Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to learn to ride a bike as an adult male without being ashamed for it?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to learn to ride a bike as an adult male without being ashamed for it?

Old 11-28-21, 06:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

NOT a good idea. Biking while tripping is an advanced technique. Stay home and have a good trip in your living room .... with friends who won't make fun of you.

Don't take the brown bike lube.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-28-21, 07:08 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts

One thing I don't think that video got right is how to balance. A rolling riderless bicycle is actually pretty stable due to the design. If the bike starts to lean to the left, the front wheel turns slightly to the left to bring the tire contact points back under the center of gravity. This is also what you must do when riding. It takes a little while to internalize this and to do it early enough and just enough, but not too much. An open field is probably the best place to learn.

Also, counter-steering must be used to initiate a turn and it takes a bit of practice to internalize that.
Old 11-28-21, 07:48 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Yeah .... care to prove that?
"Results revealed that when the balance bike’s approach was used, learning age (LA) occurred earlier (M=4.16 ± 1.34 years) than with the bicycle with training wheels’ approach (M=5.97 ± 2.16 years) (p<0,001); or than when there was only the single use of the traditional bicycle (TB) (M=7.27 ± 3.74 years) (p<0,001). Children who used the BB as the first bike had a significant lower LA than children who didn ́t use it (p<0.001). To maximize its effects, the BB should be used in the beginning of the learning process."

https://assets.researchsquare.com/fi...f?c=1631855551

Granted, this paper is thoroughly unscientific as it's subject to sampling bias and hasn't been peer reviewed. And I will admit that the waddling stage, especially for an adult, is short. But how long does it take to take off the pedals? Like 2 minutes? It's low cost, low reward. Do it... or don't. It doesn't really matter. I don't know how we ended up here.
Old 11-28-21, 10:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Funny, with the variances listed there .... it is pretty much all the same age.
Old 11-28-21, 10:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Hazards of learning to ride a bike as an adult ....

Your friends will mess you up every time .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-29-21, 12:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
"Results revealed that when the balance bike’s approach was used, learning age (LA) occurred earlier (M=4.16 ± 1.34 years) than with the bicycle with training wheels’ approach (M=5.97 ± 2.16 years) (p<0,001); or than when there was only the single use of the traditional bicycle (TB) (M=7.27 ± 3.74 years) (p<0,001). Children who used the BB as the first bike had a significant lower LA than children who didn ́t use it (p<0.001). To maximize its effects, the BB should be used in the beginning of the learning process."

https://assets.researchsquare.com/fi...f?c=1631855551

Granted, this paper is thoroughly unscientific as it's subject to sampling bias and hasn't been peer reviewed. And I will admit that the waddling stage, especially for an adult, is short. But how long does it take to take off the pedals? Like 2 minutes? It's low cost, low reward. Do it... or don't. It doesn't really matter. I don't know how we ended up here.
I don't think that survey methodology would survive a real peer review. Huge number of problems starting with recall being notoriously inaccurate. For example, it's been more than 20 years since I taught my oldest child to ride a bike, and almost 20 for my younger. If I had to answer the survey questions, I would just be guessing what their exact age was at the time. This is going to be a systematic problem with this survey design.
Also, this just might be demonstrating that people who get balance bikes train their kids younger and have nothing to do with the kids' response to the different bikes. There's a glaring causation/correlation falacy going on here.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-29-21, 05:35 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I don't know how we ended up here.
Nobody does. But in typical internet forum fashion, in a matter of a few days an argument ensues and the OP will probably never return leaving us all wondering if and how he got up on two wheels.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-29-21, 10:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Nobody does. But in typical internet forum fashion, in a matter of a few days an argument ensues and the OP will probably never return leaving us all wondering if and how he got up on two wheels.
OP is probably more concerned with getting to 100 replies.

John
Old 11-29-21, 06:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yeah .... care to prove that?

Not sure where you live, but here on earth almost everyone I know started with a tricycle or a Big Wheel, then got a bike with training wheels ..... which allow the rider to balance but also prevent falling. And which are adjustable from full support to a good deal of lean ....
Trikes and training wheels never taught anyone how to ride a 2-wheeler. Training wheels are just crutches. My eldest rode with training wheels for over a year. He happily rode it around, canted at a 30 degree angle, not displaying any sense of balance whatsoever. When I took them off, he cried, but the next day he got it bike and within a couple of hours he'd learned. My granddaughter got a balance bike at age 3 and learned to ride it same-day.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-29-21, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Don't forget there are plenty of us who are 20 pounds to hundreds of pounds overweight and still dress up in tight clothes and go out in public. Cycling and embarrassment cannot coexist, we have no shame!
I only liked it because I know there are people out there with this problem, I am super skinny and definitely don't enjoy eating large amounts of pasta and rice

In terms of learning to ride, as people have said do the balance bike thing. Remove pedals (have your local shop do it if you are unsure), lower your saddle so you can put some feet on the ground and scoot. There is a local cycling advocacy group that does the same thing for adult learners.

If your friends can't handle you not knowing how to ride a bike, then probably they aren't really your friends. If you didn't learn as a kid, there is no way you can change that past, you just have to move forward.

Last edited by veganbikes; 11-29-21 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-29-21, 09:10 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the OP has little or no interest in this thread.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 11-30-21, 09:31 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
I'm beginning to think that the OP has little or no interest in this thread.
That's kind of what I was thinking coming to it on day three.

But I'll throw in more advice which might have been mentioned since admit to not having read each reply.

Church parking lots can be wide open and empty on weekdays if parents are not there teaching their kids to drive. School grounds on weekends can serve the same purpose. I did like the ideas of finding a low angle grassy slope (not a grassy knoll) and coasting down it.

But my childhood story of my first bike "ride." I had been having trouble and my cousin took me to a school yard. He stood behind holding or balancing the bike as I tried to get the hang of balancing. A few mistakes but we did not give up. Next thing I'm shouting "stop the bike" as I'm heading to the cyclone fencing at the perimeter. He is not helping - because he is now 50 to 100 feet behind this balanced bike careening toward the fence and then into the fence. My FIRST BIKE RIDE. Followed by more than day with a bit more control and now by decades of cycling.

I do hope that the OP was sincere and wants to learn how to ride. My friend was just over and is teaching his 32 year old son who never wanted to drive, how to drive. We all start somewhere.
Likes For kahn: