Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much should you spend on an older bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 06:16 AM
Flintshooter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At what point do you stop spending money on restoration?
I have a 84 Fuji Sundance that has seen little to no maintenance beyond oiling the chain, and tire changes. It doesn't have anywhere near the miles my Trek does, but I suspect a complete overhaul may involve replacing several components. Even if everything else was perfect, I want to add a team pro saddle that will set me back at least $130. The bike was $425 new. There are no direct new bike comparisons, but the closest would be over $600. A new bike would be getting the Brooks saddle.
I can do a lot of things, but I’m not a bike mechanic. Beyond the most simple of things, I will be paying for any work done. At what point do you leave an old bike as it is instead of investing in keeping it as close to new as possible?
Old 12-20-16, 06:38 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
It's like The Never Ending Story. It's never ending. Addiction 101. Hunter gatherer etc.
Old 12-20-16, 06:44 AM
cloozoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The short answer is every dollar you put into your bike will return give or take fifty cents if you go to sell it. That's if you do your own work and get a decent buy on the parts. If you pay bust out retail for parts and pay someone to do the work, it gets (much) worse from there. In other words, it's worthwhile if it allows you to get the bike just the way you want it, you intend to keep it, and the result is something that's worth the investment to you. It won't be to anyone else.
Old 12-20-16, 06:56 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
It really pays to learn to do the work yourself. Otherwise this hobby could become a real drain.
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's both less expensive and greener to maintain/upgrade your old steel bike than it is to import a new China cookie cutter.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-20-16 at 09:56 AM.
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
My thoughts, unless you are looking at making a profit from flipping the bike, the maximum to spend is going to be up to your ability to pay for what you hope to accomplish with doing a restoration. What will the particular bicycle mean to you, and what does it need done to it, for your riding interests?

You and others might well have a different viewpoint, our varied desires and goals are what makes us each a human being. My line is not paying out money that should be going towards our family expenses and our savings for retirement. Now that the retirement phase is almost here it will be staying within a fixed income and not frittering away our amassed savings. I don't shoot for a museum level restoration with the single C&V bike I have, it should be safe, well maintained and as presentable as possible, but not anywhere near being a wall hanger or art. YMMV,

The reply about doing your own work hits home for me, except for a few things, like facing a bottom bracket shell or head tube, or tensioning and fine truing a wheel set, I try to do my own work. Actually, having the correct tool, and being able to afford to own one of the higher end things like a quality truing stand or a facing tool, is my limiting factor here. The ability to do the work yourself really stretches your spending ability and what you are able to afford.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-20-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 06:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
https://www.classicfuji.com/1984_21_S...anceL_Page.htm

It depends a bit on the bike, and your goals.

Vintage MTBs are an odd niche in bikes... some people get excited about them, but they are often ignored.

There are often good deals to be found on $1000+ vintage MTBs.

As far as investments... there are some things that make a good rider... Tires, tubes, wheels, etc. Whatever it takes to keep it on the road and functional. Maybe a seat falls into that category too.

Then... do you wish to make it better than original? Different bars & stem? But, then again, whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-20-16, 07:01 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Take heart. Ten years ago, many of the mechanical skills were new to me, but fortunately, about 80% of the maintenance tasks are relatively easy to learn and can be completed using tools that collectively cost less than $150.00.

Back to the original question - I find that what I'm willing to spend varies quite a bit from bicycle to bicycle. I recognized several years ago that there are people who make this a self-financing hobby (which takes a lot of time and energy), and there are people who do not have that talent/inclination. I am at peace with the realization that I am one of the nots.
Old 12-20-16, 07:05 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
With a Sundance, I wouldn't put more than $50 into it. Its a midrange, rigid frame MTB. IMHO, the first step in refurbishing a vintage MTB is finding an upper end model. Often, those are available for a few dollars more than the lower end ones. $25 more can get you a bike that originally sold for $600 MORE. Better frame, better wheels, better parts, better everything.

A complete overhaul, done by others, will cost more than $200. Then as you note, there probably will be some parts replaced, so add more to that figure.Mechanics that charge $75 an hour cannot spend the time to refurbish parts that can be quickly swapped out. You will not get 50 cents back on this cost, more like 5 cents. As far as the saddle, no problem as that transfers from bike to bike.

Older MTBs are best suited for people that have the time/tools/aptitude/space/pile of parts, that can and will do all the refurbishment work themselves. Otherwise, financially they just don't work out.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-20-16 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 07:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
You might want to visit a local bike shop or two and test ride a few new bikes. Maybe you'll still prefer your Fuji, in which case you'll be confident that putting the money into restoration is fully justified; maybe not. Either way, you'll have some useful data.
Old 12-20-16, 07:56 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
+1 to wrk101's advice.

A Brooks can be moved from bike to bike within 15 minutes, so not an issue.

