Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 12:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Thanks for the compliment, I found that bike leaning against a dumpster about 3 months ago! All that was wrong with it was a frozen headset...due to dried-up grease! I checked the bearings there were no signs of scarring, so I cleaned the gunk off and regreased the old bearings up, and it works beautifully. The paint was dull from age, a mild buffing compound took the dullness and fine scratches out, then made the black look even sharper by using ceramic wax made specifically for black-painted cars. I also replaced the cables which goes without saying, but it ran well with the old Campy Gran Sport derailleurs, but the Nuovo Record derailleurs seem to shift faster and more positive, not sure why since they were supposedly the same except for the finish, and level of polish? The entire bike from the factory was Campy except for the brake levers and calipers which were Dia Compe Carrera which did come from the factory with those, but I want to switch those over to the Campy stuff I have just so it all matches.

The only issue I'm having with the Nuova Record rear derailleur is that it's a short cage unit, the Sport was a long cage unit, so now I can't shift into first due to the short cage pulley hitting the gear, so I found a corncob style Suntour Winner Pro 5 speed NOS 13-17 freewheel from Ebay I ordered yesterday.

Hmm, yeah, the tape thing might be the cheapest, but the saddle is old, with cracks, but it wasn't used much due to the lack of sit bone indentations, that was one of the reasons I thought about replacing the seat, it was brown originally, but I learned recently that back then they used a much darker brown then they do today. So looks wise, would you rather see that bike with black seat, black tape, or brown seat, brown tape? I'm leaning towards black on black, but I'm not good with color matching. And leave the tan hoods to match the tan tires like you said.

Opinions??
I always think about how leather ages naturally, the older ones had a more organic finish, black ones seem lighten with age and the brown ones darkened, both usually aged very well IMO.

The bar tape here looks fine and if it were darker would probably be better, you could try to darken it with some Proofide, or the like sparingly but black may be better.

Especially on a C+V Raleigh, I think they look great with a well aged Brooks, bar tape with aging may look better too if it darker enough.
Old 04-07-23, 08:10 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I always think about how leather ages naturally, the older ones had a more organic finish, black ones seem lighten with age and the brown ones darkened, both usually aged very well IMO.

The bar tape here looks fine and if it were darker would probably be better, you could try to darken it with some Proofide, or the like sparingly but black may be better.

Especially on a C+V Raleigh, I think they look great with a well aged Brooks, bar tape with aging may look better too if it darker enough.
I did put Proofide on the tape, it did nothing to darken the color, it's Brooks leather tape too. I've been researching how to darken the leather, and I might try using black Kiwi shoe paste wax, they seem to think that will work, but it may take several thin coats, but by doing many thin coats you can stop when you reach the darkness level you want...I'm hoping anyways! Neats oil was mentioned, but I tried that before I tried the Proofide, it did nothing to darken it. So, I'm going to try the black shoe polish.

I had to nourish the saddle due to years of neglect, the saddle was in surprisingly good shape despite the neglect, I put some Neats oil on it, a no no according to Brooks instructions I have from a previous Brooks saddle I use to own till got damaged in an accident; then once that soaked in, I put the Proofide on, the saddle now has an interesting shine to it after riding on it a couple of times and let my shorts polish it, the leather actually is now looking like it had been taken care of all those years!

This bike won't get ridden much, just on special occasions. Right now, my investment to resurrect this bike has been less than $300, most of that expense came from having the wheels rebuilt with new spokes and my stored Campy Nuova Record hubs. I had all that Campy Nuovo Record stuff I bought new in 1976 and never used the stuff. Sounds weird, but what happened was I bought a Trek TX900 in 96, it came as only a frame and fork, so I bought Campy Super Record for it, while I was at the bike shop getting the bike and components ordered, there was an open box of Campy Nuova Record missing some of the components except for the derailleurs, hubs, and brake levers and calipers, the derailleurs and hubs were new, the brake levers and calipers were used, but the package was cheap so I bought it thinking someday I might use the stuff, all those years later that someday came!

I might try to find a black leather saddle bag for kicks.
Old 04-07-23, 10:40 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
I did put Proofide on the tape, it did nothing to darken the color, it's Brooks leather tape too. I've been researching how to darken the leather, and I might try using black Kiwi shoe paste wax, they seem to think that will work, but it may take several thin coats, but by doing many thin coats you can stop when you reach the darkness level you want...I'm hoping anyways! Neats oil was mentioned, but I tried that before I tried the Proofide, it did nothing to darken it. So, I'm going to try the black shoe polish.

I had to nourish the saddle due to years of neglect, the saddle was in surprisingly good shape despite the neglect, I put some Neats oil on it, a no no according to Brooks instructions I have from a previous Brooks saddle I use to own till got damaged in an accident; then once that soaked in, I put the Proofide on, the saddle now has an interesting shine to it after riding on it a couple of times and let my shorts polish it, the leather actually is now looking like it had been taken care of all those years!

This bike won't get ridden much, just on special occasions. Right now, my investment to resurrect this bike has been less than $300, most of that expense came from having the wheels rebuilt with new spokes and my stored Campy Nuova Record hubs. I had all that Campy Nuovo Record stuff I bought new in 1976 and never used the stuff. Sounds weird, but what happened was I bought a Trek TX900 in 96, it came as only a frame and fork, so I bought Campy Super Record for it, while I was at the bike shop getting the bike and components ordered, there was an open box of Campy Nuova Record missing some of the components except for the derailleurs, hubs, and brake levers and calipers, the derailleurs and hubs were new, the brake levers and calipers were used, but the package was cheap so I bought it thinking someday I might use the stuff, all those years later that someday came!

I might try to find a black leather saddle bag for kicks.
I use regular black shoe polish to even out scarring and scuffing on all leather saddles that need help.

The tape finish is very robust like new saddles that don't absorb the polish or proofide easily.

This may be a slippery slope, the tape may need too much treatment to darken but it will probably need to be thin and absorbent to work but may soften the tape too much by the time it darkens enough.
Old 04-08-23, 09:48 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I use regular black shoe polish to even out scarring and scuffing on all leather saddles that need help.

The tape finish is very robust like new saddles that don't absorb the polish or proofide easily.

This may be a slippery slope, the tape may need too much treatment to darken but it will probably need to be thin and absorbent to work but may soften the tape too much by the time it darkens enough.
Crap! I'll try the polish and see, if it doesn't work I could buy some leather dye, stuff called Fiebings won't bleed of onto clothes or hands...supposedly anyways.
Old 04-08-23, 04:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Crap! I'll try the polish and see, if it doesn't work I could buy some leather dye, stuff called Fiebings won't bleed of onto clothes or hands...supposedly anyways.
Shoe polish has a wax in it so it may not absorb dye if you go that way.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-09-23, 08:54 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
While visiting the local co-op, I found the very dry RD in the bottom of the derailleur bin. Having done it before, it looks like it was left in the degreasing tank over the weekend. Having found it, it made sense to buy the dt shifters in the box. Sadly, not SuperbePro; it appears to be the 7spd Accushift levers that were upgraded. The employee then showed me the faded crankeset that I'll try to ovencleaner.

I could swear that the price tag on the shifter box looks like a BikeNashbar tag. Having ordered a lot from them in the early '90s, it sure looks familiar.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-09-23, 11:52 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I could swear that the price tag on the shifter box looks like a BikeNashbar tag. Having ordered a lot from them in the early '90s, it sure looks familiar.
It is indeed a Nashbar tag. It's fun to find those on parts in the storage boxes and say "so that's how long ago I ordered that part".
Old 04-12-23, 06:07 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Here at the Goodwill is a Fuji Berkeley. I converted this bike townie, shed almost ten pounds off, and sold during the height of the lockdown. At $199 it's selling for more than I done did.
I wonder how long it will take to sell.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 04-12-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 09:18 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I won the auction for this '85 Bridgestone T700 touring bike yesterday. I placed a max bid of $30 and got it for $11. I will be passing it on after I give it the once over. Will be putting on drop bars and bar end shifters. Picture is from the auction.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 04-13-23, 09:57 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

​​​​​​
Picked this up for $10. It had a half removed cartridge bottom bracket in it with a stripped drive side cup, a trashed head set and the remains of rusted out bolts through the mid fork braze-on's . I'm still not sure how to approach the cosmetics on Cannondale frames, but the fork looks like a good candidate for a Franken-tourer transplant.

Last edited by bark_eater; 04-13-23 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 04-13-23, 12:00 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

​​​​​​
Picked this up for $10. It had a half removed cartridge bottom bracket in it with a stripped drive side cup, a trashed head set and the remains of rusted out bolts through the mid fork braze-on's . I'm still not sure how to approach the cosmetics on Cannondale frames, but the fork looks like a good candidate for a Franken-tourer transplant.
Not bad for $10! Cannondale's paint from that era stunk anyway, just strip it down and repaint with spray.bike or something.
Old 04-13-23, 05:08 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
A 2001 Diamondback BMX pulled off of a trailer headed for the dump.

same day, a 70’s Kuwahara made Concord Freedom Deluxe 10 speed given to me from the LBS.

