Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Will any Shimano shifters fit this downtube mount?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 10:03 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I have a Nishiki Prestige I've been fixing up. It's nearly done, but after taking it on some test rides, the one thing I'm not in love with is the shifting/shifters. I generally prefer index over friction, and the Suntour aero shifters on there wouldn't be my first choice if I kept it friction. I'd love to get some Shimano indexed downtube shifters on there. Thing is, I don't know what other shifters, if any, are compatible with the mount on the frame.

Do any of the Shimano aero shifters fit this mount (pic attached), and if so, can I swap in indexed levers on the bosses of said Shimano aero shifters?

And while you're at it—any opinions on what bar tape would look good?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-22, 10:12 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
What does the mount look like without the shifters? Indexed DT shifters might bolt right on.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 01-05-22, 10:24 AM
drewfio

Originally Posted by top506
What does the mount look like without the shifters? Indexed DT shifters might bolt right on.Top
That was the first thing I tried. Since it's round, the whole shifter just spins freely—there is nothing to keep the internal bit in place. I tried both with and without the the notched washers that mate with the Shimano shifters.

Old 01-05-22, 10:31 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,559 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
What does the mount look like without the shifters? Indexed DT shifters might bolt right on.

+1

Your window view is taking me time traveling. Grew up on the UWS.

Edit. Looks good. I'll pull a set of Shimano Sora DT indexed and post a pic.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-05-22, 10:46 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,559 Times in 727 Posts

Edit The inside of Shimano SL-400 8s

For this shifter set, the connector piece below would have be filed to fit.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 01-05-22 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-05-22, 11:18 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Shimano made a similar aero shifter, but they used a proprietary 4.5mm boss mounting screw and I don't believe any of them were indexing. I don't believe any of the Suntour aero shifters were indexed either.

Shimano did, however, make an aero mount adapter for use with their subsequent downtube SIS shifters.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...4c72b&Enum=104

There is one listed on eBay, which might be a slightly different version (or possibly an incorrectly described body from an actual Shimano aero shifter, with the shifters removed). https://www.ebay.com/itm/31381584481...gAAOSwl6dh0PXt.

There's also a Gipiemme aero adapter, that Boulder Bicycle has a supply of, which could possibly be modified to use with Shimano downtube shifters. Found more! Aero Adapter mount for Gipiemme Cronos shifters (and possibly others) NOS - read
Old 01-05-22, 11:26 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
That is generally called a "B" mount. Shimano made a converter for standard DT shifters for them but they might be hard to find now. I have one but it is in use. I can take a photo if you need.

Edit: Vintage beat me to it, with links no less.
Old 01-05-22, 11:43 AM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Shimano made a similar aero shifter, but they used a proprietary 4.5mm boss mounting screw and I don't believe any of them were indexing. I don't believe any of the Suntour aero shifters were indexed either.

Shimano did, however, make an aero mount adapter for use with their subsequent downtube SIS shifters.
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...4c72b&Enum=104

There is one listed on eBay, which might be a slightly different version (or possibly an incorrectly described body from an actual Shimano aero shifter, with the shifters removed). https://www.ebay.com/itm/31381584481...gAAOSwl6dh0PXt.
Originally Posted by Cynikal
That is generally called a "B" mount. Shimano made a converter for standard DT shifters for them but they might be hard to find now. I have one but it is in use. I can take a photo if you need.
Thanks for the replies! I saw that same listing on ebay, but I too thought it might just be the body of an aero shifter not an adapter specifically for this purpose. If that works too, great, then I'd probably buy a different cheaper one with the shifters attached. But if the adapter is the only thing that works, I'd guess need that. I contacted the seller to ask, but have not yet heard back. @Cynikal, since you have one, could you confirm that the one in the ebay listing is the correct part? I've attached photos from the listing below.

Old 01-05-22, 11:48 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
Thanks for the replies! I saw that same listing on ebay, but I too thought it might just be the body of an aero shifter not an adapter specifically for this purpose. If that works too, great, then I'd probably buy a different cheaper one with the shifters attached. But if the adapter is the only thing that works, I'd guess need that. I contacted the seller to ask, but have not yet heard back. @Cynikal, since you have one, could you confirm that the one in the ebay listing is the correct part? I've attached photos from the listing below.
Yeah, that purported adapter looks different from the one on Velobase. It also looks suspiciously like the body from some Shimano aero shifters. This Golden Arrow one for instance.

Another post related to these adapters: https://www.bikeforums.net/22346036-post7318.html

Last edited by Vintage_Cyclist; 01-05-22 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-05-22, 12:14 PM
drewfio

Yep, that looks like what I need. Sounds like he didn't have an easy time finding it.
Old 01-05-22, 01:17 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
If the mounting bolts are 5mm, I’d be tempted to take a few measurements and drill and tap a bole for a grub screw on the uphill side of the flat, similar to what a standard Shimano mounting boss (the part that covers a braze on) looks like. Might need some thin washers to get the spacing right, but bet it would work fine. Larger problem will be getting the left shifter to ‘wind up’ if using Light Action ones.
Old 01-05-22, 01:55 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Yeah, that purported adapter looks different from the one on Velobase. It also looks suspiciously like the body from some Shimano aero shifters. This Golden Arrow one for instance.

Another post related to these adapters: https://www.bikeforums.net/22346036-post7318.html
That is the adapter that I have. The other one looks like it would work but it's always hard to tell from a photo. The one thing to note is that you will need the flat attachment washers (are they washers?) for this adapter. The same ones that are on barcons.
Old 01-05-22, 02:03 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Cynikal
That is the adapter that I have. The other one looks like it would work but it's always hard to tell from a photo. The one thing to note is that you will need the flat attachment washers (are they washers?) for this adapter. The same ones that are on barcons.
I do have those washers (borrowed from some barcons in fact). I tried unsuccessfully using them with the Shimano shifters on the Suntour bosses.
Likes For drewfio:
Old 01-11-22, 10:09 PM
drewfio

Update: I figured it out.

I bought some Shimano SL-L422 friction shifters off eBay. Looking at the photos I thought they might fit. They came today, and they do fit. Success! I unscrewed them from the adapter/mount they are attached to to have a look, and they are compatible with indexed Shimano levers. No washers needed.

I actually like the feel of these much more than the original Suntour shifters. What I really like is that they spring in the opposite direction the derailleur pulls the cable, such that the tension is cancelled out, and the same pressure is required to push it forward and backward. This is how the left/front friction shifter works on my Dura Ace down tube shifters, which I always thought were super smooth.

Here is another set of the L422 available on eBay if anyone is looking: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15424435762...sAAOSwyPhf16Ml

After a little polishing, mounted on my bike:

Likes For drewfio: