Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How screwed up the bike shop business has become,

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How screwed up the bike shop business has become,

Old 06-16-21, 08:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I found my truing stand on CL for $20. Sanded and painted it so it would look nice.

Old 06-16-21, 09:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Had to buy a used part and install it myself. Makes me realize how screwed up the bike shop business has become, especially combined with the fuggled economics of the TechLand area. All of the good mechanics I knew have quit and moved somewhere else, because it's simply too expensive to live here on the $15-20/hr a bike mechanic makes. Even a top mechanic with 20 years' experience probably doesn't make more than $25/hr, otherwise the economics of the shop don't work. You can't live on that when the median home sale price is $1 million.

Now, shops are mostly staffed with high school or college age kids who live with their parents and only know how to assemble new bikes, and have no exposure to older parts or how to work on anything that the shop doesn't sell. It's more like a car dealership service department model, except that bikes don't have warranties, so they do little follow-up work on complex problems.

The last good mechanic I knew owned his own franchised mobile bike shop business, called Velofix. He sold it and took a job at Boeing. I learned this from the replacement Velofix guy, whom I had to call because the rear wheel on my road bike was out of true. I don't have a truing stand to deal with that, so a mechanic had to do it for me.

I've been thinking about this seeming paradox lately: when the cost of living in an area goes up dramatically, the quality of life goes down, even for the people most able to afford it. I wonder if an economist has done a more rigorous analysis of this effect, but it's something I've observed in several places. TechLand is just the most extreme case.

The bike shop example is one. Lots of bike shops have closed, because they can't afford the rent anymore. The ones that survive focus only on selling the most popular brands in large volume (want a Specialized? There are about 30 shops around here that all sell the same Spesh bikes. Want a BMC? There are two shops, and one recently downsized to a space half as big as they previously had.) Landlord is going to rent to whoever can pay the most, and that usually means a corporate brand like a Walgreens rather than a private small business.
Not everyone lives in an area that the median house cost a million dollars. But a good bike mechanic is worth every dime he makes. Sadly far too many cyclist know almost nothing about the mechanics of their bikes.
Old 06-16-21, 10:56 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Not in socal. My LBS (I do all my work except bleeding disc brakes) has 6 - 8 excellent mechanics, charges $100 per hour for shop time and has a 2 - 4 week backlog at all times although they will do simple jobs immediately at times.
Old 06-16-21, 11:06 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Not even close to being more reliable, but probably easier to fix with a hammer.
Modern cars (and bikes) are so much better, and that means more complexity.
That is generally a true statement, However all coins have two sides, which is why people get upset with newer tech.

"Modern cars (and bikes) are so much better, and that means more complexity." What creates the backlash is the inability for many to fix themselves due to a proliferation of standards, and its opposite - proprietary tech, primarily to lock you into a brand, and a lack of spare parts versus the replacement of an entire component, which may or may not be unavailable due to a manufacturers' change for the sake of change. This complexity means many needing to rely on mechanics (bike or car) and/or dealerships (car or bike) where the philosophy is R&R (remove and replace). Add to this the delays in getting a repair appointment, the days in waiting for parts/component availability (I am not referring to current unique challenges), and many peoples total lack of understanding anything mechanical and a total unwillingness or curiosity in how something functions, and the frustration becomes obvious.

Modern cars mechanically are much better, and a lot of that is due to better materials (any of the older riders remember the days of buy the car on Monday, rust on Tuesday before anti-corrosion treatments of the body panels) and assembly techniques. However, a quick review of the Consumer Reports reliability guides show most reliability issues relate to electronics and sensors, and their expense to replace. The old saw comment that, "I bought a new car because the ashtray was full", has been replaced by "I got the car because the infotainment screen died."
Modern bikes, IMHO, shift better than friction shifting, especially for high count cassettes (for MOST riders), tires are far better, and drive trains work very well within a system. However, once a part of that system becomes unavailable, the "fun" begins. Case in point is replacing a brake/shift lever combo for older group series. Whereas before a good mechanic would previously replace the parts, now many will tell the rider it would be cheaper to get a new bike, while extolling the newer tech and often far higher price.
Old 06-16-21, 11:19 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Did you price out the cost of a truing stand and a decent spoke wrench? Just wondering how you evaluated your options.

The simplest option, of course, is to true the wheel in situ. That's how we did it back in the 1970s, unless you were a wheel builder.
When a friend on a ride groused about his wheel needing to be trued, I pulled over and told him I had found a truing stand. When he stopped and turned around to look, I turned my bike upside down and showed how the brake calipers and pads could be used for truing. He said he had never heard of that. ANOTHER case for rim brakes...
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 06-16-21, 11:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think "workforce housing" is the current term for the issue OP describes. Further discussion will probably get this moved to the newly resurrected P&R.

See "Employee housing"

https://jobs.erwsd.org/why-work-for-us
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-16-21, 11:55 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Did you price out the cost of a truing stand and a decent spoke wrench? Just wondering how you evaluated your options.

The simplest option, of course, is to true the wheel in situ. That's how we did it back in the 1970s, unless you were a wheel builder.
I bought a really junky used bike a couple months ago.

The only purpose of this bike was to strip parts off and learn stuff.

Flipped the bike upside down and watched the RJ video on truing. Not 100%, but much better and I learned in the process.
Old 06-16-21, 12:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
There is not enough time nor words to explain the areas where our economy has changed over the past 50 years; and the impact of all those changes.

However, I believe that it is a correct assessment that people will not pay 3 times the amount for the same service so a bicycle mechanic can earn $50/hr and sustain a lifestyle in expensive areas.

