Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop the airport!

Old 11-19-22, 09:47 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually there were about 300,000 planes built during WII.
Ummmm, no. The U.S. alone manufactured about 325,000 warplanes during WW2.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-19-22, 11:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Actually there were about 300,000 planes built during WII.
I'll see your "actually" and raise you a wiki link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...g_World_War_II
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-23-22, 06:48 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Hallelujah!

"The Port of Olympia Commission voted unanimously on Monday to sign a letter expressing opposition to a new airport in Thurston County.

The 3-0 vote now means that port commissioner Bob Iyall will sign his name to a letter that has already been signed by county commissioners and the mayors of Olympia, Lacey and Tumwater. The letter will be sent to state lawmakers who represent Thurston County.

“As demonstrated in this letter, all local jurisdictions stand together in opposition to this proposal,” the letter reads.

Few issues have galvanized county residents quite like the state’s consideration of building a new commercial airport in Thurston County. No one spoke in support of it at the port meeting. Commissioner Joe Downing said the port has received about 200 emails on the topic, but none in favor of the airport.

Downing called the topic the biggest issue the port has encountered during his tenure on the commission.

Commissioner Iyall agreed.

“Since my swearing-in, no topic has brought more passion or response from the people of Thurston County,” he said.

“Thurston County Central,” as the proposed airport site is called, would be located within a circular area that spans six miles in diameter northeast of Tenino. The area includes a significant portion of Pattison Lake to the north, and Rainier Road Southeast cuts through it diagonally.

The Commercial Aviation Coordinating Commission included the Thurston County site in a list of recommendations that it submitted to the state legislature on Oct. 15. The commission has been tasked by the legislature with identifying one location for an airport by a June 15, 2023, deadline, according to The Olympian, because Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is reaching capacity.

In addition to the Thurston County site, the commission is also considering two “greenfield” sites in Pierce County for a new airport. As an alternative to developing a new airport, the commission also is considering expanding Paine Field in Snohomish County, The Olympian reported.

The port commission on Monday voted twice on airport-related business.

After they voted 3-0 to sign the letter, Commissioner Iyall made a second motion to update a letter the port sent to the Commercial Aviation Coordinating Commission in July 2020. That letter also expressed opposition to the proposed airport, but was signed by the previous commission of Downing, E.J. Zita and Bill McGregor."
Old 11-23-22, 07:01 PM
cjenrick

Oh, and for the scientifically challenged>

In 2018, emissions from civil aviation were responsible for around 6% of climate heating worldwide and growing. Interestingly, half of this impact was caused by frequent flyers who represent just 1% of the world’s population. Meanwhile, more than 80% of people have never been on an airplane.
Old 11-23-22, 07:41 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Shouldn't this be in Advocacy? Either that or politics given the last post.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-23-22, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

In 2018, emissions from civil aviation were responsible for around 6% of climate heating worldwide and growing. Interestingly, half of this impact was caused by frequent flyers who represent just 1% of the world’s population. Meanwhile, more than 80% of people have never been on an airplane.
6% is a small number not totally insignificant but you can do more good by not consuming or using animals as animal agriculture contributes more CO2 (14.5% of global emissions) and also more N2O (65% of global emissions)

However this moves this less about cycling. I have been places where the cycle path is near the airport and they had a nice little grassy section you could chill and watch planes take off. While I don't care for flying or planes it is kind of neat experiencing that.
Old 11-23-22, 10:26 PM
cjenrick

I wanted this subject to be seen by the most people, especially those who might live in the area and thus use the pike path.

General Cycling , what does general mean?

General: affecting or concerning all or most people, places or things.

Shouldn't the Winter Socks thread be in the winter cycling forum or should it be here with the other 247 sock threads?

Bike riding is a green activity , like that or not. It has kept me out of a car for the last 12 years. How much gas is that?

If you would ride the bike path and observe where the airport is planned, you might be able to develop a valid opinion on the issue.

The place they want to put the airport happens to be in the most beautiful part of the trail. Furthest from the population centers and with a view of what you might see along a desolate road in Wyoming somewhere.

Don't argue or you will end up bumping this thread which for some strange reason seems to be attracting people who would rather ride on the freeway or on 16 L at JFK.
​​Happy Thanksgiving!

This holiday was invented for you because you are a bunch of jiveass turkeys!

Last edited by cjenrick; 11-23-22 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 10:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Don’t call me Shirley.

My wife is named Shirley and she hates that line, LOL. So our boys being boys, used it often when they were young.

Old 11-23-22, 11:09 PM
phughes

Okay, we all saw it, and now we know it is a political post. It belongs somewhere other than here. Most people understand the need to coexist with things like airports, roads, and the like. You are trying to stop an airport, political, and not realistic for the most part. A bike path can be rerouted around a new airport. You want to completely put a stop to an airport due to your feelings about air travel. That is not general cycling. You are pushing a belief.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-24-22, 06:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
I wanted this subject to be seen by the most people, especially those who might live in the area and thus use the pike path.
If you would ride the bike path and observe where the airport is planned, you might be able to develop a valid opinion on the issue..

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/pacific-northwest/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-24-22, 07:08 AM
Rider_1

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That picture reminds me of the story of the Gimli Glider. Air Canada flight which ran out of fuel because they mixed up imperial/metric units, glided down to land at the unused runway at Gimli to make a landing while a couple of kids were riding their bikes on the runway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

This picture is from the episode of Mayday that told the story of the Gimli Glider. Good call!
Old 11-24-22, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts

This holiday was invented for you because you are a bunch of jiveass turkeys!
“Funny. I was thinking the same thing.”—Jules Winfield
Old 11-24-22, 10:44 AM
tomato coupe

A modern, fully loaded passenger plane gets better fuel efficiency (per passenger, per mile) than automobile travel. So, when little Johnny flies home for Thanksgiving or CEO Sally flies to a meeting, they're using less fuel than if they drove.
Old 11-24-22, 11:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

Well I guess people can drive their electric cars to Europe, and Asia.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-24-22, 11:46 AM
phughes

Well I guess people can drive their electric cars to Europe, and Asia.
Yeah, I'm headed to Colombia tomorrow for work. I think if I leave tonight, I should be able to make it on my bicycle by morning. My wife will have to get an earlier start to ride her bike to Thailand to visit her parents though.
Old 11-24-22, 12:05 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, I'm headed to Colombia tomorrow for work. I think if I leave tonight, I should be able to make it on my bicycle by morning. My wife will have to get an earlier start to ride her bike to Thailand to visit her parents though.
You should probably get some CamelBaks if you don't already have them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-24-22, 07:07 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You should probably get some CamelBaks if you don't already have them.
Thanks for the reminder!