Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike seats? Comfort, men's health

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-06-19, 02:07 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

Mainly upright riding position. Got to be comfy, on hard tyres and allow decent ventilation; it'll be used for rides of an hour, max, so looking at below £50 or $ equiv. (Not much in it these days . . . ) Like something you sit on, and think "Ohhhh! That's comfy . ."
There's a dearth of decent reviews on most stuff I've researched, so . . any bargains out there?
Old 08-06-19, 02:37 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Try as I may, I cannot find a saddle more comfortable than the Serfas Dual Density with cut-out. I've used it on a mountain bike and three different road bikes for rides up to 100 miles. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK or not, but I highly recommend it.

Link on Amazon

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-06-19, 02:38 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
What's comfortable for one person might be torture for another. The one bike I ride in an upright position has an old Brooks double railed B72. I got it off a bike I found in the metal pile at the local "Recycling and Transfer Station", formerly known as the Dump. The new ones are expensive.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 08-06-19, 03:22 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Don't let price prevent you from getting a good saddle. Unfortunately, you have to try a bunch before you find the one. I've gone through a dozen saddles and I find the Specialized Power & Power Arc saddles fit me the best. Your mileage may vary.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 08-06-19, 03:29 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Many bike shops have loaner programs where you can try out different saddles before you settle on the one you want to buy.
Old 08-06-19, 05:38 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
SEARCH EBAY (though not for anything other than NEW Chinese made spring saddle seats with a cut-out hole in the center of this wide seat...)

You'll find them called "Big Bum Seats" or "Wide Bum Seats" or "Wide Saddle Seats"

THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM TO CHOOSE FROM...some without the cut-out hole , and some with it. (most are in the $14 to $20 cost range with FREE SHIPPING)

There is a large Chinese maker, called GUB (they make everything from helmets, to accessories, to seats) reliable, well-engineered quality on everything that I have tried from them, so my guess is that their seat is okay too. I do know that they make a very large and heavy cruiser type saddle that has very large coil spring suspension that is said to be very comfortable, but it probably weighs three pounds.
GUB does make a fantastic helmet called the GUB CITY classic or something like that, it has an integral visor (not removeable) that is molded as part of the outer protective shell.....this helmet is available in just four colors BLUE, RED, WHITE, OR BLACK.....one of the better helmets that I have seen......rounded back ...not aero in shape.....much more like what police personnel in my region wear for head protection while riding police bicycles. Incredibly comfortable too with great padding and the dial in knob............................see GUB×ÔÐгµÍ·¿øÆ·ÅƹÙÍø|×ÔÐгµÍ·¿ø|ÉîÛÚÊнðÃË×ÔÐгµÃ³Ò×ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾ but you may have to learn to read Chinese......................the quality of the GUB helmet is fantastic and some of their accesories has been really good. There are some direct from China ebayers that sell some of GUB items.
Old 08-07-19, 06:06 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
I have a Terry Men's Liberator (very old one) that I still use on my mtn.bike. It's a comfortable saddle. One that Terry makes which might work for a more upright position is the Men's Cite Y Gel--here's a link and read the Terry Guarantee in the upper right corner. I didn't have to use it with my Liberator, so can't speak firsthand how easily it might be to make a return if needed. Link: Terry Men's Cite Y Gel Bicycle Seat Threads about which saddle always come up, and as you know, the same saddle may be great for one rider and torture for another.
Old 08-07-19, 06:09 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
I have an old Terry Liberator that has served me well, but is now wearing out. I am also partial to Brooks Pro saddles, not just on the road bikes, but also on my mountain bike, with its somewhat more upright riding position.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-07-19, 03:50 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I got really lucky when my bike fitter put this Planet Bike ARS on my Trek in '07! One of the few that got it right the first time. Even after a long lay off I never get saddle sore. And its $40 on Amazon.

{image wouldn't post thus deleted. Ask the Google}
Likes For Cyclist03516:
Old 08-08-19, 09:39 AM
Runinman72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride the saddle before buying. Too personal an item. Would not buy on-line unless you have tried it!
Likes For Runinman72:
Old 08-10-19, 07:18 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Keep your eye on the bargain bins at your LBS. Both of the ones I frequent have bins for saddles that have been replaced when a customer wanted something different. Most are entry level saddles (don't totally dismiss these, I've got a Bontrager SSR on my MTB that I find quite comfortable despite it being a "cheap" seat). I've found Specialized Avatars and Toupes for less than half of new and you couldn't tell anyone had ever sat on them.
Old 08-11-19, 02:15 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
I know for me I'm not too much of a fan of most standard seats that come with your bike. I didn't like my seat on my Specialized Expedition Sport comfort bike so after some research I ended up going with the Serfas FS-CR gel seat. Wow a comfortable seat that I could actually ride and enjoy myself instead of riding in pain. Now I have a new hybrid bike and will again be getting a Serfas gel seat so i can ride in comfort. Going to go a little smaller for my new seat but will still be the Serfas gel style for sure.
Old 08-17-19, 06:39 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
My 50-lb aluminum electric bike is the only one that requires a specially-cushy saddle, but I don't like or nor need the cushiest kinds. I have used the Serfas Performance Rx on this bike since new and it's suited me fine. Unfortunately, it's currently $72 at Amazon in the US. I paid $70 in 2013. I for sure have seen it for at least $65 in the interim -still not cheap, but not as ridiculously-priced as many others. There are other/non-"Performance" Rx models that sell for less, but I've never used any of them. Good like on finding a comfortable option that fits and suits you well.

N.B.: I stopped riding on "hard tires" years ago, and skinny ones, even on my road bike. Also, I'm continuously checking myself that I'm always riding on my seat bones.
Old 08-18-19, 12:21 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
That’s odd I have never ever replaced a stock recumbent seat.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 09-03-22, 10:59 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5387 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 229 Posts
I don't see much love on the forums for large, cushy seats, but it seems that old guys on the trails like them. A local store has some on clearance and one of them is calling my name.
Anybody like big cushy seats?
Old 09-03-22, 11:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
big cushy seats can feel really good initially - but then not too good after more time spent on them

sometimes too soft / cushy will allow pressure on areas that don't respond well to the increase in pressure

and soft / cushy seats are typically very wide - and the increased / excessive width can cause issues from the movement while pedaling (chafing, etc)
Old 09-05-22, 10:37 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I, like many , searched around for a comfortable saddle but only became more frustrated. I got a sit bone measurement, bought the recommended saddle, and still had issues. After one longer ride, I noticed that one side of my butt was sorer than the other. Took note on my next rides and can only guess that one of my sit bones, the left, is either longer or something different with it, so I bought a Brooks Imperial. It has deformed/formed to my odd skeletal formation after some miles, and I am now good to go. Yes, it is heavier than the other saddles I now have on my shelf but I can ride as long as my legs will carry me now and that is so much better. If you buy any saddle online make sure you read the fine print of the return policy. Good luck. And yes, my saddle is not the way all of the experts say it should be but this is what works for me.
Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 09-05-22 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 01:18 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts

the seat I often recommend is the WTB Speed V

it is the seat I initially used after a 20 year layoff from bike riding

not a lightweight seat - but versatile and comfortable for many

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ddle/wtb-speed

Likes For t2p:
Old 09-10-22, 08:17 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I switched from a stock road bike saddle to a Selle Anatomica. Worked well until I became more fit and rode more aggressively. Now I use a Selle Italia Boost. Large cut out and works well.

Mike
Old 09-11-22, 09:24 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts

Selle SMP TRK

My butt is worth spending $85 on.
Old 09-11-22, 09:38 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Please don't laugh, but my boys tend to hang to one side which causes some irritation over time. That said, the Brooks saddle and sitting on my "sits" bone has made any saddle better.
Old 09-11-22, 10:09 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
It took me a while, a lot of chafing (the main issue for me), and some various saddles to figure out that I was most comfy on very narrow wedged shaped (for the chafing) saddles with a bit of padding (for the bones), which is probably not a self-evident choice for someone on a hybrid. Don't think for a moment that what works for someone else is what you should do.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 09-11-22, 10:13 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I donated several different saddles to the local bike co-op over a few years. I would try one for a while, giving my anatomy time to adjust to the shape, cushioning, width, etc. If it still was uncomfortable, I would try something else. Some of them looked like they would be okay, but after 20 miles, felt like some type of Medieval torture device. I finally found one made by Astvte, a model that was being discontinued and was heavily discounted (good thing, original price was $375!). It has carbon rails and has been the most comfortable saddle since my old Avocet back on my 80s racing bike.
There are some shops (very few) that have a 'try it for X days' policy on saddles, but you're limited to the ones they have available to loan.
Old 09-11-22, 11:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Please don't laugh, but my boys tend to hang to one side which causes some irritation over time. That said, the Brooks saddle and sitting on my "sits" bone has made any saddle better.
Do you wear bib shorts? They keep your boys lifted and out of the way of the saddle. I wouldn't ride without bib shorts.

If any part of your "soft tissues" are touching the saddle, that's a fail.

Old 09-11-22, 11:27 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Do you wear bib shorts? They keep your boys lifted and out of the way of the saddle. I wouldn't ride without bib shorts.

If any part of your "soft tissues" are touching the saddle, that's a fail.
I don't disagree, but I am not wearing bike shorts on short grocery trips.
Likes For Chuck Naill:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.