Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to find Hybrid bikes??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where to find Hybrid bikes??

Old 07-26-21, 08:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
But the OP didn't mention carrying cargo. I'd be willing to bet the OP knows their own bicycle needs better than you do.

To the OP, you might check Richardson Bike mart here in the metroplex. The have several stores, but the one with the largest inventory is the Richardson store. You can check stock on their web site, but I wouldn't trust it because bikes go in and out so fast. I'm not sure if they ship or not, but if you could find a couple of bikes there, it would likely be worth the drive.
Well the OP said cars aren't allowed there and bike were the primary mode of transportation. So to me it is a reasonable assumption they will be carrying cargo.
Old 07-26-21, 10:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I feel like the OP is probably the best person to judge their needs. Also, I don't think people really think of hybrids as being a hybrid any more. It's a useful form factor in its own right. The industry felt compelled to explain themselves when they first started selling them, and now they are stuck with the name.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-26-21, 06:08 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Bikes: '15 Cervelo Di2 - '12 Serotta Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
It's so silly that someone takes the word "hybrid" as some sort of literal decision. It's a bike made for many uses and I call it whatever hybrid. Road and Mtn bikes are very specific. We ended finding 2 Cannondales at Mellow Johnny's downtown Austin that seem perfect. The Quick 4's. She bought the Quick 3 which has a carbon fork and 2 chain rings. Mine has one chain ring and a steel fork, Nice clean ride though and who needs chain rings on a island.

Likes For Nanomite:
Old 07-26-21, 06:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
If you are having issue finding something at a store, do you know anyone personally that might have some that they are not using? I sold a couple of bikes my wife and I were not really using to some friends that were looking. It was a great deal for them and allowed us clean out 2 spots in the garage, so a great deal for us. You never know unless you ask.

Old 07-26-21, 06:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Shorter trips and commuting around town possibly carrying cargo will be better served by a cruiser geometry bike. Hybrids do well for those that have never given cruisers a chance, but that doesn't make hybrids a great bike choice.
I've ridden both, and actually used both as commuters. I found the hybrid infinitely superior in terms of speed, rideability and convenience.

Last edited by TMonk; 07-27-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 07:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've ridden both, and actually used both as commuters. I found the hybrid infinitelyu sperior in terms of speed, rideability and convenience.
Speed isn't the goal of a cruiser. It's comfortable upright seating. If speed is your thing for comparison, then maybe TT bike should be in the mix.

If you'd not taken exception to me expressing my opinion in my first post in this thread, then very likely that will have been my only reply. You and several other have done nothing but encourage my participation in this discussion.
Old 07-28-21, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of people commuting on a TT bike, but when I do commute by bike, I do ride in excess of 20 mph on the flat. A good fitness hybrid is more than capable of such speed, a good cruiser probably isn't. I have used a cruiser as a commuter when I lived in New Orleans, it's a great bike for riding on truly awful roads. When I commuted on a hybrid, my commute included train rides on two different systems (Caltrain and BART). A cruiser would have been a terrible choice for that as taking up and down stairs, etc. would have been a nightmare. I didn't even consider it.

Point is that the hybrid was actually the ideal bike for that commute and it was also fun to ride when I wasn't commuting. The folding bike could have been easier to carry on the transit, but I didn't even know such a thing existed at the time (1995 or so), and I don't think I'd have enjoyed riding it around the Bay Area as much as I did my nice hybrid. I know people do such things, but there aren't a lot of them.
Old 07-29-21, 05:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Nanomite
just accepted a job on a very remote very small island in the S. Pacific
Fiji?