Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike repair stand

Old 06-22-22, 09:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
there is a saying ...

buy a good tool - and cry once when you pay for it and then smile every time you use it

- or -

buy a cheap tool - and smile when you buy it and then cry every time you use it

YAWN! That just isn't true all the time. I know of a couple of full-time mechanics and they get their tools from Harbor Freight, they buy the top of the line model which I can't recall, and they don't have any more issues than the guys that are up to their eyeballs in debt to SnapOn. Auto mechanics is a lot more demanding of tools than bike mechanics are, so you're wasting money to buy SnapOn quality for a bike, unless of course you don't mind wasting money, or you are professional bike mechanic.
Old 06-22-22, 09:36 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by whipnet
Yes the Made in USA Craftsman are great tools. I am a huge fan of the professional and industrial screwdrivers. Here's all of them. (Took me over 2 years to acquire all of them on eBay.)

yepper - that's them

the professional orange handle models are also high quality (and possibly more of a challenge to obtain)
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-22-22, 09:46 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
YAWN! That just isn't true all the time. I know of a couple of full-time mechanics and they get their tools from Harbor Freight, they buy the top of the line model which I can't recall, and they don't have any more issues than the guys that are up to their eyeballs in debt to SnapOn. Auto mechanics is a lot more demanding of tools than bike mechanics are, so you're wasting money to buy SnapOn quality for a bike, unless of course you don't mind wasting money, or you are professional bike mechanic.
not a big fan of harbor freight - but their large tool boxes look good

I have a limited number of snap on tools ; I don't make a living with tools so the investment is not warranted (used snap on tools are still expensive at flea markets and garage sales)
Old 06-23-22, 12:05 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Spoken as someone who has never used Snap On tools….or maybe good tools in general.
Humor alert!
Old 06-23-22, 12:07 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
What hasn't been discussed here is the Snap On Tools pin up girls. Maybe Park Tool needs some pin-up girls!!!

The Park tool calendar girl would look something like this

Old 06-23-22, 09:33 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Craftsman since was sold off by Sears, is making a comeback, for a long while they were junk as Sears tried to make the product cheaper to make more profit.

However, tools found in home improvement places, I would have to say that Dewalt makes the best now, problem with Dewalt is customer service, but, if you take the hand tool back to the home improvement place, they will exchange it no questions asked.

Another company that is making a comeback, is Stanley, for a long time Stanley had junk stuff, and you can still get the junk stuff at Walmart, but if you into a home improvement place you will get the higher quality tools. Some reports are that Stanley is better than DeWalt or Craftsman.

I don't own any of those hand tools I mentioned, I bought my stuff as needed, and then stuck with Challenger, Proto, and SK because they were cheaper than SnapOn and the sort, and better than Craftsman and others like them. SK went bankrupt and some other company took them over, so I'm not sure how good or how bad they are now; but they used to be the most popular tool used worldwide by mechanics. I think Proto bought out Challenger since they're known as Challenger by Proto, and Proto is owned by Stanley, but Proto is now the professional end of Stanley while Stanley is the mid-level brand, this was done because Proto had the reputation of being a professional tool maker, and a lot of mechanics used Proto worldwide.

Keep in mind that tools you find at home improvement places are considered entry to midlevel tools, which if fine for wrenching on a bike, in fact I would say entry level tools would be fine for wrenching on a bike as long as they have a lifetime warranty against anything, and a local home improvement place sells it. That is why a lot of new pro mechanics are turning to Harbor Freight and getting Quinn tools, Harbor Freight asks no questions, and need no receipt when you bring one in for replacement. When a new pro is looking at spending around $30,000 for tools from Snap On and the like, plus adding to the collection every year, and falling deeper and deeper into debt with Snap-On, Matco, and the likes, it doesn't take a genius to figure out ways to circumvent that growing expense. Plus, Snap On in particular, not sure about Matco but I wouldn't doubt it, but at least Snap On is the mafia of mechanic tools. One of my mechanic friends had been using Harbor Freight tools since he got into the business about 15 years ago, he won't touch a Snap On tool unless Snap On is the only company that sells a particular tool and that tool can't be found anywhere else for less; and he's not in debt unlike others that work around him, he too bought a Harbor Freight tool chest years ago and loves it. He claims he hasn't had much issue with broken tools, but sometimes they do, he just goes down to Harbor Freight that same day and they replace it with no problem, and he doesn't have to wait for the Snap On truck to make its rounds.
Old 06-23-22, 11:03 AM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
Speaking of Stanley, they used to make some great Made in USA tools. One of my favorites from the 1930's-40's is the Yankee screwdriver. Originally made by North Bros out of Philly and Stanley acquired them in the 40's.
Here are a few North Bros and Stanley Yankee screwdrivers. They all work perfectly.

