Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 12-09-21, 08:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Loving the good vibes. Congrats everyone!
Like a mini reunion. And congrats to you too!

And RTC! Awesome. And re Flexeril, your hesitation etc made me treat it carefully and I realized that it was not something I wanted to take unless absolutely necessary. Reduced dosage to 1/day (recommended one every 8 hours), and it takes about 15 hours for my body to get to the "tingling scalp" phase where it seems like it's wearing off. I think I took 6? Maybe 8? Thanks for the info. And the Tramadol is untouched.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-09-21, 08:58 PM
carpediemracing 

Because I want to show off. haha.

The short sleeve ones will be just short sleeve of the below. The jacket will have the camo pattern on the inner side of the sleeve, a bit more flash, but I don't have a picture of that. Shorts are as they are.

Super simple, I am buying kit for probably 5 years worth of riding/racing (shorts, jerseys, wind vest, jacket). No worries about any team politics or wackiness. Subdued kit, nothing too wacky. I had wacky ideas and realized after the designer proposed something like this that this kind of stuff would be better. Some slight mods, the clothing contact guy corrected a bunch of stuff (like now the shorts read Carpe Diem from front or back, before it said Diem Carpe, and he also suggested the pattern on the arm, some other minor but significant corrections).

The clothing contact guy is a long time Bethel Spring Series fan/racer/supporter, he used to win the A races at the beginning (and to pay for his race, he'd marshal for 2-3 hours in the morning), and he supplied the leader jerseys for all but one year. I'm glad I can buy stuff from him.

And of course I ran this by the Missus, because spending a couple thousand dollars on my own kit isn't something I could or would slip by the Missus. She was all for it ("I thought it would cost more"), and it reminded me again of how lucky I am to be with her.

I did mention that if I got a bit lighter I might want to get some more form fitting kit. hahaha. We'll see.

"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 12-09-21, 09:32 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Acquired from local coach. Apparently the USA cycling ones came from Ashton Lambie or Christina Birch.

Anyone want them? I'm Canadian and would just rather not, after, you know...
Old 12-09-21, 09:47 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

[QUOTE=carpediemracing;22335017] the camo pattern /QUOTE]

Camo aka "hit by car while training"
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 12-09-21, 09:48 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Acquired from local coach. Apparently the USA cycling ones came from Ashton Lambie or Christina Birch.

Anyone want them? I'm Canadian and would just rather not, after, you know...
I know a Nathan who has been a guiding light in my track quest. (*edit - can I get the Nathan bottle for him?)

And the local CCAP team, a Junior development club (USAC club of the year couple years), I wonder if they have a trophy case.

Personally I wouldn't need or want them. But those are who I think of when I see them.
Old 12-09-21, 09:50 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I know a Nathan who has been a guiding light in my track quest.

And the local CCAP team, a Junior development club (USAC club of the year couple years), I wonder if they have a trophy case.

Personally I wouldn't need or want them. But those are who I think of when I see them.
I bought them from Nathan. Gave him 10CND

https://www.juventus.ab.ca/

Last edited by Enthalpic; 12-09-21 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 09:54 PM
carpediemracing 

[QUOTE=Enthalpic;22335065]
the camo pattern /QUOTE]

Camo aka "hit by car while training"
hahahahahaha

I was worried about deer hunting season. One of my wacky ideas was to incorporate orange hunter safety into the kit. But I like the monotone better. and I don't ride outside much so... plus if I want, I can just buy an orange wind vest.

There's a joke where someone runs into an Army truck. Soldier jumps out, "what the heck, didn't you see the truck?" "What do you mean? You're camouflaged, I'm not supposed to see it."
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 12-10-21, 06:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
That's actually more than a little gross.
Old 12-10-21, 01:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Like a mini reunion. And congrats to you too!

And RTC! Awesome. And re Flexeril, your hesitation etc made me treat it carefully and I realized that it was not something I wanted to take unless absolutely necessary. Reduced dosage to 1/day (recommended one every 8 hours), and it takes about 15 hours for my body to get to the "tingling scalp" phase where it seems like it's wearing off. I think I took 6? Maybe 8? Thanks for the info. And the Tramadol is untouched.
My point wasn't that people shouldn't take the med, just that it works very similarly to other controlled medications. I've been on it for back spasms in the past and they helped me stay functional when things were very bad.
Old 12-10-21, 06:36 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Cyclobenzaprine is nothing, you can take one, drink a case of beer and smoke a joint while watching movies and not die. N=1
Old 12-11-21, 08:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,963 Times in 4,448 Posts
Cyclobenzaprine is nothing, you can take one, drink a case of beer and smoke a joint while watching movies and not die. N=1
Maybe when I was younger.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-11-21, 09:39 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

10/10 don't recommend lmao. I should probably try to get a little more before snowboard season starts for me. I'm heading out west this week and praying for snow

Originally Posted by big john
Maybe when I was younger.
Sameeeee!
Old 12-11-21, 03:26 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'm cleaning out stuff. I have too much stuff that I don't need or use.

