Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

broken shifter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

broken shifter

Old 05-22-22, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
broken shifter

Yesterday, mid way through a beautiful day on a beautiful ride my right hand shifter broke. bought new just in dec 2021 so still under warranty. but before i go down that route i was wondering what the problem might be...

shifter is ST-4700 Tiagra. the symptom is that the small shift lever does not return back on its own after having used the larger shift lever. both levers operate properly with respect to moving the chain from one cog to another. if i had to guess i would say that some internal spring responsible for bringing the small shift lever back to its default position is broken. there is no resistance to the lever when i manually push it back (very easy to do, only needs very light push).

pretty sure it is under warranty and that is what i am looking into next but this being my only ride i don't want to be out of a bike for the weeks i expect such a return to take.
Old 05-22-22, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Maybe a frayed cable in the STI. The one frayed cable I replaced just happened to also be a ST-4700. However it didn't quite display the same symptoms. Mostly it just didn't shift to the 11 tooth cog well. But if you don't use the 11 tooth cog much you might never know till way too many strands fray up in the shifter.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-25-22, 07:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
resurrecting my dead thread...about 3 weeks ago i ended up removing the cable and found nothing wrong with it. shifted with no load and still had issues. looking inside for anything obvious i found some cottony material and removed it. it shifted a bit better. got out the air compressor and blew the snots out of it followed up with some silicon spray lube. shifted like new again.

here in reno we have been having an excessive amount of wind, really strong and long lasting through the day - 50 mph gusts for a few consecutive days. the cotton woods have shed their seeds, i was actually getting them in my eyes and that was quite irritating. some/one must have made its way into the shifters mechanics. such a nice simple fix.
Old 06-25-22, 07:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's a new one I haven't heard of. Add it to the list!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-25-22, 08:56 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Thanks for posting the final outcome/resolution. All too often that never happens.
Likes For Hondo6: