Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Madone Has An Irreplaceable Part - True Or Not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 12:23 AM
iamnotamerican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One bike I am considering is an '08 Trek Madone 5.2, but a friend has told me there is one part of the bike that cannot be repaired or replaced. Does anyone have any info on that?

Thanks in advance.

T
Old 09-17-09, 12:29 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Your friend has no idea what he's talking about.
Old 09-17-09, 01:00 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by iamnotamerican
One bike I am considering is an '08 Trek Madone 5.2, but a friend has told me there is one part of the bike that cannot be repaired or replaced. Does anyone have any info on that?

Thanks in advance.

T
I think this is a case of the blind leading the blind and I don't really want to make it worse but I will weigh in. Various newer bikes have integrated headsets or maybe an integrated Bottom Bracket now we have BB30. This is not peculiar to Trek Madone's. Many bikes have integrated components. I don't think its anything to worry about but if you are still concerned you need to get better information on what your concerned about.

Anthony
Old 09-17-09, 06:16 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
There is a bike made, that has a really rare part on it, can someone tell me what it is, as I want to buy one?
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-17-09, 07:30 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
the bike or the part?
Old 09-17-09, 07:45 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Find a new friend. That one is just jealous that you are going to have a better bike than him. It is called 'sour grapes.'
Likes For LarDasse74:
Old 09-17-09, 08:55 AM
acuracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually your friend is semi-correct. He must be referring to the rear derailleur hanger. It can be repaired if it isn't badly bent but cannot be replaced unless you send the whole frame to Trek. Most other modern bikes have a replaceable hanger.
Old 09-17-09, 09:19 AM
Griffin2020
On the road to health.

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuracing
Actually your friend is semi-correct. He must be referring to the rear derailleur hanger. It can be repaired if it isn't badly bent but cannot be replaced unless you send the whole frame to Trek. Most other modern bikes have a replaceable hanger.
Actually, the RD hanger, the headset and BB can all be replaced. It requires replacing the frame, but replace the frame and you replace the integrated components.
Likes For Griffin2020:
Old 09-17-09, 09:59 AM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by acuracing
There is NOTHING on that bike that cannot be replaced.

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
I think this is a case of the blind leading the blind and I don't really want to make it worse but I will weigh in. Various newer bikes have integrated headsets or maybe an integrated Bottom Bracket now we have BB30. This is not peculiar to Trek Madone's. Many bikes have integrated components. I don't think its anything to worry about but if you are still concerned you need to get better information on what your concerned about.

Anthony
BB30 is not a frame killer like standard BBs. 99% of the time the bearings come off with the crank, and NEVER get seized into the frame.
Old 09-17-09, 10:05 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hard to believe that at least the bearings in BB's and headsets can't be replaced, even if they're integrated. And non-replaceable der hanger is just plain stupid- it's easy enough to make it replaceable. Hope Trek gets bit on this one, if true.
Old 09-17-09, 10:06 AM
snotrockets

Bikes: Merlin Extralight

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
The rear derailleur hanger on new Madones is not replaceable (or at least, can not be replaced without sending the frame to the factory.)
Old 09-17-09, 10:06 AM
MGtrack
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame can't be replaced. If it is, it's a new bike.
Old 09-17-09, 10:20 AM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by snotrockets
The rear derailleur hanger on new Madones is not replaceable (or at least, can not be replaced without sending the frame to the factory.)
So either it's repairable or you get a new frame. Which is what I said.

Originally Posted by MGtrack
The frame can't be replaced. If it is, it's a new bike.
Really? All a bike consists of is the frame? Trek doesn't make replacement frames? For ****s sake. Read what you're typing.
Old 09-17-09, 10:21 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
So either it's repairable or you get a new frame. Which is what I said.
No, that's not what you said. You said:

BB30 is not a frame killer like standard BBs. 99% of the time the bearings come off with the crank, and NEVER get seized into the frame.
I'm not seeing you saying
So either it's repairable or you get a new frame.
anywhere in your OP.
Old 09-17-09, 10:24 AM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by cs1
No, that's not what you said. You said:

I'm not seeing you saying anywhere in your OP.
You really should learn comprehension and reading skills before contributing nothing to this thread. Those hangers are factory replaceable. It is not possible for any bike to have something that is not repairable, or replaceable. Replaceable always supercedes where repairable is not feasible or possible.

And since none of the parts on the '08 Trek Madone 5.2 are out of production. You my friend just wasted your time typing that post. Do me a favour and contribute some real, correct information to mech threads for once.
Old 09-17-09, 10:44 AM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had three carbon Treks, an 88-89ish 2500, a 1997 5000 and a 2004 5500. None of them had replaceable derailleur hangers and it was never a problem.

In fact, come to think of it, I have never had a bike with a replaceable one. I think that is an aluminum frame thing, and I've only ever had steel and carbon.
Old 09-17-09, 10:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
None of the tubes can be replaced either, unlike steel frames where a builder can take out a damaged tube and braze in a new one and get the whole thing repainted.

Of course almost no one ever did or does this with a steel frame, but still...

I would have no issues with buying a Madone with or without a replaceable RD hanger.
Old 09-17-09, 12:09 PM
LarDasse74

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Odd... the Madone bikes on Trekbikes.com (which I assume are 2009 models) all appear to have replaceable deraileur hangers.

I do recall a particularily ugly moment from a few years ago when a local rider (who had a buddy build his bike for him) got his derailleur caught in his spokes and mangled the non-replacable hanger.

Moral of the story: Replaceable hangers are not really needed, unless you really need them.
Old 09-17-09, 12:11 PM
LarDasse74

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MCODave
I think that is an aluminum frame thing, and I've only ever had steel and carbon.
Except the dropouts and hangers on almost all carbon frames are made from aluminum and have the same potential to break as one on a full aluminum frame.
Old 09-17-09, 12:29 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Also, with the possible exception of integrated seatmasts, there's nothing about integrated headsets or BB30 bottom brackets that are any less replaceable than traditional designs. The parts may be nonstandard, but you can still replace the bearings, seals, etc. with about the same level of difficulty as a regular headset or BB.

By the way, I don't think Trek uses BB30, but rather their own weird design (see https://www.bb30standard.com/ for more info). It still has replaceable parts though, AFAIK.
Old 09-17-09, 02:51 PM
iamnotamerican

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke to my friend and she said she believed it was the deraileur, so it looks like you hit the nail on the head. Now it's just a matter of learning more about the irreplaceable parts - the other comments in reply to this topic have been helpful.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 09-17-09, 04:49 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The der hanger on my 5200 is a very soft Al and is easily straightened if needed. If it happens too many times the hanger will break and Trek will replace the bike under the lifetime warrantee.
Old 09-17-09, 07:22 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by LarDasse74
Odd... the Madone bikes on Trekbikes.com (which I assume are 2009 models) all appear to have replaceable deraileur hangers.

I do recall a particularily ugly moment from a few years ago when a local rider (who had a buddy build his bike for him) got his derailleur caught in his spokes and mangled the non-replacable hanger.

Moral of the story: Replaceable hangers are not really needed, unless you really need them.
This specific 2008 Madone 5.2 does not.
Old 09-17-09, 11:22 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Trek says that the reason why the derailleur hanger on many Madones is only replaceable back at the factory is to make the hanger stiffer. Apparently, the extra stiffness improves the rear shifting.
Old 06-26-22, 09:14 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Thank you for this thread.

I just bought one! It rides like the wind, so bouncy so, wow I love it (and yes I did take up riding watching Lance, so there is a bit of fetishisation going on here). But the reason why it was so cheap is probably because as is pointed out here, the rear dérailleur hanger is integrated and requires factory replacement.

It was bent when it arrived but I bent it out. I hope it holds out but there may be a crack in the second photo next to the seat stay.

This is why it was Cheap by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

Integrated Derailleur Hanger by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

Originally Posted by davidad
The der hanger on my 5200 is a very soft Al and is easily straightened if needed. If it happens too many times the hanger will break and Trek will replace the bike under the lifetime warrantee.
Thank you. As a second (or third..) owner I guess the lifetime warrantee is no longer valid but it is nice to know it can be bent easily. The bike looks to be in excellent condition apart from a drive side scrape. Hopefully the here was only one crash and was sold even before its first bending.

I may get a tool since I may be bending it again, and I bent it too far with my spare rear wheel method and had to bend it back in, not realising at that point that I would not be able to replace the hanger myself.

Last edited by timtak; 06-26-22 at 10:04 PM.