Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Specialized Stumpjumper found in Dumpster!

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 05-19-20, 06:16 PM
Joeandkristy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Hey Folks, I shared this in the introduction thread - and now that I have hit my ten post quota I can post here and ask for help!

I found this Specialized Stumpjumper in a dumpster and could use some help determining if what I will need to spend on fixing it up to keep (not sale) is worth the financial investment. When I first brought it home, I bought two tires and tubes, stuck them on, and it rode incredible (minus the shifting problems). The deraileurs, shifters, cables all seem like they need to be replaced. The chain popped when shifting gears and broke two rear spokes - so now the rear tire needs two spokes.

Here are some pictures of my dump bike. If anybody can help me identify it, that would be amazing. I apologize for probably going overboard with the pictures - I am new to the biking world, and have had a difficult time identifying the year of this bike. It is super light and I really hope that the frame is worth investing in.

My sense is that I will need to replace:
  • Brake cables
  • Shifter cables
  • Deraileur and entire shifting system
  • sprockets (teeth are worn and broken)
  • Grease/repack bearings
I would love all the helpful and constructive input I can get!

Thanks!

Specialized Stumpjumper.

This is the seat that it came with from dumpster.

X-2+2 Engraved on handlebar

Serial or Model Number printed on bottom of crank: DS527104

shifter

Shimano PD-MX15

Original rims?

Unishift Control
Likes For Joeandkristy:
Old 05-19-20, 06:31 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Wow, that’s a really early one. Maybe 1984? Quite a find! Looks like good condition as well.
Old 05-19-20, 06:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Great find. For starters: Do the work yourself. That alone will make many projects worthwhile regardless of monetary outlay.

Cables & housing are cheap & a given when it comes to these things. It'll be $30 well spent. I like stainless steel cables & compressionless brake housing. But galvanized cables & coil brake housing works well & costs less.

Derailleurs usually are not worn so bad that they are a problem that can not be corrected.

The spoke situation can be addressed by a competent mechanic. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a wheel to a shop for a tune & true. File this to the "basic maintenance" catagory of expenses. For one it help build a relationship with a shop & for 2 not many people have the right length of spoke & a truing stand on hand. For 3, it can help address any lingering tension/fatigue issues. With 2 broken spokes already, it sounds like the may be some that need addressing.

Good find & good luck. They are very reputable bikes.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-19-20, 06:38 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Before spending any more money, is it your size? That frame looks to be around a 24" so you should be taller than 6ft at least. The slammed saddle, makes me think it's too big for you.

It's a good looking bike.
Old 05-19-20, 06:42 PM
Joeandkristy

Originally Posted by katsup
Before spending any more money, is it your size? That frame looks to be around a 24" so you should be taller than 6ft at least. The slammed saddle, makes me think it's too big for you.

It's a good looking bike.
I am just barely over 6'.
Old 05-19-20, 06:45 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeandkristy
I am just barely over 6'.
Measure the frame size of your Stumpjumper. You'd likely fit best on a 20-22" frame.
Old 05-19-20, 07:24 PM
Joeandkristy

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Wow, that’s a really early one. Maybe 1984? Quite a find! Looks like good condition as well.
So a 1984? Is there any way I can be sure of the date?
Old 05-19-20, 07:33 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
So a 1984? Is there any way I can be sure of the date?
1. Check component date codes.

2. Check Tmars serial number database.

3. Way too big for you at 6 foot.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-19-20, 07:44 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
I think the Deer Head logo dates it to the '84-'86 model years. As a mountain bike, it is huge. As a road-ridden bike, it's rather large. Normally, a 24" framed road bike would fit a person with a 32"ish inseam. A mountain bike has a higher bottom bracket, so a 24" framed bike might fit someone with a 34"ish inseam. One might say "It's a Nutcracker! Sweet!"

A very nice find!
Old 05-19-20, 07:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
It's now a DumpStumper!
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-19-20, 08:03 PM
Joeandkristy

Originally Posted by wrk101
1. Check component date codes.

2. Check Tmars serial number database.

3. Way too big for you at 6 foot.
I hate to be high maintenance - could you provide the correct link to the TMARS serial number database?
I did find what I thought what could have been the database - but it seemed to be to search for a stolen bike. (I searched - the closest thing was a Kent bike...)
Old 05-19-20, 08:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Im 6ft and have ride a similar 80's Specialized and tend to ride big. So figure this bike is for 6ft rider.
Old 05-19-20, 09:10 PM
Joeandkristy

Originally Posted by base2
Great find. For starters: Do the work yourself. That alone will make many projects worthwhile regardless of monetary outlay.

Cables & housing are cheap & a given when it comes to these things. It'll be $30 well spent. I like stainless steel cables & compressionless brake housing. But galvanized cables & coil brake housing works well & costs less.

Derailleurs usually are not worn so bad that they are a problem that can not be corrected.

The spoke situation can be addressed by a competent mechanic. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a wheel to a shop for a tune & true. File this to the "basic maintenance" catagory of expenses. For one it help build a relationship with a shop & for 2 not many people have the right length of spoke & a truing stand on hand. For 3, it can help address any lingering tension/fatigue issues. With 2 broken spokes already, it sounds like the may be some that need addressing.

Good find & good luck. They are very reputable bikes.
Thank you! This is very helpful
Old 05-19-20, 09:11 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

...provide the correct link to the TMARS serial number database?...
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html
Old 05-19-20, 11:12 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Nice! Who the heck would throw that? Insane. If it doesn't fit you,flip it.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-20-20, 04:09 AM
MaxDB

Bikes: Batavus Comanche, Fangio Vitus 788

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts
Incredible what people throw away in dumpsters 😂
Nice colour as well, and all the alu seems to be corrosion free as well so not too much work on it except degreasing drivetrain, regreasing bearings etc, looks like fun!

​​​​​​Enjoy that!
Likes For MaxDB:
Old 05-20-20, 06:08 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
One of the early MTBs. It's a large size, which is hard to find. It also has the original components that are valuable. Forget about MTBs not being worth anything. Stumpjumpers and Rockhoppers are selling for big bucks. Great catch!
Old 05-20-20, 06:24 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
I think the Deer Head logo dates it to the '84-'86 model years. As a mountain bike, it is huge. As a road-ridden bike, it's rather large. Normally, a 24" framed road bike would fit a person with a 32"ish inseam. A mountain bike has a higher bottom bracket, so a 24" framed bike might fit someone with a 34"ish inseam. One might say "It's a Nutcracker! Sweet!"

A very nice find!
Not this 32 Inseam person. More like a 22 Inch-23 Inch.

The first thing I thought when I saw the pic is the owner is 6'3". Then I said it's a pretty bike, I wonder if the owner can fit it?

It sounds like it's too big. Flip it and live for another day, I had a pretty decent dumpster find last year. Unfortunately it wasn't this clean or I would have got close to double my price. (I sold it in less than a day.)

You might get $300 for this bike. More in parts.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-20-20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 10:56 AM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Perhaps some definition of terms is in order. A cyclist, when fitting a frame, will measure from the floor to the crotch area, and do so either in shoes or not and in shorts or not, depending on his preference and fitter. However, the measurement will be from the floor to the crotch.

The OP is new to cycling and I was talking to him, trying to provide an explanation of why the bike might not be the best fit. If you ask any man-on-the-street what his inseam is, he'll tell you what size pants he wears, not the measurement from the floor to his crotch. I was using this vernacular to talk to the OP.

I am 6' 3" tall and wear 32" inseam trousers. My bike has a horizontal top tube. The seat tube is 24" with a stand-over height of 34". In my era, that was a proper fit. In today's era, with sloping or V-shaped top tubes, radically extended seat posts, who is to say that standover height is even a concern, rather obviating the seat tube dimension.
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 05-20-20, 03:33 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Put up some pictures of the worn and broken sprocket teeth. Given the condition of this bike taken out of a dumpster, my bet is that it was never ridden enough for cogs or chainrings to be worn or broken. Right out of the dumpster, this bike looks as if it has been sitting on a showroom floor without being touched for about 35 years. My bet is that those "worn" and "broken" teeth are shift aids designed into the drivetrain. This bike needs an overhaul done by someone who can properly assess the real condition of the bike. The only downside is the very large frame size. Too bad, I am sure that many, many very tall dads who went shopping in Walmart would happily pay a very decent price for this gem
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-20-20, 04:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Looking at the pics I see only light wear on the 14t small cog these cogs had slight ramping twist on the smaller cogs and some teeth short than others by design to improve shifting.. Also since there looks to be no significant pulley or chain wear I would agree that the bike wasn't road much and after a bit of clean up the drive train will likely be fine probably only need a new rear shift cable and maybe a chain.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-20-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 07:16 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I'm amazed that somebody would throw that in the trash. But, I've got experience in that area. One of my best bikes was rescued from a neighborhood dump in New Jersey. So, this is the world we live in. Life in the USA!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-20, 07:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
[QUOTE=Joeandkristy;21485431]Hey Folks, I shared this in the introduction thread - and now that I have hit my ten post quota I can post here and ask for help!

I found this Specialized Stumpjumper in a dumpster and could use some help determining if what I will need to spend on fixing it up to keep (not sale) is worth the financial investment. When I first brought it home, I bought two tires and tubes, stuck them on, and it rode incredible (minus the shifting problems). The deraileurs, shifters, cables all seem like they need to be replaced. The chain popped when shifting gears and broke two rear spokes - so now the rear tire needs two spokes.

Here are some pictures of my dump bike. If anybody can help me identify it, that would be amazing. I apologize for probably going overboard with the pictures - I am new to the biking world, and have had a difficult time identifying the year of this bike. It is super light and I really hope that the frame is worth investing in.

My sense is that I will need to replace:
  • Brake cables
  • Shifter cables
  • Deraileur and entire shifting system
  • sprockets (teeth are worn and broken)
  • Grease/repack bearings
I would love all the helpful and constructive input I can get!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Dude, that's an amazing find! Please don't part it out, it's such a beautiful, rare bike. I'm sure you can sell it for some bucks, enough to make it worth the trouble of fixing it up. It's waiting to be somebody's heart bike.

I'll bet your derailleur isn't broken, it probably just needs to be adjusted. I agree with others that the teeth aren't worn and broken, it was a style. Freaked me out the first time I saw them.

Please keep us updated on your decisions.
Old 05-20-20, 07:59 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Based on the pictures the bike looks like it had little use and and is in good shape. The only cable I can see is the front brake cable and it is not corroded, I would say the bike lived inside. Looking at the rear cassette I don't see much wear. Note that on those cassettes some teeth are shorter, probably something to aid shifting pre-ramped gears. It really sounds like it just needs a good tune up, and likely all the bearings regreased as the original grease will just be wax, or even thicker by now. I would also check the rear derailleur hanger and the derailleur itself to make sure they are not bent in. I say this as the derailleur looks like it took a hit based on the scapes,and if it went into your spokes it might be bent and also the source of you shifting problems. If your good you can straighten it by eye, but I prefer a derailleur alighnment tool which your LBS or bike COOP should have.
Old 05-20-20, 08:47 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Somebody threw that in the dumpster? What an idiot!!! It's in better shape than some of the vintage bikes posted on CL.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.