Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Comfort bike recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 11:30 PM
ggregory

Bikes: specialized allez pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I'm considering buying a 2018 Giant Cypress 7 speed on craigs list .
owner is asking $250,is that a fair price and is it a decent bike for casual city riding?
Thanks
Old 03-17-20, 11:38 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3072620/
Old 03-18-20, 09:49 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Keep in mind that the Bicycle Bluebook underestimates the value of every bike. They seem to think that they all depreciate at the rate of a new Jaguar rolling off the lot.
Old 03-18-20, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ggregory
Hi I'm considering buying a 2018 Giant Cypress 7 speed on craigs list .
owner is asking $250,is that a fair price and is it a decent bike for casual city riding?
Thanks

Seems a bit high for a used Tourney 7 speed. I think it retailed new for about $360.

It will be decent for casual use if it's in good condition, but I wouldn't pay that much if it needs ANY work.
Old 03-18-20, 10:17 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If it's in good shape and you can test ride it, I'd pay $225 for it if you like it. You might offer less. If I really liked it I'd pay the asking price if he doesn't come down. The extra $25 is worth it if it means I don't have too keep looking for something that may never come.

I have their Sedona which is a similar design with the upright rider position. I'm very happy with the bike. Despite it's entry level price it's rear cassette shift's effortlessly, The triple chainring works fine too most of the time, And it's rim brakes have all the stopping power most folks need for the speeds this bike is normally ridden at and they even work in the rain with a bit more effort, It also handles predictably. I'll probably buy another Giant bike when the time comes.

I might have bought the Cypress myself, But was put off by the rear cassette's spacing. The jump from 1'st to 2'nd (24T to 34T) is bigger then I like. Probably fine for a most headwinds you'll ride into or climbing not too steep grades though. The lowest gear will tackle a moderate wind and moderately steep hills, But there is nothing in between. The 28/38/48 triple chainring on their Sedona mitigates the big gap nicely. It never dawned on me I could have had the bike shop swap out the cassette for one with a closer low ratio's. I do love the simpler clean look of the Cypress with it's 1x chainring. Should be a fine bike for casual rides on average roads and MUP and Light trails/Gravel. Even short commuting.

If the roads or trails are rougher or you want to do more adventure riding, I'd recommend a used, or new if your budget permits Giant Cypress DX, Sedona DX, or another bike with suspension forks. I whish I had them now.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 03-18-20, 04:42 PM
ggregory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-18-20, 04:44 PM
ggregory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information
Old 03-18-20, 04:45 PM
ggregory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing your opinion
Old 03-18-20, 05:11 PM
ggregory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuter/comfort bike recommendations

Hi,I'm a senior recovering from knee surgery .seeking suggestions for buying a commuter/comfort bike.
Would like 7 speed,<30lb,<$400,decent components
thanks
Old 03-18-20, 07:27 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ggregory
Hi,I'm a senior recovering from knee surgery .seeking suggestions for buying a commuter/comfort bike.
Would like 7 speed,<30lb,<$400,decent components
thanks
Before buying a bike it's good practice to test ride it to make sue it fits you properly and is comfortable. You can buy a brand new decent bike between $400-$500, for example Giant Cypress, Trek Verve, Specialized Roll or Crossroads. Sometimes a bike shop would have a brand new model from a previous year that you can buy for less. Good luck finding the right bike.
Old 03-19-20, 04:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would look at a Specialized Roll or something like that. The Roll is a very comfortable bike and not a heavy klunky "comfort bike" that isn't all that comfortable. I would avoid Tourney at all costs as it is an extremely low quality derailleur that needs more service and replacement. Get something decent that you are comfortable on and that will shift and brake well for a longer period of time.