Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Complete Reworking For Spring

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-10-21, 02:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

First ride on the Criterium Series yesterday. This 10mi Strava segment is a good breakout ride to see how the winter riding stacked up. Had the 2nd best “first ride” in 10 seasons of riding this route as a season first. Ok hooruh. What made the difference? Staying in shape on the mountain bike snow rides is always a help but not the key difference. Losing 10% body fat was huge. I’m down to 171# since January. The immediate difference was riding the 3.5mi “flat” section holding 19-22mph, numbers typically not seen until late June. God willing, this season will be interesting in terms of PRs and such, maybe doing a route I have too long put off.

The effects of weight loss on riding performance...and especially comfort...are immediately measureable.
Old 03-10-21, 07:35 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
I wish I could say I lost weight over the winter but at least I've stayed in the saddle the entire time so getting out for long rides in the spring will not be painful, thanks to Zwift and the odd short rides in a mild winter.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-11-21, 01:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I'm starting my 'season' at a lower weight 190, but the fewest Winter miles ever.
Hiking and helping babysit a toddler at times, made for a good time.

Longer days as much as the warmth, this far North, make for pleasurable riding.
Old 03-11-21, 04:09 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Wildwood

Longer days as much as the warmth, this far North, make for pleasurable riding.
DST is a great help for those in cold country. Another plus is 50deg weather and snow bare ground for trail riding. Spring is drawing near!
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-12-21, 12:22 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
171? Skinny guy!

Lucky to be in Calif. Started my Spring training a few months ago. My 40 mile ride ends with a flat section 0% according to Strava with a 7 mile segment on which I like to test myself occasionally. Couple months back I hit 22.2 average speed for the 7 miles. 22.9 5 years ago but haven't tried to top it. This was just pushing hard on the entire ride and don't know if I could top it anyway. All solo efforts.

I laugh at 171 because I am a good 60-70 pounds heavier than you and my ride buddy. But only 58 so that is like taking off a few pounds.

I've made it a point to ride more and I guess it has been showing. This was from one of my faster cycling partners. Just got this on FB on Monday.

Guess my Spring training is going good so far.

Imagine what a 10# loss of bdywt will do. Every 5# lost is a noticeable improvement especially on hills.

Check this out:
https://www.bicycling.com/training/g...g-performance/
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-12-21, 05:21 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Yeah, I have dropped 30-40 pounds prepping for timed climbing events. I got down to 220 but skin and bones. Too hard to keep it off. I didn't eat butter, salad dressing or any fats for 6 months to get to that weight. But I finished at 123 out of 400 on a 10,000 ft 100 mile ride. Pretty good considering all serious climbers and seems most those guys are 160 pounds.

My father passed away 2 years ago. Cancer, skin and bone and he was 220 pounds. I doubt I'll ever get to less than that. I met a guy from the forums, great climber. Same height, 6'1. He said he is 180 and that I should get down to 180. We met in person and he said, oh no! My shoulders and upper arms are bigger than his thighs. I'll never get below 220 which I use as competition weight. Then I look at water and gain a pound.

One of my last rides was 23 miles with 4,000+ ft of gain so I am working on trying to get the climbing legs back. And I took 6 minutes off a local 8 mile climb with 2300 ft.
I hear that. Those TdF guys are like well defined skeletons. Losing the excess, good. Going over the edge starving, not so good. Have a great season!
Likes For OldsCOOL: