometry bike. Hybrids do well for those that have never given cruisers a chance, but that doesn't make hybrids a great bike choice.
Old 07-26-21, 07:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Is there a difference between hybrid bikes and flat-bar road bikes? Serious question.

I think 3/4 of the bikes I see on a daily basis have flat bars. Adult bikes, that is.... Not kids on mountain bikes. And these aren't just commuters on short trips or carrying cargo.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 07-26-21 at 08:11 AM.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-26-21, 08:21 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
Shorter trips and commuting around town possibly carrying cargo will be better served by a cruiser geometry bike. Hybrids do well for those that have never given cruisers a chance, but that doesn't make hybrids a great bike choice.
either you’re trolling with the cruiser comment, or you’ve lost any credibility in this discussion.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 07-26-21, 08:31 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
But the OP didn't mention carrying cargo. I'd be willing to bet the OP knows their own bicycle needs better than you do.

To the OP, you might check Richardson Bike mart here in the metroplex. The have several stores, but the one with the largest inventory is the Richardson store. You can check stock on their web site, but I wouldn't trust it because bikes go in and out so fast. I'm not sure if they ship or not, but if you could find a couple of bikes there, it would likely be worth the drive.
Old 07-26-21, 08:37 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Is there a difference between hybrid bikes and flat-bar road bikes? Serious question.
The answer can be complicated by the fact that the word, "hybrid" is applied to a really wide range of bikes, spanning several decades.

That word by itself simply isn't enough to communicate what type of bike someone is thinking of; gotta have more details in order to have an opinion with any nuance.
Old 07-26-21, 08:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
either you’re trolling with the cruiser comment, or you’ve lost any credibility in this discussion.
And you apparently are just feeding the conversation... isn't that trolling.

Not taking into account the current inventory shortage of anything bicycle, Cruisers can be had for $400 and on up. They come in everything from single speed to 9 speed rears and more. IGH and derailleur equipped. Electric and not. Many come with a cargo rack or maybe a basket already which I would think preferable for the OP's intended use.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electra-bikes/c/EB100/?q=rice-asc:facetGender:facetGender1&page=0&pageSize=24

There are many other cruiser styles besides these from Trek. The biggest characteristic of a cruiser geometry to me is that the BB is further in front of the rider due to the more slanted seat tube. On many hybrids and road bikes that people want to sit upright on, they put seat posts on them with a lot of set back so they can sit more upright comfortably. If they'd bought a cruiser, they'd have that same upright comfortable saddle position with out all the fussing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.