Definetly opposite ends of the spectrum!

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-14-23, 02:55 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Kinda bike related - I can now add braze-ons at will!

Local on-line listing... brand new with the instruction manual.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 04-14-23, 04:38 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
I can now add braze-ons at will!
Don't go mad with power or pretty soon all your forks will look like this!
Likes For Clang:
Old 04-14-23, 08:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Here at the Goodwill is a Fuji Berkeley. I converted this bike townie, shed almost ten pounds off, and sold during the height of the lockdown. At $199 it's selling for more than I done did.
I wonder how long it will take to sell.
I've seen the same thing. I hear of people getting awesome deals like Trek 7xx bikes at the thrift store for $40 but around here any time I've stepped in one to have a look, I mostly see el cheapos and beach cruisers for $169-199. Its like...come on! Someone donated this thing to you!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-16-23, 08:13 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Quite literally. They (Schwinn Sprint and Huffy Olympia) were parked a few doors down the alley by the trash cans with flat tires. If I can't do anything useful with them (they are both pretty low-end), I'll just donate them to the local bike co-op. The Schwinn's (wait for it) seatpost is stuck. I dribbled a bit of ATF+acetone on it. Hopeful that gets things moving. Unfortunately, the bike has a steel seat pin, so there's no "handle" I can use as a lever.

Last edited by smontanaro; 04-16-23 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-16-23, 09:02 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I've seen the same thing. I hear of people getting awesome deals like Trek 7xx bikes at the thrift store for $40 but around here any time I've stepped in one to have a look, I mostly see el cheapos and beach cruisers for $169-199. Its like...come on! Someone donated this thing to you!
Lol, the Berk was left at storage at an apartment, was given to The RiddleOfSteel, given to me, sold, and given away again. So that's at least four times it was a gave away. Also means that it has been up sale three times, and will have change ownership a whopping seven times in the last two years after the Goodwill sell.
Old 04-16-23, 04:17 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I won the auction for this '85 Bridgestone T700 touring bike yesterday. I placed a max bid of $30 and got it for $11. I will be passing it on after I give it the once over. Will be putting on drop bars and bar end shifters. Picture is from the auction.

I finished the rehab. I had everything I needed in my parts bin. It is in excellent shape.

Old 04-17-23, 09:37 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

​​​​​​The most recent addition to the I want to be a framebuilder when I grow up collection.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 04-18-23, 07:00 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
A pretty nice box lot from an auction this week. A couple of brand new computers and decent Ritchie stems and a few bottles of Park citrus chain cleaner etc. I guess it was worth $6.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 04-26-23, 12:54 PM
bark_eater 

I guess the police dropped off all the bikes they couldn't auction off. Mostly walmart stuff. There was the mangled remains of something nice, "Kona" maybe that gave up some Deore 9 speed bits, I also got a few other random bits including a funky 700c 7 speed freewheel hybrid wheelset with radial spokes on the front wheel, and this frame that I left the realy rusty crusty parts of at the scrap yard. A questionable acquisition but I like the color.....

Last edited by bark_eater; 04-26-23 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 01:43 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Quite literally. They (Schwinn Sprint and Huffy Olympia) were parked a few doors down the alley by the trash cans with flat tires. If I can't do anything useful with them (they are both pretty low-end), I'll just donate them to the local bike co-op. The Schwinn's (wait for it) seatpost is stuck. I dribbled a bit of ATF+acetone on it. Hopeful that gets things moving. Unfortunately, the bike has a steel seat pin, so there's no "handle" I can use as a lever.

-----

strap wrench

removal of bottom bracket assembly will afford opportunity to dribble some persuader in from the other end...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-26-23 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 04-26-23, 02:31 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
strap wrench

removal of bottom bracket assembly will afford opportunity to dribble some persuader in from the other end...
​​​​​​
Thanks. The ATF/acetone mixture did three trick. I am replacing the steel wheels with some alloy ones in my stash. The rear wheel was pretty out-of-true, and several some nipples were rounded off. I had plenty of replacements, but the threading was different. I figured "why bother?"
Old 05-02-23, 06:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Picked this one up out of a dumpster today a little neglected but fairly good shape complete Specialiazed early 2000's road bike fairly nice alloy frame with carbon fork and nicely working 8speed brifters. Gave it quick clean up pumped up the tires and light spry lube on a few parts oiled the chain. and minor adjustment. Took it for a short, ride and everything worked good will probably keep it for a while and fix it up a bit.

As found dirty and neglected,

After about an hour of cleanup in the wild.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-02-23, 07:10 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Who in the world would throw THAT bike in a dumpster!?! Sweet find!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.