Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Wide Gates At Katella Bridge Crossing Reopening -- Date TBD -- But It's Happening

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Wide Gates At Katella Bridge Crossing Reopening -- Date TBD -- But It's Happening

Old 05-04-22, 12:59 PM
EvilEuro
Getting A Pedicure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm cross-posting this in its own thread as well as in the "Everything SART" thread.

For those of us who have used the SART for many years, you may remember that the gates at the Katella bridge crossing used to be wide open in the days before the homeless encampment issues. When the homeless camps were cleared out the double gates at Katella were closed and never reopened, leaving only the narrow side entrances for use on both banks of the bridge crossing. The entry angles are sharp, the width of the opening narrow, and it can really slow things down on the weekend when large groups are riding, or at any time when riders meet going opposite directions.

In short, it has been a pain in the butt and nuisance for riders. However, that is about to change.

I sent an email a few weeks ago to OC Parks, the county department responsible for the Santa Ana River Trail, asking why the larger double gates at the Katella bridge crossing were still closed after the homeless camps had been removed? They politely told me that the gates were still being kept closed to prevent unwanted vehicle access to the trail and to prevent trespassing. I noted the issues this creates for SART riders and pointed out that double gates were open at other points on the SART (Ball Rd, Lincoln Ave, and Chapman Ave), as well as at the ARTIC station parking lot just a few hundred yards from the Katella bridge.

Another issue is that while OC Parks is responsible for the SART, it is OC Public Works who is responsible for the gates and any installation changes that may need to happen.

I received a email this morning saying that this issue is about to change. Quoting from the email:

I am working with our fence contractor on building a big double gate that will be opened and closed every day. This will allow the full opening (22 feet) to be used as trail access. We are also going to install pull bollards to prevent unwanted vehicular access. I don’t have an exact date for the install, but I wanted to let you know that I’m working on it!
While there is no exact date given for the change, it should be happening sooner rather than later. And it'll make crossing the bridge much easier than it has been in the recent past. I believe that the bridge gates will open at dawn and close at dusk, similar to the entrance at ARTIC.

OC Parks has been brilliant in all of this. The entire exchange took less than two weeks and they were very responsive once the issue was brought to their attention.
Old 05-04-22, 05:36 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
That was a hazard, thanks.
Old 10-12-22, 08:47 AM
EvilEuro
Getting A Pedicure

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Received an email from OC Parks this morning saying that the modifications of the gates at the Katella bridge crossing are now completed. I don't know when they were completed as I rode the SART a few weeks ago and it looked as if no work had been done.

Anyone seen the new modifications? If so, what's your opinion on them?
Old 10-12-22, 09:08 AM
EvilEuro
Getting A Pedicure

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just received a photo from OC Parks showing the new gates and setup. This is the east bank gate heading south on the SART at Katella. Can anyone confirm the same has been done for the west bank gate next to the Honda Center?