Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compatible fit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Compatible fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 07:21 PM
DJBugless1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compatible fit?

Hello everyone and thanks for your time to read over my question. I am replacing the bottom bracket for my Trek and need a new Shimano BB ES-25. Question being, the old one is 118mm when I had a 3× on it but now I am looking to keep the same cranks but wondering if I could use the 113mm BB for my 1x chainring setup? I understand that the clearance will be narrower but would that work? Btw, the Bike is a 2013 Trek Mamba, 29er, XL frame if that changes anything. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-22-22, 08:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Will you be using the current crank? Which ring position will you use? What ring size will you use? how much splay out does your chain stays have?

The common way to figure this out is make some choices on ring used and test fit in either crank spider tab location and see what stay/ring clearance you have as well as the chainline resulting. Then make some "adjustments" to the BB axle length given the prior test fit and measurements. Andy
Old 06-23-22, 06:57 AM
DJBugless1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reply Andy. I'm currently changed over to a 1x Oval 32T to run the single chainring but I noticed by taking the 3x it created a gap where the seal is to the bb. Before I shorten my chain I was going to change to a new bb because of the creaking crank pedal strokes.
Old 06-23-22, 10:56 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Procedurally, best to first install the new crank (or the new ring installed onto the old crank) onto the old bottom bracket, evaluate the chain line, then buy a new bottom bracket accordingly to move the chain line (either inward or outward) to line up with the center of the cassette.

Converting Trek FX2 to 1x - Bike Forums

See what I did starting from post #17.
Old 06-24-22, 02:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
if it'll allow everything that is rotating to clear (keep from rubbing) then it should be fine. You'll need to do a mock-up test fit & simulate the shorter BB for potential clearance impediment issues.