Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I’m starting to understand the beauty of rear derailleurs.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I’m starting to understand the beauty of rear derailleurs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 02:59 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Nice; simple and clean, the way I like it. I would have thought a long cage kind of defeats the purpose.
It is cool to see the XC- and realize how Suntour modified and built on that design- really using it for the basis of all the following Superbe Pro, Cyclone and numbered XC variants that followed... It's interesting about where Suntour was attempting to go around this time-

The triple pulley cage is incredible- it takes up stunning amounts of chain- my pic above just has the Bullseye on the outer pulley for bling- that pulley is rarely in use and a sealed bearing unit would be overkill there- but IIRC it's a 9T pulley to avoid it being engaged and catching on anything as the chain gets tighter. The drawback is that it's 2 big heavy plates. FWIW- the triple pulley initiative was a joint venture with Nishiki- I think those were all branded LePree- all the other ones XC, Cyclone MII, XC Sport came in 85/85 after the 1 year exclusivity for Nishiki. But in that time SIS cleaned house. Shimano invented indexed shifting while Suntour was trying to figure out how to go over rocks.

There were the ultra long cage derailleurs- The LeTech and the 2nd gen Mountech... I would have imagined the Suntour engineers realized that the 15t pulley did a majority of the work without having to have that huge long cage swing around- way too easy to get bent.

There's the triple pivot- Suntour trying to reverse engineer the Duopar and all the bad things that go along with it- and then adding in the exploding captive pulley on the 1st gen Mountech, then there's the LeTech that not only had the triple pivot, but also had a cage that was longer than most people's forearms.

XC was the top level and XC Sport was the level down from there- Suntour knew indexing was either there or around the corner- but the XC Sport got the barrel adjuster- and XC was just straight in. I guess that was to save weight, and they probably didn't have any research into indexing and cable pull and all that...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-04-22 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-04-22, 03:12 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Derailleurs are pretty much my reason for being. And one I really like is the venerable Huret Allvit. Underrated, because they are associated with the low end bikes they appeared on later in life, they were the thing to have on your expensive hand-made touring machine in the early sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzn_PggoqcM
That's one highly modified Huret Alvit!

My vague recollection, from the 1960s when I rode a bike with the Alvit, was that frequent applications of oil kept it running well enough; as opposed to the plastic Simplex derailleurs which seemed to work just as well, at least for 14-year-old me, without the frequent lubrication.

Given the careless nature of many 14-year-old boys My Huret may have only needed frequent lubrication because of deformation caused by negligence.

Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 08-04-22 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-04-22, 05:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Damn. I only spent $150 a couple months ago on the Dura Ace derailleur in the photo I posted above. Be patient, one for a good price will pop up when you least expect it!
Nah, the husbeast picked up some low-normal RDs in the day and I want to try one.
Old 08-04-22, 06:34 PM
supernova9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slant Parallelogram

Slant Parallelogram changed the universe
Old 08-04-22, 07:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by supernova9
Slant Parallelogram changed the universe
No. 1 was asleep, resting on laurels and cushy pillows.

No. 2 realized what No. 3 was about to lose when a certain patent expired.

No. 2 took advantage, created SIS, knocked No. 1 on their arse, and became No. 1 themselves.
Old 08-05-22, 11:17 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
That's one highly modified Huret Alvit!
It is. I love how Mr Hirose went about building his bikes.
However, that wasn't the main reason I posted that footage. I think the Allvit is the coolest derailleur to be listening to and especially to be looking at when it shifts.

Mrs non-fixie has one on her Mercier. For her that bike was the start of her love affair with down tube shifters. For me, it's the bike I always like to ride behind, just to see and hear that Allvit do its thing.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-20-22, 06:18 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by d_dutchison
I'll join the club, 1st. gen. Campag Rally

I sent a PM - back after a somewhat long hiatus so hopefully you will get in touch!
Old 08-20-22, 06:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by d_dutchison
I'll join the club, 1st. gen. Campag Rally

Also gorgeous but a big disappointment. I toured for three months with one of these. It did the job, but it didn't make shifting as easy as it could have been. Then I installed it on my kid's bike, and it got broken, and apparently it wasn't anyone's fault. There is a weak spot in the knuckle, and it snaps off. I was really disappointed to see such a thing of beauty broken, and the prices on ebay for replacements are, uh, not justified. Ah well.

I really like the writing on the disraeligears site. And the pictures are great; there are many derailleurs that make me say, "That's the prettiest."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-23-22, 06:26 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if you get a chance, you should try to get this and read it.

grabbed it from the library. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks to be interesting.