Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

88' ST400 Cannondale 27" build (Irvine)

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 03:45 PM
EJS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

Recently posted in the "vintage classic" section and received some great feedback! Was lucky enough to come across an ST bike after my daily commuter was stolen. Hard to find frames that fit as I'm a bit over 6'7 and a heavier rider. would love to know if anyone in the region is knowledgeable about what components I should try and source for my rebuild. It's going to take some time and I'm not trying to spend huge but I'm willing to invest in strong reliable parts that won't fail under the strain of a larger rider. I've gotten some great advice on wider drop bars and stem adaptors, though I may keep the original nitto stem.... If anyone has any ideas on wheels, cranks, crank arms, gear sets etc I'm all ears. Stoked to be a part of the community!
Old 07-28-22, 03:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
you may also find some assistance with your queries on the "clydesdales/athenas" forum.
Old 07-28-22, 05:39 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I'd suggest double-wall rims. One of the problems with heavier riders is more stress on wheel components. Single-wall rims are not sturdy enough to handle that stress, so over time, broken spokes, rims & hubs result. Double-wall rims help offset that stress and prevent broken parts down the road.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 07-28-22, 06:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
You're asking a somewhat difficult question. Since we don't know what you already have and what you need... I would suggest scouring C/L and going with name brand components i.e. Shimano, Sram. It's going to be sort of like hearding cats just trying to build a bike for you over the internet. If you have a specific question as to if a particular component will work in your situation then... I'm all ears. Also, if you have any specific mechanical questions you'll probably get more answers by posting your question in the bicycle mechanics forum.