Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Omicron Has Found Our House

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 05:06 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Apparently after dodging COVID up until now my wife and I tested positive. My son was infected by a coworker on a Friday but wasn’t aware of it at the time. His coworker said that he wasn’t feeling well…….My wife was with my son while visiting her 90+ year old parents on Sunday to play cards. Later that night my son started seeing symptoms and tested positive and let us know. My wife starting feeling bad 5 days later. I started showing symptoms 2 days after her. So far my in laws are not showing symptoms. Our biggest concern since COVID started has been to keep the in-laws healthy.

As far as timing, We’re just trying to sell our house, pack up to move and we’re on call to keep our grandkids while my daughter delivers her 4th child………Everything has sort of come to a standstill right now. My daughters in-laws were the backup to keep the grandkids but they’ve also just tested positive after returning from a trip overseas. I guess it’s on to the 3rd string????

I’m hoping it’s mild and short lived.
Old 08-26-22, 08:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Hope you all don't get beyond mildly ill. Thanks mostly to vaccination, inconvenience would seem to be more common than serious illness at this point of covid times. Which isn't to say that there aren't still folks becoming very sick with the virus.
I've dodged a positive test, so far, in spite of spouse being positive in June, probably related to both sons, their wives and 2 of 3 kids being positive prior to that. (We care for the grandkids on a regular basis.) No severe covid in our family so far, knock on wood.
Old 09-04-22, 09:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Sorry to hear about you and your wife catching it. What’s worse is the absolute rotten timing all things considered. If you are both vaccinated, the good news is that it is more like having a rotten persistent cold. My physician daughter in law recommends drinking lots of water and really taking it easy by getting plenty of rest. Doing that while moving will be quite the feat.

My wife and I both currently have it as well. We caught it on week one of a three week trip in Europe. We took massive drugs, masked and ate outdoors, in our room or in the rental car rather than exposing others, which is more than I can say about the adolescent male behind us in one of the short hop plane trips we took that had a deep loose cough. My wife took Paxlovid which greatly reduced her symptoms, but had rebound symptoms and is now back to square one.

We are now in week 4 of it and are slowly getting our energy back and taking it relatively easy, but still attending to what needs to be done around the house, yard and dog walks. Still is exhausting though. Haven’t been on my bike in a month when I was getting into peak form. Very frustrating, but am too tired to really care.

You and your wife should take things as slowly as possible, rest as much as you can, and be prepared to have this for quite some time. Best wishes.

Edit: I still tests positive yesterday, but not as positive as when I was deep into it.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-04-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 02:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Sorry to hear about you and your wife catching it. What’s worse is the absolute rotten timing all things considered. If you are both vaccinated, the good news is that it is more like having a rotten persistent cold. My physician daughter in law recommends drinking lots of water and really taking it easy by getting plenty of rest. Doing that while moving will be quite the feat.

My wife and I both currently have it as well. We caught it on week one of a three week trip in Europe. We took massive drugs, masked and ate outdoors, in our room or in the rental car rather than exposing others, which is more than I can say about the adolescent male behind us in one of the short hop plane trips we took that had a deep loose cough. My wife took Paxlovid which greatly reduced her symptoms, but had rebound symptoms and is now back to square one.

We are now in week 4 of it and are slowly getting our energy back and taking it relatively easy, but still attending to what needs to be done around the house, yard and dog walks. Still is exhausting though. Haven’t been on my bike in a month when I was getting into peak form. Very frustrating, but am too tired to really care.

You and your wife should take things as slowly as possible, rest as much as you can, and be prepared to have this for quite some time. Best wishes.

Edit: I still tests positive yesterday, but not as positive as when I was deep into it.
We both tested negative about 7 days after the positive test. We are both vaccinated with two boosters. My Sister in Law finally tested negative after 10 days. I'm pretty much back to normal but still feel a little loss of stamina some times. I rode my bike yesterday and could definitely tell I wasn't fully recovered. I discussed Plaxlovid with our doctor but opted to not do it based on the rebound effects and also I was already starting to feel better. For my wife and I it has been a lingering issues with sinuses although I think mine is probably way ahead of her. She's still coughing a good bit.

My biggest fear is catching COVID while traveling like you did......we just canceled our Europe trip scheduled for early November but replaced it with a trip to Paris and Normandy this April.
Old 09-04-22, 05:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
We were both double vaccinated and I double boosted and my wife triple since she is immunocompromised. I think our issue was getting a huge viral load from the kid. He coughed and coughed before we could get our masks on. So encouraging to hear you improved after only a week. My 92 year old father got it and also was fine in 7 days. My theory is the degree of exposure, and I’m sticking to it.

Likes For rsbob: