Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to find the correct bike size without a fitting?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 05:53 AM
Reef95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new here and I'm hoping to have a nice long stay. It's been a while since I've joined a forum.

I'm a male around 5'11 with a 32" inseam and around 165 lbs. and almost every guide I've looked into puts me smack dab in the middle of M and L for bike sizes. The particular bike that I'm looking into getting is a 2019 Norco Yorkville, simply for the reason that it's one of the few bikes that falls into my price range in the small city I live in.

The Norco website has a sizing chart and it recommends that I actually purchase the Norco Yorkville in XL size. After seeing this I decided to find a forum to join and see if anyone has experience with this bike.

I feel like a lot of people are going to tell me to get a proper bike fitting but after looking into a service like that in my area the lowest price is $200 for a fitting, which I feel is just a stupid insane price for a fitting (I could be wrong).. so I'm trying my best to avoid this route for this purchase.

This particular bike shop only offers the Norco Yorkville in size L, and I've been hesitating on pulling the trigger for some time now not knowing if this is the correct size. I'll just be using this bike for very casual bikes around town, heading to work, and down some small hiking paths, nothing intense.

Should I pull the trigger on a L Norco Yorkville? Any help/tips/information is super helpful since it's been a while since I've actually hopped on a bike.

Thanks,
Reef

Last edited by Reef95; 07-02-21 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 06:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
After a cursory scan of the product description for the 2019 Norco Yorkville, here are some observations that may help you.

You're looking at a hybrid bike. It's a step-over compact frame, with 700c wheels and an adjustable stem. This means that each size increment is meant to fit over a wide(r) range of riders. Another way to say this is that absolute fit measurements aren't as necessary for this type of bicycle. The adjustable quill stem would allow you to position the bars where you need them for comfort.

I'm a bit taller than you with similar leg length. I have a longer torso. I would guess with pretty high confidence that the Large size would work very well for you.

What is the shop's return/exchange policy if you're not satisfied with the purchase?

Good luck. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-02-21, 06:45 AM
Reef95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
After a cursory scan of the product description for the 2019 Norco Yorkville, here are some observations that may help you.

You're looking at a hybrid bike. It's a step-over compact frame, with 700c wheels and an adjustable stem. This means that each size increment is meant to fit over a wide(r) range of riders. Another way to say this is that absolute fit measurements aren't as necessary for this type of bicycle. The adjustable quill stem would allow you to position the bars where you need them for comfort.

I'm a bit taller than you with similar leg length. I have a longer torso. I would guess with pretty high confidence that the Large size would work very well for you.

What is the shop's return/exchange policy if you're not satisfied with the purchase?

Good luck. PG
Thanks for the informative reply. I didn't actually think about return policies, I'll look into that right now!
Old 07-02-21, 07:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
As Phil pointed out, that type of bike is very versatile/accommodating as to size. If you can sit on the bike in the shop and it doesn't feel wildly "wrong" then you should be good to go.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-02-21, 07:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Does the bike shop let you test ride the bike? That will give you a good idea of whether you can actually put some miles on the thing.

I'm finding the XL recommendation shocking and am happy to hear you're disregarding it. I find that erring on the side of slightly too big is a disaster, but slightly too small can be compensated for with adjustments. Phil_gretz is spot on, that bike is extremely adaptable, but no bike has a shrink ray feature.

Old 07-02-21, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
If the manufacturer sizing guide shows you as being good for two sizes then pick one. If you have no other experience, then trust them. Generally the smaller size will feel a tad more sporty.

Don't spend all your money on your first bike. If you get to riding a lot you probably will want another bike that is more appropriate to the riding style you evolved into.
Old 07-02-21, 08:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Reef95

I feel like a lot of people are going to tell me to get a proper bike fitting but after looking into a service like that in my area the lowest price is $200 for a fitting, which I feel is just a stupid insane price for a fitting (I could be wrong).. so I'm trying my best to avoid this route for this purchase.
In my experience you don't need a professional bike fit. It's very easy to make all the adjustments yourself at home. All you need is to choose a right size bike for your height...After doing a couple of rides you may have to make some minor adjustments to your saddle and handlebars and that's it. If you're new to cycling you will experience some discomfort at first until you get used to being in the saddle.
Old 07-02-21, 10:06 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
In my experience you don't need a professional bike fit. It's very easy to make all the adjustments yourself at home.
I would agree with this statement, IF, you are not having significant longer term troubles.

As an experienced cyclist returning to cycling after several decades, I was having serious knee trouble, to the point where I thought I might not be able to continue cycling.
A professional Bike fit both diagnosed and fixed the issue instantly. It could've taken me weeks, if I even found the problem at all.
During manufacturing one leg was attached incorrectly with a slight twist. All it took was a slight rotation of the cleat on one shoe.

Barry
Old 07-02-21, 11:38 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Some sizing guides may be better than others. I've test ridden every bike I've owned. I was considering a hybrid a while back (not Norco), and the sizing guide said a medium was the correct size. Went to a shop that, at the time (prior covid), had both a medium and a large in stock. The medium was much too small, while the large fit just right. If you can, test ride the bike. If you can't rest ride, as mentioned, check out the return policy and see when another size would be available. XL sounds like would be be too large for you, as prev.mentioned.
Old 07-02-21, 11:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Reef95
The Norco website has a sizing chart and it recommends that I actually purchase the Norco Yorkville in XL size.
The Norco Yorkville size chart recommends L size for heights 5'6-1/2" to 5'10-1/2", and XL size for heights 5'9-1/2" t0 6'2-1/2".

Trust the company's recommendations. At 5'11", you'll fit more easily on the XL.

Old 07-02-21, 11:58 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts

Easier to make a smaller frame longer than a larger frame shorter. That said, with the slant on the top tube, I'd go large at your height.

Last edited by curbtender; 07-02-21 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For curbtender: