Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Suspension Stems

Old 05-20-22, 02:46 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Suspension Stems

I'm thinking about buying one of the two available suspension stems to help smooth out those washboard roads and the expansion joints that clutter up most of the old roads around here. I ride a surly straggler with 700x35's but still need a to mitigate these bumps especially on longer rides. Years ago I had one on a mountain bike and it helped soften the ride. I would love to hear about your experiences with suspension stems on a true gravel bike.
Old 05-20-22, 03:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Redshift Shockstop on his aluminum Trek Crockett. He doesn't use tubeless tires, and he likes it a lot. I took it for a spin and it certainly does what it's supposed to. IMO, it makes sense if you're running narrower tires and/or tubes; not sure I'd feel the need for it on a bike with wider tubeless tires; depends on the surface. I do like that it looks like a normal stem. With its seemingly no-risk trial period, it's worth trying.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-20-22, 06:05 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
+1 Redshift. yup, I've heard nothing but good for redshift.

My bike maxes out at 38mm, but I can easily put a 50mm on the front, so I do that - at about 27psi it is pretty absorbent.

I find with a properly fitted bike, I put no weight on my arms and hands, so a rough front in isn't a problem.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-20-22, 07:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Redshift stem - Awesome! Love mine! running on a Poseidon X with upgraded wheels, tubeless front 42 mm, 32-33 psi
makes a huge difference in better handling - better control on really chunk sections and where an mtb might be at home.
The small amount of gravel and packed dirt I ride feels as though I'm on road.
also takes the sharp edge off the constant bumping... makes longer rides way more fun.
I use the 2 softest elastomers of the supplied 5, and find no lack of control (actually better than solid stem) and really don;t 'feel' any movement until I might have a large hit or drop.
makes riding most anywhere, except the truly knarly, possible and fun.
a bit pricey - but I'm gonna get a lot of use and many more miles than a solid stem.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-21-22, 05:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I remember well the awful mtb suspension stems of the 1990s, and was skeptical when I saw them pop up again recently for gravel bike.

But a friend got one (I believe a Redshift) on her bike and on the short spin I took, I was impressed. It did what it said it would, and was fairly unobtrusive in terms of extraneous motion.

Its not for everyone (I’m not tempted), but it seems like a legit option.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-21-22, 04:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
We have both (on two different bikes). My wife has some significant wrist issues, and both have been very helpful. You can't really go wrong with either. The only negative is the weight penalty.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-23-22, 08:06 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
We have tested the Redshift stem at our shop for a few hundred mikes. It works very well. Not as well as the Lauf fork, but as a lower-cost solution it is pretty good. Definitely sucks up most of the roughness of some roads.

Last edited by dwmckee; 05-24-22 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 05-24-22, 09:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
^ Plus the redshift stem is closer in appearance to a traditional looking stem than a Lauf fork is to a traditional looking fork. Appearance isnt everything, but its definitely something.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-24-22, 11:53 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
I’ve done ~ 6000miles with my redshift with either 45-622 or 50-584.
i ride mostly xc trails and it works well. The elastomer blocks are still in good shape.

On some off road terrain, i would not ride as fast without this stem.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 05-25-22, 11:03 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Redshift…best money ever spent on my gravel rig.
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 05-25-22, 01:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I tried the Lauf fork (connected to a Lauf bike) on my favorite off-road ride. I definitely prefer the Redshift stem.
Old 05-26-22, 01:07 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I've used a Redshift on my gravel bike for several years To me, the benefit is not necessarily for big bumps, but for the buzz of rough roads and gravel.