I'm debating whether to just donate it all to the local thrift shop or try to sell it. I really don't want to post a bunch of individual items, and I really don't want to have a garage sale either. At the same time, some of this stuff is still in great shape - some still has tags on it - so I'd hate to get nothing for it. (On the other hand, I probably didn't buy most of it myself as most was gifts.)
Old 12-12-21, 04:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

We're at the point where we do a couple of grand a month in eBay sales just selling stuff from the attic, old clothes, and stuff we don't want any more. We started when we went from two houses to one, but it's turned into a pretty good side business.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 12-13-21, 10:16 AM
big john

Originally Posted by gsteinb
We're at the point where we do a couple of grand a month in eBay sales just selling stuff from the attic, old clothes, and stuff we don't want any more. We started when we went from two houses to one, but it's turned into a pretty good side business.
Maybe you could talk to Mrs. John for me?
Old 12-13-21, 12:06 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Because I want to show off. haha.

The short sleeve ones will be just short sleeve of the below. The jacket will have the camo pattern on the inner side of the sleeve, a bit more flash, but I don't have a picture of that. Shorts are as they are.

Super simple, I am buying kit for probably 5 years worth of riding/racing (shorts, jerseys, wind vest, jacket). No worries about any team politics or wackiness. Subdued kit, nothing too wacky. I had wacky ideas and realized after the designer proposed something like this that this kind of stuff would be better. Some slight mods, the clothing contact guy corrected a bunch of stuff (like now the shorts read Carpe Diem from front or back, before it said Diem Carpe, and he also suggested the pattern on the arm, some other minor but significant corrections).

The clothing contact guy is a long time Bethel Spring Series fan/racer/supporter, he used to win the A races at the beginning (and to pay for his race, he'd marshal for 2-3 hours in the morning), and he supplied the leader jerseys for all but one year. I'm glad I can buy stuff from him.

And of course I ran this by the Missus, because spending a couple thousand dollars on my own kit isn't something I could or would slip by the Missus. She was all for it ("I thought it would cost more"), and it reminded me again of how lucky I am to be with her.

I did mention that if I got a bit lighter I might want to get some more form fitting kit. hahaha. We'll see.

#bringbackbethel
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 12-13-21, 01:51 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Preach!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 12-13-21, 03:17 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by big john
Maybe you could talk to Mrs. John for me?
I try not to talk to people, sorry.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 12-13-21, 03:22 PM
big john

I try not to talk to people, sorry.
I understand.
Old 12-14-21, 08:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've thought about that, but I guess I'm at the point of trying to decide whether the potential income outweighs the effort of posting stuff to eBay. Lately, I've found that not to be the case. Though it might make sense if I bundled things - like 10 dress shirts size M....
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-14-21, 11:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I have so much sheeet I need to sort through and list. I've been making some headway with some of the bigger items. But big oof.
Old 12-15-21, 08:52 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've thought about that, but I guess I'm at the point of trying to decide whether the potential income outweighs the effort of posting stuff to eBay. Lately, I've found that not to be the case. Though it might make sense if I bundled things - like 10 dress shirts size M....
How about FB marketplace? Although 10 shirts size M sounds more like an eBay thing. Or even Craigslist, which seems to be losing some relevancy with FB MP. Thing about the two non-eBay options is that often you can meet at some safe place (I choose our local police station parking lot, which has a few spaces with a camera specifically for CL / MP transactions). I feel pretty safe doing that, it's anonymous in that you don't know the person's house, etc.
Old 12-17-21, 11:45 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
So I've continued my coding geekery with a couple of web apps. I launched a DC Rainmaker analysis clone, right now all it does it allow you to compare power and cadence of fit files, but should be easy enough to bake in additional comparisons. Won't spam the community with the link, but happy to share if any of you want to do any power comparisons between units. I also have a group ride organization one, and it's club focused, so you can add an event to a club calendar with time, date, and upload a route and people can RSVP so folks can see who is going and what not. I've even got it so it can give the forecast for the date. I even have a bit of club management baked in, even allowing dues collection. I had people sign up but no one has actually tried to beta test lol Haven't stumbled across the million dollar idea yet though lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 12-17-21, 07:49 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
What language do you code in? Would love to check it out!
Old 12-17-21, 08:00 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
What language do you code in? Would love to check it out!
python/Django with a JavaScript charting thing. I started doing it for fun early 2020 and have my own PMC web app I have too. I’ve got the power meter compare site up at https://wattcomp.herokuapp.com folks can have at it and test it. Best used on desktop with a mouse for drag selection!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.