Likes For whipnet:
Old 06-23-22, 01:12 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I need to repair my bike repair stand.

Does anyone know where I can get a good bike repair stand repair stand?

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-23-22, 02:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I need to repair my bike repair stand.

Does anyone know where I can get a good bike repair stand repair stand?

-mr. bill
Park. It’ll hold another stand easily.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-23-22, 03:10 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That was going to be my comment as well. 👍
Old 06-23-22, 03:29 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Originally Posted by whipnet
That was going to be my comment as well. 👍

-mr. bill
Old 06-23-22, 04:32 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I got my stand from Aldi when they had it. Pretty sure this is the same one. https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Adj...s%2C198&sr=8-3

Before that I had a trainer I put the bike in for repairs. Worked great unless the repair required removing the rear wheel.
Old 06-24-22, 01:05 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Are Snap-on tools less likely to be put down and "lost" for 5-10 minutes?
At work I lose tools more often (by far) than I break them or wear them out. And the tools that do wear out and are expensive to replace (power tools) aren’t covered by the warranty anyway.

I like our Snap-On guy, but I definitely tease him. “So if I spend $1,000 on $500 worth of tools you’ll throw in a $10 hat or $5 pair of socks?”
Old 10-02-22, 08:05 PM
strichzwei

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
what is the advantage of the park micro clamp over the linkage clamp?
Old 10-02-22, 08:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by strichzwei
what is the advantage of the park micro clamp over the linkage clamp?
None. The micro clamp is a pain to use. You pretty much have to unscrew it to unclamp it and you have to clamp it, hold the bike, then screw in the handle. It’s fiddly The linkage clamp is much easier to use. Close the arm and the bike is clamped.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-03-22, 05:52 AM
sbuckaroo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This is what I bought a couple of months ago. So far it performes well.

Originally Posted by prj71
I think that's true of most stands.

I've been seeing some good reviews on this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Bikehand-Mech...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Old 10-03-22, 09:45 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I have work stands at home and also in the Lower 48 in our RV. The one at home is a Feedback and it works well. I found a NOS Ultimate when looking for a stand for the RV. Apparently Ultimate’s main business was/is making music stands and they spun the work stand off to Feedback. The Ultimate is even more sturdy that the Feedback. I wish their locations were reversed.

Park products are great. Ultimate/Feedback is just another good option. Happy wrenching.

Mike
Old 10-07-22, 03:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have been using the Topeak stand . I bought it several weeks ago when Bike Tires Direct had them on sale. I had been using an old Spin Doctor stand and it had a fixed height so working on bottom bracket issues was not fun. I still use the old stand at my shop in Ventura. The new Topeak is very similar to the Feedback and about the same price. It is very sturdy for just about anything I need to do. It is unique in that it has a little small parts storage container on top for things like cable ferrules or spoke ends. I also have the Feedback handle bar flop stop that is awesome , I just bought another one ( on sale at BTD) for the stand in Ventura.
Old 10-07-22, 11:28 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
I've had one of these for several years now and have zero complaints. Really well made, durable, portable, tall enough for the land of the giants, and IMO a bargain and a half. I'm sure you can pay 2-3 times the price and not get anything any better.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Mec...A3AN9QJNQ0FYAY
Old 06-25-23, 07:08 PM
strichzwei

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yep thanks for all the feedback, I found a vintage park tool stand that works great, I was hoping to find something not made in China, dont want to keep feeding the dragon!
S
Likes For strichzwei:
Old 06-25-23, 07:47 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
I have 2 of the Aldi's bike repair stands that I bought several years ago. One for $30 the second one was $8 . No more than I use a bike repair stand they serve the purpose. Plus I have used them as a third hand around the house a few times too
​​