Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Informal Reviews on Track Wheels

Old 02-28-22, 05:53 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
a (good) glue job is best. Lower rolling resistance and when you cut off the top of a 40+° bank sharply you really want to be sure that thing has a solid connection to your rim.
Tape is better than a bad glue job (less room for error for someone who is cutting corners or inexperienced) but higher crr and not as good bond.

1-2 layers of glue on the tire, 2 on the rim + a wet layer as installing. That tire isn't going anywhere.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 02-28-22, 07:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Losing a tire due to an insufficient glue job on the track is not fun - I know from experience. Though gluing may be more of a PIA than tape, it's much less of a pain than recovering from a tire coming off while riding.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-08-22, 10:47 AM
RobertPaulson

Bikes: Dolan DF4, Tarmac SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson

Has anyone experience of walker brothers wheels? supposedly they test fast but people without direct experience of them I've spoken too have mentioned fragile and flex as weak points? (I'm 76kg mid 11's f200 on spokes so maybe flex is not so much an issue). thanks

Had a fair few chats on this with some good track coaches now (to winning riders at the recent UK track nats and UCI track champions league participants). fwiw to anyone else who is interested in what I could scrub together, as it doesn't seem that easy to find just scrawling around the web (caveat, I haven't actually seen aero test results and ride quality/robustness is obviously in the eye of the beholder), basis current versions of track wheels (there is a fair gap to the older generation wheels, maybe this is more about the tyre/rim interface than the lenticular shape, the new ffwd lions that dan bigham used for the hour record have gone narrower towards the hubs, seems that now everyone cares about fork disruption to the Cd post tokyo and the lotus...):

Ghibli, tests fastest of the mainstream sprint wheels, light, stiff, spendy. Mavic, ffwd (the disc-t, the new lion version is up with/maybe better than the ghilbi but nobody I spoke to had seen test data on it), corima - much of a muchness, mavic is very stiff and powerloss via. wheel flex in the corners on a decent f200 is (apparently) more watts than the difference in aero between them all - maybe one of the reasons mavic continues to be so popular. Walker brothers, fast testing pursuit wheels or for VERY light sprinters (flex it seems can be issue even on the ethereal sprint disc or 5 spoke), lightweights - fast but unbelievably fragile. Other manufacturers just didn't come up or I didn't ask about them.

Some uncertainty about what the mavic crash replacement now entails after their 2020 restructuring and the launch of a new program, corima and campag have sweet FA and FFWD a discounted replacement offering.

At UK track nats, lots of (predictably) either the new ffwds or ghilbli rears and IO or corima 5 spokes in the match rounds. Nobody I saw was running the new hopes, despite I would assume some riders having access to them - more than one of the tokyo lotus framesets going round, so its not potential cost of a crash putting them off! Apparently the new hope front 3 spoke is stiff as hell and has a decent edge on the other 5 spoke fronts in the market (again I have seen zero actual tests to prove any of this).

Given the abundance and pricing of s/h mavic and ffwd in the uk plus the now vagueness of mavic crash replacement on new wheels, seems like I'm just waiting for the right wheels to pop up on the usual facebook groups

Last edited by RobertPaulson; 03-30-22 at 03:48 AM.