Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

el dorado park LB Area II hazards

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 01-15-22, 02:37 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello,

General info about Park Layout
https://www.longbeach.gov/park/park-...regional-park/

A few weeks back I had a fall exiting El Dorado Park from Area II onto Wardlow, eastbound. I was only 20 yards from Wardlow and went into the gutter to avoid the tire stops. Somehow there is mud accumulating there, when covered with leaves it was unexpected. I lost steering, fish tailed and struck a pedal on the curb, then got thrown to the right.

Bike took the worst, but is still rideable. I was able to tumble and roll out across the sidewalk onto the grass.
I'm posting since it seems the Landscape contractors are spilling lots of dirt in places that it never gets normally.

The portion of the SGRT in Area II & III is also loaded with sand in too many places, enough to be a hazard.
Starting to think about a special trip with hand tools to do a cleanup, with Roadie concerns in mind.
Likes For marquhar:
Old 01-15-22, 11:48 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
^ thanks for the heads up. so close to the sgrt that more than a few riders will end up hitting that park at some point.
Old 01-18-22, 04:08 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Yeah that exit road has been cr@p for a long time. I use the center gap between the back-up spikes. The entire park could use a re-pave that'd be nice.
On the underpass portions of Cerritos/Spring & Ball Rd./Wardlow I'll exit the trail and use the park road section there's much more room especially on weekends when the trail is crowded.
West
Old 01-19-22, 10:20 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
The roads inside the park including all the ingress and egress points are awful. I have lived next to the park for 50 years and I don't think they've ever done an ounce of repair. I'm surprised someone hasn't been hurt so bad that they've sued the city.

marquhar If I was you I'd go over to the park headquarters on Studebaker and file some sort of claim or grievance. At least put it on their radar. The section of road you're talking about is never maintained. If you're lucky... the landscapers may blow the leaves around out of the road but that is about it.
Old 02-04-22, 09:45 PM
marquhar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Today, packed up a small kit to remove and pack sand from the SGRT. Picked the two sides of Spring Street, one by the Nature Center, the other north side opens out to the Archery Range. I skipped cleaning the area where I crashed and went straight to the trail sections with deep sand going across most of the trail.

This was way more of a chore than I expected. My kit included a 3.5 FT broom, a sturdy dustpan, and 2 trash bags.
To loosen the crusty sand I flipped the broom over and impaled the blocks. The whole operation was way overdue and I only got a start on it. Its still far cleaner and safer than before.

Some of the roadies thought I was recovering from a crash, most ignored me, but a Ranger stopped by, then one old-timer stopped to chat.
Likes For marquhar:
Old 02-06-22, 06:52 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a very commendable and selfless effort on behalf of everyone who rides that path Chapeau!!
West
Old 05-04-22, 10:07 AM
marquhar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is where I crashed, got thrown to the right, luckily tumbling onto the grass.
Across Wardlow is the Firestation, to the right are the 3 pullup bars.
Old 05-04-22, 10:12 AM
marquhar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This low spot in the sgrt trail was thick with sand, enough that the graphix were covered over.
I was here for over 45m, scooping sand with my dust pan.
Likes For marquhar: