Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My cracked Spec Roubaix bike frame - the resolution

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My cracked Spec Roubaix bike frame - the resolution

Old 09-29-22, 05:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
There is no way this could have happened without the OP noticing it at the time, if he was on the bike.

Either it happened when he was not on the bike, or there is much more to the story.
it could have easily happened without the OP noticing. ( see the missing Cervelo seat stay above.)

I’ve hit tons of sticks and never thought anything of them. OP could have easily hit some debris, thought nothing of it, and not noticed the crack for sometime. You could ride that bike for a long time in the condition pictured without feeling anything wrong.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-29-22, 07:10 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Canyon honored their warranty, twice. In fact, they replaced the new chain stay under their recall, so I guess they honored it 3 times, once without us even asking.
Good for them; glad to hear that.

However...a company that had to honor their warranty 3 times would make me question their quality control.
Old 09-29-22, 09:36 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, people can be pretty friggin' oblivious.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-29-22, 03:24 PM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Oh, people can be pretty friggin' oblivious.
Gee, thanks.

I think I'd have noticed if I hit a branch hard enough to break a carbon fiber frame. I'd guess that would have taken out a few spokes, too, but apparently not.

But, as I'm learning in this thread, so many Internet experts who weren't there and haven't seen the bike (or seen me, or talked to the LBS managers) have better knowledge of what must have happened.

--The OP
Likes For KiwiDallas:
Old 09-29-22, 03:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiDallas
But, as I'm learning in this thread, so many Internet experts who weren't there and haven't seen the bike (or seen me, or talked to the LBS managers) have better knowledge of what must have happened.
Uh, you *were* there and you still don't know how it happened, so what does that tell us?

But yeah, when given the choice between a) spontaneous failure in *that* mode and in *that* location vs b) a rider that hit something and didn't think anything of it... yeah, Occam's hitting the "Easy" button on that one.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-29-22, 05:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Gee, thanks.

I think I'd have noticed if I hit a branch hard enough to break a carbon fiber frame. I'd guess that would have taken out a few spokes, too, but apparently not.

--The OP
You don’t believe the experts at Specialized, either - and they built the bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-29-22, 05:39 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Glad you got that sorted!

I know the chain (the largest in DFW right?) and they are a good business. Good that they kept on it.

Bike Mart ?
Old 09-29-22, 09:21 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Gee, thanks.

--The OP
You see certain things often enough you don't need to see the bike in person nor talk to a random bike shop manager, I don't care how 'experienced' he is.
Old 09-29-22, 10:37 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Manufacturers are able to make such thin seat stays because they're not doing a lot of the heavy lifting. See Steven Kruijswijk's Cervelo: he crashed and then finished a TdF stage without noticing that he'd completely lost one of his seatstays -

Just riding around isn't going to stress that area enough to cause that kind of damage. An impact, like from a branch swept in to the wheel, is more likely to cause the type of damage seen on your 'stays. Knowing this explains why Spec "dragged their feet."
For gods sake delete that photo demonstrating that one of the seat stays is just there to make the UCI happy, before the weight weenies see it and break out their hacksaws.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-29-22, 10:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
it could have easily happened without the OP noticing. ( see the missing Cervelo seat stay above.
The rider most likely noticed he crashed. When eventually he discovered the missing seat stay, I doubt there was any ambiguity in his mind regarding what had happened, and when.

The truth is none of us, including the OP, know what happened in this case. We can make guesses, like the family dog jumped on the bike while it was on its side in the SUV. But it is pure speculation.

The main point is that Specialized (for all their sins) reasonably assumed that the stay didn't simply crack while just riding along. It may have, but if so, it is clearly a total fluke.
Old 09-30-22, 05:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
The main takeaway here is that lightweight carbon frames do have some pretty delicate parts (especially pencil-thin compliant seat-stays) and you have to be ultra-careful about transportation, storage etc and you have to be extremely careful when using bike carriers. For example there was a picture of a pro racer's bike that "spontaneously" snapped halfway down the seat-tube while JRA. After several pages of speculation, someone simply posted a picture of their team car with half a dozen of those bikes on the roof. Guess were they were clamped to the bike carrier?