Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Problems with Canyon (the company) and their customer service?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 12:39 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts

Hi everyone, and Happy Holidays. Months ago my Canyon Endurace developed a noise that was eventually traced to a cracked steerer tube. The bike was under warranty and after I sent pictures to Canyon, they determined that this was a warranty issue that they would fix. Thus began a multi-month effort to find a fork of any color to send me. No luck. Then Canyon finally found a bike with upgraded components, and asked me to ship my bike to California (at their expense, thankfully!). The plan was to take my 105 components off my bike, strip their bike of its components, put my 105 stuff on the new frameset and ship the bike to me. (they could have just sent me the new bike intact as a token of goodwill, but no...)

Well, they've had my bike now for 10 weeks. I call, I open a ticket, and I get a big fat nothing in terms of response. I'm now 5 months into this total, 2+ months with my bike at Canyon's facility, and I do not have an update. Canyon is clever -- they only accept inquiries through their toll-free number and through opening new tickets. They do not have a customer service email posted. But it doesn't matter, you won't get a response from them regardless of how you address them.

I'm beyond frustrated, and have reached the boiling point. But there's no way to get to anyone in charge. You can call customer service and someone will act concerned, but they don't follow through.

So I'm looking for some help. Does anyone out here have a contact at Canyon, an email address or phone number, or suggestions on how to break through their horrible customer service and get an answer?

I know, I know, there's a pandemic, supply chain problems, no one is delivering bikes, so call me inappropriately impatient, but I do aspire to ride my Endurace again one day, and all I want is an estimate of when that'll occur. Canyon has slipped delivery dates on new Endurace bikes so many times it's a joke. So I guess my frameset refit is super low on their priority list when they have all hands on deck cranking out bikes to be sold.

If you work for Canyon, please tell me how to engage with your company in a manner that will get a @#$*&%! answer.

Suggestions, anyone? TIA for your help, suggestions, sympathy, etc. Feel free to describe your own experiences, good or bad.

Dave
Old 12-28-21, 01:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,999 Posts
That sounds very frustrating! The only contact I have is UK specific and that was successful for a very minor issue I had with my Canyon Neuron back in 2019. The email address was uk@canyon.com but probably not much use to you in Florida. They responded quickly, but this was obviously before the end of the world.
Old 12-28-21, 02:08 PM
davethelefty

There used to be an active us@canyon.com email address but that’s been shut down. I had a rep send me an email from that address that I couldn’t reply to. Yet another way Canyon has screwed their customers.

I know other manufacturers are having problems. The Trek Domane I’d looked at has summer 2022 availability. Perhaps road bikes are not a priority. Fine, Canyon, send me a gravel bike instead!!
Old 12-28-21, 02:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
Bummer! Seems like most of the time, given the lower initial cost, mail order works out fine. Then again, sometimes it can bite you. At this point, maybe ask them to return your bike. You should be able to find an aftermarket fork that will work.
Old 12-28-21, 03:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
You've tried voicing your complaints on their TwitFace and Instagramp sites, of course? A good public shaming often works.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-28-21 at 03:07 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-28-21, 03:24 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
With big bike.....2 months in their hands is nothing. Many stories on various forums of 6-12 months to warranty a frame/fork. Maybe your credit card has warranty protection for a defective product? If so, file a claim and maybe get a refund?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-28-21, 03:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
With big bike.....2 months in their hands is nothing. Many stories on various forums of 6-12 months to warranty a frame/fork. Maybe your credit card has warranty protection for a defective product? If so, file a claim and maybe get a refund?
That is solid advice. When the CC bank contacts a company, and talks about taking back the $$$, it can spur some action.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-28-21, 04:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
What seems most crazy is that they can't come up with one fork that they can ship for a warranty repair, but instead were going through that convoluted and very strange workaround?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-28-21, 04:18 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
I don't have any suggestions here, just adding a post to help with the public shaming and whatnot. I have a few friends with Canyon bikes and they've all been happy with their purchases, no issues. But when things go wrong...

I am a bit puzzled by the process. It seems like it would've been way easier for Canyon to just send you a new frame that you could build (or pay an LBS to build) and then provide a credit to cover that cost, and then you ship them the old/damaged frame back. Maybe Canyon wants to make sure things are installed per their own specs?

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-28-21, 04:55 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't have any suggestions here, just adding a post to help with the public shaming and whatnot. I have a few friends with Canyon bikes and they've all been happy with their purchases, no issues. But when things go wrong...

I am a bit puzzled by the process. It seems like it would've been way easier for Canyon to just send you a new frame that you could build (or pay an LBS to build) and then provide a credit to cover that cost, and then you ship them the old/damaged frame back. Maybe Canyon wants to make sure things are installed per their own specs?

Good luck and keep us updated.
They did not have a frame or fork to send OP. As a matter of goodwill, it seems they agreed to dismantle a higher end bike and reassemble with OP's lower end parts. What else could they have done? Canyon would now have to receive, inspect, and disposition the return including destruction. Then, disassemble and build the new donor frame up. I am sure they also need to destroy the defective fork. Sending the OP a frame would leave them with the potential liability of a defective fork not being properly destroyed. Trust me, I am not defending them.
Old 12-28-21, 05:17 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by Rolla
You've tried voicing your complaints on their TwitFace and Instagramp sites, of course? A good public shaming often works.
This was my first attempt at any shaming. Being an old guy I don't automatically default to FB, IG, or Twitter. But that's a very good idea that I'm happy to move forward with. Thanks for a great tip!!
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 12-28-21, 05:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
This is the problem with direct to consumer stuff, it is on the consumer to try and get somewhere with warranty and they like that because they can say no and most consumers will recoil and say "ho hum, I guess I need to buy a new one". I see it a lot and it sucks. There might not be a shop looking over it so they can say whatever and you really don't have anyone in your corner. "You overtightened this or installed that wrong or whatever" and then you are stuck having to complain via social media rather than just resolving the problem.

I was helping a customer out with their Canyon (or really just trying to figure out if the customer had gotten the parts they were going to send because we sure didn't) and got booted from the line and tried to call back and was put in 36th place (after already being in 24th) and couldn't wait any longer and gave up. Hopefully davethelefty you have some good luck and get things resolved I wish I had some better contact with them but alas I think ours has only been via phone and I hate phone calls, emails are trackable and traceable I know I sent it at 4:43pm Wednesday December 6th because it is time stamped.

If you are going to sell a product that has issues you need to back it up as a good company would do or tell your customers "hey you bought crap and we don't care" while dancing around with middle fingers ablaze. It is not like Canyon is making crap they seem to make some decent enough product and can support World Tour efforts, it seems silly they can't figure out their own regular customers?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-28-21, 06:09 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Should have bought from your LBS. But you thought you were so smart to buy on the internet and now you are screwed. And now your are whining on the internet and hoping for help? No help here. You made your bed, now you are in it.
Old 12-28-21, 06:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Should have bought from your LBS. But you thought you were so smart to buy on the internet and now you are screwed. And now your are whining on the internet and hoping for help? No help here. You made your bed, now you are in it.

Old 12-28-21, 06:27 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
easy there buddy, your attitude sucks. Canyon is a reputable co but this customer service nightmare is just not right.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-28-21, 06:29 PM
GhostRider62

LBS can magically get the manufacturer to create a fork out of thin air?

If anything, LBS would have added more delay.

There is help here. OP......read my earlier post. My CC helped me in a similar situation. I got all my money back.
Old 12-28-21, 06:54 PM
tangent70

Bikes: State 4130 SS; Trek 7300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
When I was a kid my parents and grandparents always told me “If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything”
But I guess some of us missed that message
Likes For tangent70:
Old 12-28-21, 07:10 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
davethelefty , have you tried this number? It worked for me last year.

THIS IS COPIED FROM MY EMAIL EXCHANGE WITH an Edgar…

Good luck,
John Z

Sincerely,
-Edgar

Canyon Bicycles, USA Inc.
Monday thru Friday
7:00am to 5:00pm PST
(833) 226-9661
Old 12-28-21, 07:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Thanks for this super-useful post!
Old 12-28-21, 07:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I'm glad everyone decided to quote that particular post so that we can see it over and over again.
Old 12-28-21, 07:36 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm glad everyone decided to quote that particular poest so that we can see it over and over again.
it emphasizes the harshness and stupidity of the post for all to see. it was just a down right mean unwarranted post.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-28-21, 07:45 PM
davethelefty

Thanks for the wise council. Turns out this was at the start of the pandemic and NONE of the LBSs had road bikes in the price range I was targeting. Not Trek, not Specialized, not Giant. So it was buy direct or stay home. I chose Canyon and yes, as you so eloquently pointed out, I'm screwed. But you know, eventually I'll unscrew myself. But you? I hold little hope.
Old 12-28-21, 07:51 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by sarhog
davethelefty , have you tried this number? It worked for me last year.

THIS IS COPIED FROM MY EMAIL EXCHANGE WITH an Edgar…

Good luck,
John Z
Unfortunately that's the number I'm calling. Someone answers, they're friendly and sympathetic, but nothing comes from the call. I open a ticket and absolutely get nothing. I've called and asked to escalate the case, nothing comes from it.

But thank you for replying with this info. I do appreciate those who respond and are trying in earnest to help!
Old 12-28-21, 08:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-28-21, 08:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
I would definitely go with the CC route as well, I would also file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs. I had to do that once for service my wife was suppose to be obtaining, but we were having issue with. It eventually was resolved, but we still filed with the state. I would also let Canyon know you will file with the state.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/gencomplaint.php

Likes For jaxgtr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.