Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Bicycle Show

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Bicycle Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 12:36 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
For those who haven't been, the ACD collection is not just Auburns, Cords and Duesenbergs. My most memorable moment was when I was chatting with a docent about old cars in general, and I mentioned how a dear friend had died crashing his beloved aluminum-body '66 Shelby Cobra into a large '73 Mercury. He motioned me to a corner of the room, and there it was, an exact copy of Dennis's car. Gave me a chill.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 05-22-22, 06:59 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Speaking of the ACD museum, I think my father donated a pair of GoldenHawk model cars that his uncle had received when he bought a new one in the 50s. I remember him saying he was going to donate them up to the museum, but I don't remember if he ever did.
Old 05-22-22, 03:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Speaking of the ACD museum, I think my father donated a pair of GoldenHawk model cars that his uncle had received when he bought a new one in the 50s. I remember him saying he was going to donate them up to the museum, but I don't remember if he ever did.
Nice, but I would think they would be more at home in the Studebaker museum.
Old 05-22-22, 04:12 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Nice, but I would think they would be more at home in the Studebaker museum.
Doh! Too many automotive musueums in northern IN
Old 05-23-22, 08:35 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
I wanted to bump this to start to get a better gauge on who here may be attending!

https://www.classicbicyclesauburn.com/

It’s time NOW to register for Classic Bicycles Auburn. To ensure that this event meets our high standards, enough people need to commit and register before June 5. Now is also the time to reserve your hotel room for the event, so the blocks at the host hotels aren’t released. A large convention arrives the following week.

Classic Bicycles Auburn is set for August 26-28 at the incredible Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. Check out its website! Surrounded by the pinnacle of American automobile design, the very best vintage bicycles from around the world will be on display. A local club is organizing rides from the venue, and there will be seminars, demonstrations, a swap meet, and a banquet.

Our vintage bicycle community has had too few opportunities to gather these past couple of years. We hope you will join our expected guests including Rich Gangl, Jeffrey Bock, Mark Nobilette, Wayne Bingham, Peter Gilbert, John Barron, and many others.

Classic Bicycles Auburn is an independently organized event with proceeds benefiting the museum.

Old 05-23-22, 12:54 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I'm in!

Driving in with the Mini. I hope to have 4 bikes to show, 1 bike to ride and 1 bike to sell.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-16-22, 03:19 PM
alexihnen 

Quick update - or a notice that there will be more concrete info to share soon. The seminar schedule is coming along and will feature what I think we would all agree are some of the best of the best of American framebuilders. Can. Not. Wait.

Vendor spots are starting to fill for the swap as well. Make sure you're staying up-to-date on the Facebook and Instagram feeds:

Classic Bicycles Auburn - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Bic...01109739241781

Classic Bicycles Auburn - Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/classic_bicycles_auburn/
Old 07-05-22, 03:41 PM
mikekone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 14 Posts
Hi Folks,

We're still finalizing the seminar schedule for Classic Bicycles Auburn. We just heard from a few additional "stars" such as Richard Schwinn that they expect participate in the presentations. So we're looking over the roster of presenters and tweaking topics in order to take full advantage of the talent we'll be learning from. The idea is that even those with lots of vintage bicycle experience will learn new things. And those just building their knowledge base will also be comfortable. In other words, something for everyone. It's all about having fun of course! And it won't all be "lectures". It looks like there will be a fun film to watch, and maybe some shorter "show and tell" break out sessions. After all, the event is largely about hanging out with friends new and old and sharing our passion for vintage bicycles. So during the seminars there will be ample down time for snacks and kicking back.

Regarding logistics, if you're flying in, book ASAP as fares are only going higher and it's getting harder to find open seats to fly into Fort Wayne. The good news is that Auburn is a comfortable drive from either Indy or Detroit.

Also, there are 3 hotels that have room blocks for the event. The SureStay and the Comfort Suites should be filling up this week. The third hotel (unlike the others, it doesn't have a room reserved for folks to assemble bikes in) is getting fewer reservations - and they are likely to release rooms out of the block if reservations don't come in by July 10th. So reserve your rooms ASAP (you can always cancel, each hotel has different policies on that). Hotels other than the three (they're on the show's website) are very difficult to access by bicycle. That said, there are many hotels outside Auburn that are a bit further away. But why be away from the action?

Mike Kone
Lead Organizer
Classic Bicycles Auburn
Old 07-11-22, 09:22 AM
alexihnen 

I wanted to share that Richard Schwinn will be presenting at Classic Bicycles Auburn! He will focus on pre-war Schwinn Paramounts. I just completed reading "No Hands: The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company", a book every bicycle enthusiast should read. Richard is the great-grandson of Schwinn founder Ignaz Schwinn and today carries the family tradition in cycling at Waterford Precision Cycles. Waterford was formed as an off-shoot of Schwinn when it was acquired in the early 90s after nearly a century of being owned and operated by the Schwinn family.

This is a call for pre-war Schwinn bikes to be presented at Classic Bicycles Auburn as well. The pre-war Paramounts were unique in many ways and it would be amazing to have some bikes there.
Old 07-14-22, 12:18 PM
alexihnen 

Bumping this thread as we near the registration deadline for the seminars. I can't wait to share the lineup as we're able. Of course, it's worth the trip for the museum and swap meet, but now with Richard Schwinn and more of the schedule...well, I hope to see you there!

Likes For alexihnen:
Old 07-15-22, 12:32 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
If I weren't on the West Coast with a one year old child, I'd be all over this. A Mike Kone event in the Midwest doesn't come along often. Everyone that can attend, should....
Old 07-15-22, 06:25 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
If I weren't on the West Coast with a one year old child, I'd be all over this. A Mike Kone event in the Midwest doesn't come along often. Everyone that can attend, should....
You could bring the little tyke, Bob.
Old 07-15-22, 07:23 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
With nothing to show, only to swap, will skip it.
Thought about coming back from CO early, but logistics lose balance.
Should be a good show. Enjoy
Old 07-15-22, 07:47 AM
smontanaro 

I believe there will be some very good seminars. Doug Fattic, Jeff Bock, and Rich Gangl (I think I have those three correct) will be there) will be there as well. More than just a swap meet.
Old 07-15-22, 09:06 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I'm in!

Driving in with the Mini. I hope to have 4 bikes to show, 1 bike to ride and 1 bike to sell.
You're putting 4 bikes IN a Mini? I have to see that!
Old 07-15-22, 09:43 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I believe there will be some very good seminars. Doug Fattic, Jeff Bock, and Rich Gangl (I think I have those three correct) will be there) will be there as well. More than just a swap meet.
No doubt. Seminars are not my environment.
We've committed to the Triple Bypass.
At least I'll be able to do more CO riding/hiking:
1-Copper Triangle
2-The Incline
3-(formerly) Mt. Evans

Just a matter of timing, different things, and I can only do either once.
I will remember the riding longer, if I survive.

Should be a great weekend for you guys.
Old 07-27-22, 05:12 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
This thread needs a bump. The one bike I wanted to sell is out because of some unfortunate circumstances. But this is what I plan to show.

Rola 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus001 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Frejus 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 07-27-22, 05:23 AM
smontanaro 

I'm now registered for Saturday and Sunday. Not sure which bike I'll bring, probably just something to ride, maybe the Griffon.

Old 07-27-22, 07:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
At the Henry Ford they drove us around in a Model T.

At the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg they did not drive us around in a dual-cowl phaeton.

Hmph.

Likes For tcs:
Old 07-27-22, 12:40 PM
mikekone

Ah, but at the Henry Ford Museum they only have one Duesenberg to look at. What fun is that?

Hopefully cool bike to look at on August 28th at Classic Bicycles Auburn will also make up for the lack of a ride...

There are some really great bikes being registered for the Sunday show - and lots of vendors are bringing some great vintage goodies to sell. It will be a great show!
Likes For mikekone:
Old 07-27-22, 02:45 PM
alexihnen 

A big update for the weekend. This is shaping up to be something really special! I've seen the work that goes into a weekend like this and am in awe of the vintage bike community and its generosity. So, here's some bike news!

First, Stephen Bilenky will be joining us from Philadelphia, likely joining a panel discussion and Q&A.
Stephen along with Jeff Bock and others, were building French-style randonneur bikes before they became "popular" in the US. Now the industry is in transition again towards gravel (new-randonneuring?), and it will be great to hear Stephen's take.

Mark Nobilette, Rich Gangl, Jeff Bock, Doug Fattic will also be with us for the weekend!
Speaking of Rich Gangl, he's built some spectacular "tribute" bikes which are really a series of bikes representing those used by Eddy Merckx. He recently completed a Merckx hour record bike clone with the smallest details captured beautifully. It needs to be seen and examined to be believed. He'll have this and his other machines on display over the course of the weekend.
Doug Fattic will be presenting "Advanced topics in Frame Building and Design" at the Friday afternoon seminars.
Jeff Bock will present a seminar on paintwork - more details to follow.
Richard Schwinn's talk on the early Paramounts will be on Saturday afternoon.

Please feel free to ask questions about the seminars.
And there's more to come! We hope to see you in Auburn!

A peek at Rich Gangl's Merckx tribute bike:

Last edited by alexihnen; 07-27-22 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 07-29-22, 02:39 PM
mikekone

For folks who haven't registered yet, if you're just attending on Sunday no need to preregister (unless you're showing a bike).

But, if you wish to attend the seminars and/or banquet the registration price rises after July 31. So please act soon.

https://www.classicbicyclesauburn.com

Thanks so much, and see you in Auburn!

Mike Kone
Lead organizer
Classic Bicycles Auburn
Old 08-04-22, 04:10 PM
mikekone

You can still register for Classic Bicycles Auburn events that need pre-registration (activities with food and the Sunday show if you want your bike judged) if you do so by August 16.

Please go to https://www.classicbicyclesauburn.com for more info and links to register.

Thanks!

Mike Kone
Lead Organizer
Classic Bicycles Auburn
Old 08-08-22, 10:16 AM
mikekone

Folks have been asking for more exact times of the different activities at Classic Bicycles Auburn. The Schedule of Events has now been updated with more information.

Please email mikekone@comcast.net if you have questions about the show. There is still swap meet space available and room for more display bikes. Some great ones such as Confente, Ritchey, Daudon are going to be there - and quite a few Schwinn Paramounts and many more!

Mike Kone
Lead Organizer
Classic Bicycles Auburn
Old 08-16-22, 05:03 PM
mikekone

Classic Bicycles Auburn (Indiana) is drawing very near. August 26-28th. Sunday the 28th is the big show/swap day. We're really close to capacity for bike sign ups that are judged.

Today is the last day to sign up for some of the activities and entering your bike for judging. For shoppers, one of the vendors sent this photo of a bike he's bringing for sale. True vintage goodness - won't have any aluminum bars on this steel-is-real gem!

Info about the event at https://www.classicbicyclesauburn.com
Likes For mikekone:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.