Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

recommendation for 27.5 carbon wheelset

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-15-22, 08:47 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality carbon wheelset for one of my bikes. The wheel size is 27.5 and would need to fit 2.4" tires. Disc brake setup. Looking for high quality at a good price/value!
Old 06-15-22, 09:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What are your expectations for them? What are you wanting that your current wheels don't do for you?

A good price to value ratio sounds like you just want cheap carbon wheels.
Old 06-15-22, 11:26 AM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Removing road buzz as the main priority, other than that - the current wheels are fairly heavy and I'd like to reduce the rotational weight. But no - I'm not looking for a cheap Chinese wheelset. I'm wanting something that will last. I guess maybe worded another way - what's the golden standard for wheelsets for the size I'm looking for?
Old 06-15-22, 11:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
For removing road buzz, tires are much more important than wheels.

Santa Cruz/Reserve wheels are a pretty good buy if $1.5K or so is in your budget. Lifetime warranty. Decent hubs. Excellent rims.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-16-22, 07:21 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
BTLOS wheels I just got a set of these for my gravel bike, very happy with them. Have about 400 miles on them now. Depending on the hub you choose, can be less than $1000 to your door.
Old 06-16-22, 07:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
BTLOS wheels I just got a set of these for my gravel bike, very happy with them. Have about 400 miles on them now. Depending on the hub you choose, can be less than $1000 to your door.
Yup. I just recently bought some wheels from BTLOS myself.

There is no gold standard with wheels. Majority of the big names get their wheels from China and then mark them up. Skip the middle man mark up and get them direct from reputable makers from China such as BTLOS, Light Bicycle, Nextie etc.

Last edited by prj71; 06-16-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I haven't had carbon wheels, but my perception from reading what others have said about them is they give you better feel for the road. That road feel is what I think you may be calling buzz. And buzz is useful to me. So that's what I'd be looking for if I was to get carbon wheels. And quite the opposite of your stated desire.

If you are feeling too much of the road, the tire brand, model and width will make the most difference. IMO.

Though maybe I still don't understand what buzz is in your cycling world.
Old 06-16-22, 12:49 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I haven't had carbon wheels, but my perception from reading what others have said about them is they give you better feel for the road. That road feel is what I think you may be calling buzz. And buzz is useful to me. So that's what I'd be looking for if I was to get carbon wheels. And quite the opposite of your stated desire.

If you are feeling too much of the road, the tire brand, model and width will make the most difference. IMO.

Though maybe I still don't understand what buzz is in your cycling world.
Buzz = road chatter. All of which can be dampened with a carbon frame, carbon handlebar, carbon seat post and carbon wheels.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-16-22, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by prj71
Buzz = road chatter. All of which can be dampened with a carbon frame, carbon handlebar, carbon seat post and carbon wheels.
I guess I've not had any previous bikes that had anything I'd call road chatter. Though I never owned a aluminum bike, but my son's aluminum bike doesn't have it either. At least not what I'd call road chatter. The steel, carbon and aluminum bikes just feel the road differently is all I've noticed.
Old 06-22-22, 12:08 PM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj71
Sorry - yeah - road chatter. The road feel - yes I like that. Road chatter is what I'm trying to reduce. That pounding you get when on a not so smooth road (cracks, potholes, etc). This is my commuting bike so I ride it daily 26 miles a day (when I'm not working remote obviously).
Old 06-26-22, 03:26 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
A couple years back I had a 1200gm wheelset built up using some 25mm-deep CarbonFan rims. 28hole.
Same builder also put together some similar weight and spoke count 29er wheels.

Personally the 27.5's feel a bit stiffer/harsher across rough surfaces, even with plush, wide tyres. [2.2-2.4].
Guessing that's partly due to smaller rim diameter.

These experiences have now led me down looking into shallower carbon rims [18-20mm] for the next build, hoping they will offer a little more overall compliance for my 60kg weight.
e.g. Duke rims.
Old 06-26-22, 04:23 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
Sorry - yeah - road chatter. The road feel - yes I like that. Road chatter is what I'm trying to reduce. That pounding you get when on a not so smooth road (cracks, potholes, etc). This is my commuting bike so I ride it daily 26 miles a day (when I'm not working remote obviously).
The 2.4" wide tires you're planning to use would already greatly reduce the problem of comfort over bad roads regardless of the rim material.

What would make more difference is the rim width. Wide (Plus) rims would give you better handling and allow you to run with lower pressure. Lower pressure = better comfort. Most likely, you'd be looking at MTB Plus rims. Take note of the "plus" and NOT "fat". Fat rims for fat bike would be far too wide.