Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Buy the 1030+ or wait?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Buy the 1030+ or wait?

Old 05-22-22, 11:49 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How do you get the 1030+ to show stamina/potential?
That data, as far as I know, is not currently displayed on the 1030 Plus. But the raw data to compute it, I suspect, is probably already available or could be calculated with a firmware upgrade. Like all computer-like devices, the Garmin device is only as capable as the firmware that runs it and the data that the firmware has access to. Again I'm just guessing as to what could possibly be done with new firmware.
Old 05-22-22, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
That data, as far as I know, is not currently displayed on the 1030 Plus. But the raw data to compute it, I suspect, is probably already available or could be calculated with a firmware upgrade. Like all computer-like devices, the Garmin device is only as capable as the firmware that runs it and the data that the firmware has access to. Again I'm just guessing as to what could possibly be done with new firmware.
To be clear, nobody is asking how computers work, this thread is about whether the 1030+ is a good buy, and about @NoWhammies concern that the 1040 will have features the 1030+ doesn't that he'll regret missing out on.

Garmin isn't a non profit. They want to sell the new thing they made.
Old 05-22-22, 01:35 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The Garmin Stamina seems to be a new feature. Since it's real time, I'm unclear if you need a HRM or PM or both to 'feed' the datastream. The idea is to give you an idea of what your pace should be for a given time. Most of the Firstbeat analytics relay on your heart rate variability with an AI engine identifying patterns in how your heart beats and equating it different athletic performance metrics. Firstbeat
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/ou...amina-feature/

Whether some of their older devices will get a firmware upgrade for this field remains to be seen. So far it's only on their Fenisx7 watches. Probably will depend on how much computational horsepower is available to display realtime data.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 05-22-22, 02:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

The 1030+ is sold out at REI. They had plenty a few days ago when this thread started.
Old 05-22-22, 03:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I searched for power plots in the IQ store and there is a pretty neat app to do that. No results for stamina and potential
If those metrics gain popularity, someone might write an app.

Now I want to write an app that tells you if you are off course, since garmin no longer seems to think that's important

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-22-22 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-22-22, 03:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Three 1040 will be at least $600. Garmin has been raising the prices as they release new watches, so the new Edge might cost more than that. The 1030+ is $450 now. Personally I think the few new software features and battery life don't justify an extra $150, we all value things differently though.

​​​​​
Old 05-22-22, 03:27 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
To be clear, nobody is asking how computers work, this thread is about whether the 1030+ is a good buy, and about @NoWhammies concern that the 1040 will have features the 1030+ doesn't that he'll regret missing out on.

Garmin isn't a non profit. They want to sell the new thing they made.
The purpose of my answer was to say that the 1030 Plus would be a better buy than buying a 1040 (when available) if a firmware update gave it some of the capabilities that may also be in the upcoming 1040. If you were unable to interpret that from what I wrote, perhaps I did not explain it clearly.
Old 05-22-22, 08:11 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Whelp, this happened...

After reading through the thread and comments (thank you everyone) I felt that purchasing the 1030+ was worthwhile. The savings are pretty good, I do not think (fingers crossed) I will miss the new features of the 540/1040, and the 1030+ is a good bike computer. So with all that in mind, I took the plunge on the 1030+.

Here's hoping I made the right call.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 05-22-22, 08:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I searched for power plots in the IQ store and there is a pretty neat app to do that.
​​​​​​Thanks for suggesting this, it didn't occur to me. I've only gone to the CIQ store for watch faces and a few other specific things. Fire @NoWhammies and anybody else this might be important to.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/7...f-165f094600a4
Old 05-25-22, 06:20 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Some potential 1040 info here
https://mightygadget.co.uk/garmin-ed...aunching-soon/

Could be out in June, with better battery and nav/mapping.
Likes For yaw:
Old 05-26-22, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Could be out in June, with better battery and nav/mapping.
Off on a tangent: my Organic professor told us the story of a paint chemist who went off to an ACS meeting to present a paper. His results showed that the new paint additive he'd been working on prevented mildew on all test samples for 7 years (or more). When the meeting was over, he went back home and when he went to work on Monday, he was fired.

Seems the company had been advertising their current paint as "mildew-proof" and they couldn't tolerate any publicity indicating anything to the contrary.

I wonder how Garmin deals with a "better battery" every time they do a technology refresh. Or do they just figure nobody's paying attention?
Old 05-26-22, 08:53 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Off on a tangent: my Organic professor told us the story of a paint chemist who went off to an ACS meeting to present a paper. His results showed that the new paint additive he'd been working on prevented mildew on all test samples for 7 years (or more). When the meeting was over, he went back home and when he went to work on Monday, he was fired.

Seems the company had been advertising their current paint as "mildew-proof" and they couldn't tolerate any publicity indicating anything to the contrary.

I wonder how Garmin deals with a "better battery" every time they do a technology refresh. Or do they just figure nobody's paying attention?
That story might just be fiction (it’s probably fiction). The company could have quietly changed the formula.

Battery technology hasn’t improved that much recently.

It seems most of the improvements are due to a more efficient CPU and programming.

The 1040 might also have a bit bigger battery.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-26-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 01:35 PM
ColoFatherOf3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I paid full boat retail of $599 for my 1030+ just 2 short months ago. Anybody getting one now for $450 is getting a GREAT deal. Heck, if you really wanted to upgrade when the 1040 comes out, you could probably sell your 1030+ on the used market and get most of what you paid for it to put toward a 1040.

I think you made the right call jumping on that price point!
Old 05-26-22, 08:35 PM
NoWhammies

So a quick follow-up. My previous speed sensor was the old version 1.0 speed sensor. No problem. Worked great. Except, now that I have moved on over to the 1030+, the computer no longer recognize the sensor. There are posts all over the Garmin forums about it. So, if I want to use a speed sensor with my 1030+ I need to upgrade(?) to the speed sensor 2. Kind of a bummer.
Old 05-27-22, 06:25 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So a quick follow-up. My previous speed sensor was the old version 1.0 speed sensor. No problem. Worked great. Except, now that I have moved on over to the 1030+, the computer no longer recognize the sensor. There are posts all over the Garmin forums about it. So, if I want to use a speed sensor with my 1030+ I need to upgrade(?) to the speed sensor 2. Kind of a bummer.
Go look on Amazon for ANT+/bluetooth speed and cadence sensors. Generics are half the cost of Garmin and they work just as well, IME.
Old 05-27-22, 12:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Looks like the Edge 1040 is being released soon. R&A Cycles sent out an announcement in error as did another sports electronic outlet. So I assume everyone is under an embargo till a certain date. DC Rainmaker is suspiciously silent about this so should be any day now. Que the debate about the minimal additional features and crazy price.
Old 05-27-22, 12:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Looks like the Edge 1040 is being released soon. R&A Cycles sent out an announcement in error as did another sports electronic outlet. So I assume everyone is under an embargo till a certain date. DC Rainmaker is suspiciously silent about this so should be any day now. Que the debate about the minimal additional features and crazy price.
This thread has photos of the 1040 and a link to the feature list. They were added maybe a week ago.
Old 05-29-22, 11:27 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by njkayaker
That story might just be fiction (it’s probably fiction). The company could have quietly changed the formula.

Battery technology hasn’t improved that much recently.

It seems most of the improvements are due to a more efficient CPU and programming.

The 1040 might also have a bit bigger battery.
Do you mind sharing the basis for your assertion that it was "probably fiction"?
Old 05-29-22, 11:54 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Do you mind sharing the basis for your assertion that it was "probably fiction"?
Reminds me of my own experience where I had a lucky 'Ah-ah' moment on an innovation that was both patentable and saved the company a few million dollars in production costs. My boss said that he might have to fire me because I was 'unlikely to improve my performance' from the previous quarter. I think he was joking, he was hard to read. Scientists and Engineers are an odd bunch.
Old 05-29-22, 02:08 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Since it’s hearsay (without much detail), I don’t have to. It doesn’t seem likely at all.
Old 05-30-22, 08:58 PM
NoWhammies

Looks like I might have been two weeks early in my purchase. Although as others have stated, the 1030+ is a good computer and the sale is definitely a good price. And so far the 1030+ is working out nicely.

BTW, Garmin seems to have pushed out an update that fixed the issue I was having with my speed 2 sensor.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 05-30-22 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 10:20 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
​​​​​​Thanks for suggesting this, it didn't occur to me. I've only gone to the CIQ store for watch faces and a few other specific things. Fire @NoWhammies and anybody else this might be important to.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/7...f-165f094600a4
I like this small one that fits in a single number cell. The lines are too thin to effectively see the last 20 or 30 seconds trend in detail, but it's useful for reminding me to keep in a certain range. I like it.
I tried a couple of other larger graphs, but they just weren't useful to me. Easy to try, though.

Three colors for low, med, high ranges (and I changed from the stock colors to make the power number more readable and the difference in the 3 colors more obvious), and a max cutoff so that short standing sprints just go off the top of the chart instead of squashing everything down. There's a low limit, which keeps minor soft pedaling from showing on the chart. I think it's about 2.5 minutes when shown in the small cell range.

This one replaces the 3-second power on my Map and Elevation screens, and goes into the 1-second, 3 second, 5-second chart, 10 second, 30 second column of cells on my climbing/pacing page.

I like the 5 second smoothing! I wish Garmin had 5 or 6 sec, not just 3, 10, 30...
Note that colors on the 1030 are pale, not bright and distinct like the above example.
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2...e-cb89d299d68c

change the settings on the phone using Garmin Connect --> IQ Store --> My device --> My data fields --> Power Graph (which was already installed.)
then click Settings.
I set the low limit to 15w, high limit to a reasonable effort I can hold for 15 seconds (shorter higher efforts just get cut off--good.)
My custom colors:
color bright low 0x0000ff (a light blue) I think these are actually Night colors?
color bright med 0xff0000 (a light red)
color bright high 0x005500 (a darker green. The light green, 00ff00, looked too similar to light blue)

color dark low 0x000055 I think these are Day colors?
color dark med 0xaa5500
color dark high 0xaa55ff

Note--make sure Garmin Connect updates the Garmin device to install any settings changes. Reboot the Garmin.
The new data field isn't in the Power section, it's at the bottom of the list -- in Connect IQ

Color codes: These color codes are standard 8-bit RGB codes, so the online color calcs work (but colors are more muted than the calc shows.) 0xRRGGBB where the digits can go from 0-9,then A-F.

https://www.htmlcsscolor.com/hex/0000FF is full Blue, showing as a pale color on a Garmin. Type other RRGGBB codes in the box at the top to see the color.
0x000055 is partly darkened blue.

0xffffff is white -- full intensity of R,G,B = white
0x000000 is black -- no intensity of R,G,B

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-30-22 at 11:37 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-03-22, 10:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
The Edge 1030+ is on sale right now.
​​​​​​Thank you for posting this. I've been wanting a head unit for maps, mostly, for a while. This is a good price and does more than I need.
Old 06-03-22, 10:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm trying to display the middle data field in this image, platform center offset (PCO). When I add that as a data field to a page, I get two numbers instead of the graphic. When I add a cycling dynamics page, it shows me power phase not PCO.

Does anybody know how to get the display below?

I injured the tendon running along the bottom and outside of my foot and this is useful to me.

Old 06-04-22, 02:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Nevermind the question above. It does what I want with the power meter connected. It was doing something weird when it imported the sensors but hadn't talked directly to them yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.