If you really think about it, someone will pay an HVAC tech whatever they need to pay to get their A/C working and maintain their comfort level during the Summer heat wave.

At the same time, that person will ride their bike at speeds that will result in death, but complain about not being able to find a good bike mechanic to overhaul their disc brakes.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-16-21, 12:54 PM
James1964 

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Bikes are made in low-wage countries. When a shop charges $100+ per hour for service labor, replacing is often cheaper.

Last edited by James1964; 06-16-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-16-21, 02:01 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think there's been any comparable change in reliability for bikes, it's always been a relatively reliable machine. And a simple single speed bike can be just about the most reliable of them all.

Car complexity has made them more reliable in that it's really the electronic controls that have curbed the IC engine's tendency to slowly blow itself up. A lot of independent mechanics shops closed a few years back as they couldn't afford the ever escalating number of electronic devices needed to service a car.
Fair point, I was thinking more reliability for cars since bikes are pretty simple mechanically anyway. The technology has definitely improved and brought advances, but those are mostly performance/ease of use rather than reliability. The only reliability improvements I can think of are things like tyres with better puncture resistance, and better manufacturing quality.
Old 06-16-21, 02:14 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Not in socal. My LBS (I do all my work except bleeding disc brakes) has 6 - 8 excellent mechanics, charges $100 per hour for shop time and has a 2 - 4 week backlog at all times although they will do simple jobs immediately at times.
Bleeding brakes is like easier than inflating a tire !
Old 06-16-21, 02:26 PM
2old

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Bleeding brakes is like easier than inflating a tire !
Thanks for telling me something I already know. Have had it done once and, since the price of a kit was more than the cost to bleed, I had the shop do it.
Old 06-16-21, 03:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
Don't be afraid of these kid mechanics, they're going to replace us old guys and most of them are pretty sharp. They learn and grow up fast, I see it happening all around me in all jobs not just bike mechanics.
Only if they are mentored.

I've seen many "young people" think they know everything and don't know their limitations.

I work on vintage Volkswagens and have helped many people locally learn how to work on their cars. Most 20 somethings never ask about torque specs while more "mature" people understand that.

Last thing you need is for an untrained mechanic to under torque the stem so the bars slip or over tighten it and the bolts snap.
Old 06-16-21, 04:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
In my hometown, the LBS had a revolving door of high school kids who loved bikes. I was one of them and I loved it. I spent the night in the summer assembling bikes all night because I wanted to.

In my early 20’s, I worked at other shops, mostly for the discount to support the racing habit.

Teenagers and guys in their early 20’s are a bit cocky and careless. They’re hard workers but a shop manager who double checks their work is essential. And yes, even the one who fired me did the right thing.

It’s a very different thing to be able to mess with your own stuff, then tinker again when it’s not right, until perfection. To mess with something once and let it out the door is another skill entirely.

20+ years later my attention to detail has changed. I’d be an excellent mechanic now but I’ve gravitated towards a career where that same attention is rewarded quite a bit more elsewhere.

So the OP really makes some sense to me.

Other than learning to fix your own bikes, I can’t think of a solution.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-16-21, 05:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
It’s a very different thing to be able to mess with your own stuff, then tinker again when it’s not right, until perfection. To mess with something once and let it out the door is another skill entirely.
+1
Old 06-16-21, 06:00 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
What do you do about it?

A lot of people already have a good knowledge of how to fix bikes. I would encourage those who don't to learn. Then you don't have to rely on others.

In the future we will buy more and more online.

You probably want a spare bike you can ride while waiting for parts.
Likes For alo:
Old 06-16-21, 06:53 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Sorry, but old cars were not more reliable.
Tim
true but one could usually repair his/her bike and car by ones self

don't tell me what FORD means!
Old 06-16-21, 06:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Figure Out Road Derailleurs?
Old 06-16-21, 07:55 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
With all of the info, tools, parts available online….seems silly to go to a bike shop. The hassle of driving there and the limited selection of parts/accessories keeps me away.

A few clicks online and I have the parts/tools I need in 48hrs.
Old 06-16-21, 07:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
With all of the info, tools, parts available online….seems silly to go to a bike shop. The hassle of driving there and the limited selection of parts/accessories keeps me away.

A few clicks online and I have the parts/tools I need in 48hrs.
Some people have no skills.

From my experience, most triathletes can't even clean their bikes let along service them.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-16-21, 08:02 PM
GBK233

Originally Posted by GlennR
Some people have no skills.

From my experience, most triathletes can't even clean their bikes let along service them.
Agreed. Many people are too lazy to become self sufficient. They’ll spend countless hours on Facebook and Instagram….but can’t be bothered to google how to clean a chain, index a derailleur etc etc

I run into it A LOT in the automotive business. Young and old who have no idea how to put air in their tires….let alone do simple things like changing an air filter.
Old 06-16-21, 08:06 PM
GBK233

Originally Posted by 2old
$100 an hour to work on a bike? Yikes. A fool and his money…I suppose
Likes For GBK233:
Old 06-16-21, 09:17 PM
2old

Probably peanuts compared to what the auto dealerships average. Might be an instructional experience for you to stand outside the shop (The Path in Tustin, CA) and tell all the individuals having service work done that they're fools.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-16-21, 10:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It's not that they don't know how to clean and service their bikes, they just don't want to do it after they pee on them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-16-21, 11:24 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I don't remember a time where bike shops were not full of young people barely making a living. If you actually did find a shop where the tech was over 30, 9/10 he was the owner. The bike business is and always will be boom and bust.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.