Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Lezyne lights

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-01-22, 11:34 AM
swordfish2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts

I just purchased today the Lezyne Macro Drive 1300 XXL Front Light. I got it from tradeinn.com so it will take about a week to arrive in Romania.
Some reviews said that the strap that secure the light to the handlebar it's a little loosey goosey, and when hitting some bumps the light keep rotating downwards.
That's why I also purchased a LEZYNE GoPro Adapter so I can secure the light from my Garmin mount.
Anyone else own this model or a similar one? What is your experience with Lezyne lights?
Old 11-01-22, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
They are a US based company doing STVzO lights I appreciate that. I haven't had much experience from their non-e-bike lights but from their e-bike lights they are great.
Old 11-01-22, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i have somethign similar and bumps cause it to rotate. annoying but not a deal breaker. i've done a lot to prevent it but it still happens so i just live with it. actually what i find more annoying about the thing are the squeeks that come out of the mount. very annoying. i've lubed it and it helps but still have some squeeks.
Old 11-01-22, 02:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I had one of Lezyne's "Classic" handlebar lights, and it worked fine for a couple of years. Eventually the soft button that activates the light and adjusts the brightness stopped engaging with the hardware beneath it. I think NiteRider makes a better handlebar mount, but neither brand's is perfect.
Old 11-01-22, 03:20 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I have two Lezyne handlebar lights that I like very much. They last quite a while on a charge and I've never had any problems with the handlebar mount. The only thing I can compare them to is a similar Blackburn handlebar light. I prefer the Lezyne for both brightness and battery life.
Old 11-01-22, 04:30 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Not a light, but I have one of their computers. After I had had it for a couple of years, past warranty, the rubber cover over the charge port tore and I called to order a new one so I could install it. The gave me a return authorization number and repaired it for free. I think I had to pay for shipping there, but not back.

One positive to their customer service.
Likes For Tusk:
Old 11-01-22, 04:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
I don't own any Lezyne lights, but I have some other products -- and they are all quite good. With that said, for all but the most lightweight lights (and a 1300lm light is not lightweight), I prefer a hard mount -- straps often have the problem you've described.
Old 11-02-22, 07:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by swordfish2011
I just purchased today the Lezyne Macro Drive 1300 XXL Front Light. I got it from tradeinn.com so it will take about a week to arrive in Romania.
Some reviews said that the strap that secure the light to the handlebar it's a little loosey goosey, and when hitting some bumps the light keep rotating downwards.
That's why I also purchased a LEZYNE GoPro Adapter so I can secure the light from my Garmin mount.
Anyone else own this model or a similar one? What is your experience with Lezyne lights?
Just mount the light upside down. Have it hang fron under the bar- that will keep it from rotating down due to weight.
Its how I mount one of my lights on 2 different bikes due to handlebar space and set up. I actually prefer it as it also isnt then perched up atop the bars which just bugs me for no good reason.
Old 11-02-22, 07:27 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just mount the light upside down. Have it hang fron under the bar- that will keep it from rotating down due to weight.
Its how I mount one of my lights on 2 different bikes due to handlebar space and set up. I actually prefer it as it also isnt then perched up atop the bars which just bugs me for no good reason.
Caveat: if the battery compartment is on the bottom of the light (or there is any other potential ingress point on the bottom), be careful when riding in the rain. You don't want water getting in there. If you don't have any of those issues, it's a great suggestion.
Old 11-02-22, 07:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Caveat: if the battery compartment is on the bottom of the light (or there is any other potential ingress point on the bottom), be careful when riding in the rain. You don't want water getting in there. If you don't have any of those issues, it's a great suggestion.
Very true. And if the light is one of those fancy new directional beam type that some of Europe requires, then flipping it will make the beam spread wonky.

I use a couple of lowly Cygolite models so that beam isnt a concern.
Old 11-02-22, 10:00 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
I put one on my son's bike and I haven't seen any issues with it rotating all that much. And he routinely rides off the bike path to pass people when he's going to school.
You can also rotate it so it's under the bar, but it will be harder to see the battery indicator light on the on/off button.
Old 11-02-22, 11:22 AM
swordfish2011

Originally Posted by Koyote
Be careful when riding in the rain. You don't want water getting in there. If you don't have any of those issues, it's a great suggestion.
Hmmm, I never thought about the rain. Anyway, I avoid riding when it rains, but it might catch me on a ride
I will keep that in mind, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-02-22, 11:50 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by swordfish2011
Hmmm, I never thought about the rain. Anyway, I avoid riding when it rains, but it might catch me on a ride
I will keep that in mind, thanks for the suggestion.
If the switch is actually on the bottom, just remember to rotate the light to the handlebar tops if it looks like rain.
Old 11-04-22, 08:22 AM
jimn
Junior Mint

Bikes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimn/

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I have had a Llezyne Strip Drive front light and Zecto Drive model rear light for about 7 years. They were used for many years 5 days / week commuting. The rear just stopped working and the front still works, though doesn't charge enough to run for more than a couple of hours. That seems like pretty good service out of a couple of pretty cheap lights. Also the silicone mounting bands work well for different bikes.
Old 11-04-22, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
just thinking out loud, if the bar it is mounted on is smooth, one might consider a wrap of some kind of friction tape, like maybe hockey stick tape? to lesson the urge to rotate. I dislike fudging mounts, in general, but even more, after getting something just right, trying to move it to another bike & going thru the whole exercise all over again. good luck! hope you get it quickly
Old 11-05-22, 11:43 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I have a Lezyne Macro 400xl strap on, I've had this for about 8 years, not one issue with soft button going bad, the battery did run as long as they advertised, but now it's not due to the battery being 8 years old, so I get about half the run time that it did originally, I expected that to happen though, I just wish bike light manufactures made lights with replaceable batteries instead of throwing away a perfectly fine light when the time comes, but I digress. The strap fastening system I've never been a fan of, regardless what brand makes it, they don't last as long as a hard clamp, nor do they hold the light in place as well as a hard clamp, but they went with the strap because of cost, because of oddly shaped handlebars and seat posts, and because cyclists look at the weight, and a hard clamp weighs more. My Lezyne strap did break about a year ago, Lezyne sent me another one for free, so that was good, but another light (rear) I had the strap was built into the light when it broke I couldn't replace the strap I had to buy a whole new light, not so good.

Lezyne makes solid products, their pumps are the best made, their lights are compatible to other higher end lights, their customer service is top notch.
Old 11-05-22, 10:13 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Other than seeing the name before, I knew squat about the Lezyne lights until a few minutes ago when I looked up their website. I would reject them because almost every one of them has a rubber strap instead of a hardware clamp. BTDT, won't repeat the experience. Also, every single one is a one-piece rechargeable, so (a) if it dies while you're out away from anything, you're in the dark, and (b) once the battery can no longer take a charge, you have to throw the entire light away.

Then I looked at the Cygolite site; they do believe in hardware clamps, but they're also all one-piece.

Neither of these manufacturers say anything at all about the water resistance of their products, though, since they're all sealed up (except for the charging port) that may not be a worry.

I'm glad I ordered the Fenix.
Old 11-06-22, 05:21 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I've owned a lot of different brands of lights over the years. My Lezyne lights (both front and rear models) have never let me down.
Old 11-08-22, 08:44 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts

If you do this, the light will not slip. It holds the rubber much tighter to the bars.
Old 11-08-22, 09:59 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
My wife and I have had Lezyne's (some 1000 lumen bar mount models) for about four years; they have functioned perfectly in every aspect and continue to do so.
Old 11-09-22, 05:12 AM
swordfish2011

I had to cancel the order from tradeinn.com since it wasn't available in the stock, and order it from my country at a higher price.
I have to say that is a great light, and it is very bright when used at 1300 lumens. Some drivers are flashing me, so I guess it's pretty intense.
Overall I am very satisfied with the build quality. Now let's see how long it will last
Old 11-09-22, 05:43 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i don't screw around with bike lights anymore.

went hardcore with this diving light good to 350 ft. awesome metal pushbutton switch works with the heaviest gloves, no more gushy membrane switches that leak water and go out, this baby is magnetic,

logic sw action, hi, med hi, med and low in that order with one click for each.

and it don't flop around with the fennix holder, lost a 120 dollar planet bike light off the carrier. no more of that.

i leave it loose enuff to adj angle for hi or low speed stuff,

no special batt either, standard vape pipe batt available anywhere anytime, and i can use any charger i like with no usb port to wear out.

how do you like me now?

those fancy bike lights are way overpriced for what you get, and what a hassle.

Old 11-14-22, 07:02 AM
swordfish2011

Originally Posted by 55murray

If you do this, the light will not slip. It holds the rubber much tighter to the bars.
That's what I did, attached to my aero handle bars, it holds up really well.
You can see it here attached

Likes For swordfish2011:
Old 11-14-22, 01:14 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
i don't screw around with bike lights anymore.

went hardcore with this diving light good to 350 ft. awesome metal pushbutton switch works with the heaviest gloves, no more gushy membrane switches that leak water and go out, this baby is magnetic,

logic sw action, hi, med hi, med and low in that order with one click for each.

and it don't flop around with the fennix holder, lost a 120 dollar planet bike light off the carrier. no more of that.

i leave it loose enuff to adj angle for hi or low speed stuff,

no special batt either, standard vape pipe batt available anywhere anytime, and i can use any charger i like with no usb port to wear out.

how do you like me now?

those fancy bike lights are way overpriced for what you get, and what a hassle.

How is the brightness and battery life?
Old 11-14-22, 01:33 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
I have a couple of the older Lezyne lights and both are still going strong after 8 or 9 years. I did have to replace one of the rechargeable batteries. Also just got a Microdrive 800 that I mount with the GoPro adapter on my Quadlock and that works great. I needed to use an extended mounting arm to allow for greater range of motion up and down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.