Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 01:16 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Saved this from the Salvation Army...not bike related but still requires balance .
No paddles or fin so they are next on the "find" list.
Nice and clean almost, as new 59.00 bucks with 5 kicked in for a veterans donation..happy as a clam.
I am getting ready for the winter season here in SoCal and this will compliment my long boards quite nicely. It is just a lot harder to get to Malibu or Topanga.
Happy New Year!
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-31-16 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 01:44 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Looks like a great find, but I know squat about boards. Would you list the maker, model, size, and components? It looks mid-Pacific to me, and maybe having a Japanese influence. I would expect SR cranks, Dia Compe brakes, and Suntour derailleurs and shifters were speced on this - probably a plastic saddle (Avocet maybe).
Old 12-31-16, 01:54 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Saved this from the Salvation Army...not bike related but still requires balance .
No paddles or fin so they are next on the "find" list.
Nice and clean almost, as new 59.00 bucks with 5 kicked in for a veterans donation..happy as a clam.
I am getting ready for the winter season here in SoCal and this will compliment my long boards quite nicely. It is just a lot harder to get to Malibu or Topanga.
Happy New Year!
Ben
There's always County Line if you're willing drive a little further up the coast

Also, that sign is from the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, usually to mark a historic monument (e.g. old church). Did that come with the SUP?

Last edited by billytwosheds; 12-31-16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 02:16 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
There's always County Line if you're willing drive a little further up the coast

Also, that sign is from the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, usually to mark a historic monument (e.g. old church). Did that come with the SUP?
Aloha Billy,
How do you know about County Line?
I got that from a county worker when they were replacing signs with a newer version the several years ago..they were just trashing a lot of old stuff to make way for the next issue...this one had just came down and was not stuffed in the can yet....I wish I would have got more but no room in the suitcase.
Howzit over there?
Aloha, Ben

Old 12-31-16, 02:20 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Emma Wood reef break .

Last edited by markwesti; 12-31-16 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 02:26 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by dweenk
Looks like a great find, but I know squat about boards. Would you list the maker, model, size, and components? It looks mid-Pacific to me, and maybe having a Japanese influence. I would expect SR cranks, Dia Compe brakes, and Suntour derailleurs and shifters were speced on this - probably a plastic saddle (Avocet maybe).
dweenk,
If this is for me..Yes it is a Frankenboard....mix of Campagnolo SR and SL (good eye on your part), Suntoure Superbe Finn and Titaium rials....vintage Ideal saddle will soon replace the Avocet. Brakes will be stripped in favor of an upscale hipster fixie track fliflop set-up.
I am trying to maintain its loss of integrity.
See you on the slopes err I mean waves!
Regards, Ben

Old 12-31-16, 02:33 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Originally Posted by markwesti
Emma Woods reef break .
aka "Overhead" reef. The rollers that barely rubbed the reef on the outside would be the biggest sets once they unloaded on the sandbars at Emma Wood. Surfed with (next to?) the Malloy brothers and Dane Reynolds there when I was a teen in the late 90's.

Aloha Billy,
How do you know about County Line?
I got that from a county worker when they were replacing signs with a newer version the several years ago..they were just trashing a lot of old stuff to make way for the next issue...this one had just came down and was not stuffed in the can yet....I wish I would have got more but no room in the suitcase.
Howzit over there?
Aloha, Ben
Aloha Ben- I grew up in the Ventura County area, so north LA county spots were an option. There are plenty of great spots that break (on the right tide) in the Oxnard/Ventura area. Santa Barbara has a few as well.

Neat sign...but don't let any HVCB employees catch you with it

Cheers,

Billy
Old 12-31-16, 04:07 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Billy! Where ya been ?
Old 12-31-16, 04:12 PM
xiaoman1 

Billy! Where ya been ?
Wondering the same thing..saw a post a short while ago....maybe catching to many big ones on the N.S.
Ben

Old 12-31-16, 05:31 PM
billytwosheds 

Billy! Where ya been ?

Wondering the same thing..saw a post a short while ago....maybe catching to many big ones on the N.S.
Ben
Charge it, brah!

Waiting until spring to head to the North Shore, after the pros and cameras leave. South Shore has been flat, only venturing down there for a dip or to push visitors into Waikiki ripples. Still a blast.

Also hit up the Vans Triple Crown for the contests at Sunset and Pipeline.

Hope ya'll are looking forward to the New Year as much as I am.
Old 12-31-16, 06:26 PM
xiaoman1 

Aloha Ben- I grew up in the Ventura County area, so north LA county spots were an option. There are plenty of great spots that break (on the right tide) in the Oxnard/Ventura area. Santa Barbara has a few as well

Billy[/QUOTE]

Billy,
Hey I thought is was always Hawaiians on the leftside. I go to el porto when I am feeling like I want a BB and have my short board, Topanga's tough with a long board because you can catch'em way out and rid'em in, some folks don't like that: :
Aloha, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-31-16 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 05:31 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Better pictures when it is in my hands (and after it is built up)

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 01-01-17, 06:04 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevil63
better pictures when it is in my hands (and after it is built up)

nice!
Old 01-04-17, 01:50 PM
fury413rb

Bikes: '99 CDale Multisport 2000, '97 CDale R800 w/11spd Ultegra, '98 CDale F400, '80 Voyaguer 11.8 chrome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dad and I picked up these of CL in Chicago. Pretty sure the chrome frame is actually a Sports Tourer but it came with the other grey complete ish Superior.

Old 01-04-17, 02:33 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by fury413rb
My Dad and I picked up these of CL in Chicago. Pretty sure the chrome frame is actually a Sports Tourer but it came with the other grey complete ish Superior.

The chrome frame is beautiful, looks in great shape - only thing is that spacer on the rear dropout, are the adjusting screws rusted in / broken off? Regardless, nice score!
Old 01-04-17, 02:58 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That grey Superior sure has some handlebar funk going on! Great score on both of them. So... who gets which ?
Old 01-04-17, 04:10 PM
fury413rb

Bikes: '99 CDale Multisport 2000, '97 CDale R800 w/11spd Ultegra, '98 CDale F400, '80 Voyaguer 11.8 chrome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
That grey Superior sure has some handlebar funk going on! Great score on both of them. So... who gets which ?
Oh man does it have some bar funk... lol Check it out in the open!

So currently I am getting my Dad's old Voyaguer 11.8 chromie (that I rode all thru college) back on the road in a thread in C&V. He is pumped as a chromed Chicago brazed bike was what he wanted to order in 1980 when he worked in the bike shop but obviously they were dead by then.

So really its like him getting the bike he always wanted! By that he gets the chrome Superior/Sports Tourer bike and I just want to do a mild cleanup/refresh on the grey Superior and I'll get that one. Then we can ride chrome Schwinns together and blind everyone on the trail!

I also have a LeTour frame that I found in the garbage about five years ago. I pulled all the components and gave them to a friend working on a varsity. So I guess that counts as a garbage save too! Anytime I see a large frame I go straight for it. We are both about 6'2''-6'3''. I believe it is a 1979 LeTour IV Chicago lugged frame. That one literally was about to get picked up by a scrapper or the garbage man.

Here that one is in all its glory as well.

Grey Superior

The LeTour is behind the 11.8 on the hood of my car. Limited garage space to it makes a decent table lol

I'll snag a better pic when I get home. I recently pulled it and the 11.8 out of the attic. Cabin Fever project.
Old 01-04-17, 05:53 PM
3speedslow

Hey if you need a 21.1 stem for that superior, I think jcb3 has one looking for a home.

Great projects there, every one. Pretty terrific about you and your dad getting to go riding together.
Old 01-04-17, 06:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Hey if you need a 21.1 stem for that superior, I think jcb3 has one looking for a home.
I also have a couple, one of them a GB and another that is pretty nicely finished but I forget the brand. Incidentally, while the decimal equivalent of the size is 21.1 they are actually made and marked as .833 (inches) and are not metric-sized stems.
Old 01-04-17, 07:58 PM
bubbaman

Bikes: 80's vtg Stumpjumper, 90's vtg Trek 750 Multi Track & Trek 820 Mountain Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Late '80's (I think) Stump Jumper from a garage sale last summer. I got it for $12. It had been sitting in a garage unused for many years but was ready to ride except for needing tires/tubes. This bike has a special place in my heart because my brother, now deceased, had one just like it that he was pretty proud of back in the day. This is more of a commuter around town for me.
Old 01-04-17, 09:02 PM
fury413rb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better pictures of the LeTour I found in the garbage. I think its a 79 LeTour IV which is a Chicago made 1020 frame, correct? I am not sure on my plans what to do with it.

The rest of it I parted to my buddy working on his old Varsity. I kept the stem and the seat. I believe they are both original.

Old 01-04-17, 09:49 PM
fury413rb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I also have a couple, one of them a GB and another that is pretty nicely finished but I forget the brand. Incidentally, while the decimal equivalent of the size is 21.1 they are actually made and marked as .833 (inches) and are not metric-sized stems.

Great projects there, every one. Pretty terrific about you and your dad getting to go riding together.
Cool, thanks everyone.

So pardon my ignorance but are all old schwinns or the majority of them 21.1mm stems?
Old 01-05-17, 08:23 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

So pardon my ignorance but are all old schwinns or the majority of them 21.1mm stems?
This can confuse even the long timers. Generally, the lower-to-moderate end U.S. made bikes, from forever ago until the mid-'80s, are .833 stem bikes. The top of the line Paramounts and the imported (Japanese and Taiwanese) bikes used the 22.2. It was not until Schwinn moved U.S. production to the Greenville MS plant that they adopted the standard, but I could be wrong on this. It may take a Schwinn maniac, of which I am not one, to detail the specific models and years. When dealing with the '80s-and-earlier bikes it's best to have a caliper on you or be prepared to yank the stem to check the markings.
Old 01-05-17, 08:30 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Better pictures of the LeTour I found in the garbage.

The rest of it I parted to my buddy working on his old Varsity. I kept the stem and the seat. I believe they are both original.

You should post this photo in the current thread on the Avocet Touring seats, especially since it was a garbage find.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ii-saddle.html
Old 01-05-17, 09:14 AM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by bubbaman
Late '80's (I think) Stump Jumper from a garage sale last summer. I got it for $12. It had been sitting in a garage unused for many years but was ready to ride except for needing tires/tubes. This bike has a special place in my heart because my brother, now deceased, had one just like it that he was pretty proud of back in the day. This is more of a commuter around town for me.
Awesome bike and a great connection to the memory of your Brother. Ride with pride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.