Parts
Replacing cables and housing as little as $9.00, but you can spend $30 too.
Bearings, about $15 or so.
Tires, $20 and up per pair.
Bar Tape, $7 and up.

You'll need some tools and a tube of grease.

Do the work yourself if you are mechanically inclined or spend $135-$200 at an LBS for labor.
Old 12-20-16, 08:23 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
If you love it and ride that's different. You get your money back in joy.

Pure dollars and common sense; wrk101 is right on, and oddjob2 gives some of the best valuations I have seen on here.

Do an estimate of everything you want, cut out what you don't need that is above the level of the bike.
Old 12-20-16, 08:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Buy enough of them and you will have a significant parts inventory.

As to what to spend on any particular bike, decide at the onset what is your objective.

I bought one last night, a sistership of my original ten speed, serial number about 11 away even. "Tweeker" handlebars, cheap sprung saddle, original owner sold off the alloy railed Ideale saddle for more than I bought the bike for. That I won't return to original. Might keep the previously exchanged rims, correct brand but now clinchers, "upgraded" brake blocks... Those may stay too, original Mathauser finned units, needs toe clips, straps, fasteners, complete repack, new cables and housing. The parts bin will provide much as I have been at this for a long time. For other projects I have bought strategically at the bike co-op. the $30 annual membership has paid for itself time and again.
I will end up with a near clone of my first road bike post Sting-Rays. Will see if I feel like a 12 year old again when I ride it.
That could be priceless.
Old 12-20-16, 08:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
It's really a question without an answer...it depends on you, your finances and what you want to do with the bike. Also, convenience vs. pricing questions.

Wrk is absolutely right that from a perspective of what the bike buys/sells for, it isn't worth putting much into.
Old 12-20-16, 09:11 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Learn to overhaul or repair an old bike. Sometimes you can find them at yard sales or in the local dump. There are plenty of resources online as well as books and courses offered by cyclists' groups. You can start with Sheldon Brown's postings or the mechanic's forum.

Some bike shops probably won't repair an older bike because the kids aren't familiar with them or they don't have a supply of spare parts, or they'd rather sell you a new bike.

If you don't want to repair it, there are a lot of posters here who would take it off your hands. What size is it?
Old 12-20-16, 09:17 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I agree with Bill in that the first thing is to find a "worthy" bike.

I understand some people needing to have an anonymous bike they're not tied to for theft reasons. I'm in the situation where I don't often lock my bikes up outside for long periods of time. When I ride to work, I have a storeroom to stash my bike. I'm rarely at the gas station or grocery store or restaurants (out of sight) very long and never in a sketchy area. So I don't have a problem with having a nice bike.

I'll spend whatever it's worth to me if I have a frame that is nice and I like it and want to hang onto for a long period of time.

I've put the approximate value of a nice car into my Trek 720, slightly less into my Trek 400 Elance and slightly less on my Trek 620. Where the 720 and 620 were top end bikes, the 400 was a 2nd from Trek's entry level. But it's a really nice bike with a 531 frame and CrMo fork and stays- and it's beautiful to boot!

Only you can make the determination if it's worth it to you. There's people here that have put a thousand dollars into a Continental. I think that's not so smart, but it could be worth it to someone... just to prove a point.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-20-16, 09:41 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
It really pays to learn to do the work yourself. Otherwise this hobby could become a real drain.
I agree with this competely. Vintage bikes are actually pretty easy to work on if you're mechanically inclined - which it sounds like you are, OP. Much easier to work on than modern bikes with all their prorietary sizes and parts. I bought most of my tools used and spent around a $100 for them That's the cost of just a few minor adjustments at a shop these days.

And similar to your Fuji, I have an '83 Univega Sportour that prolly sold for about what yours did when new, OP. I built it from a bare frame. But even so I kept my spending to a minimum, buying used parts and going with whatever I could find. It's a nice bike, and I prolly put 200 miles a week on it. I'm very fond of it in fact.
But.. I'm not about to sink a ton of money into it, either. Realistically I couldn't sell it for more than $100, so no way I'd want to put 3-$400 into it - the bike simply isnt worth it. As it is I have about $100 into it, and if I hadnt done my own work I could imagine I would have 4-$500 into it, which would've been crazy when for that much money I could've bought a better bike, and w/o all the work too.

Last edited by exmechanic89; 12-20-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:54 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I agree with Bill in that the first thing is to find a "worthy" bike.

I understand some people needing to have an anonymous bike they're not tied to for theft reasons. I'm in the situation where I don't often lock my bikes up outside for long periods of time. When I ride to work, I have a storeroom to stash my bike. I'm rarely at the gas station or grocery store or restaurants (out of sight) very long and never in a sketchy area. So I don't have a problem with having a nice bike.

I'll spend whatever it's worth to me if I have a frame that is nice and I like it and want to hang onto for a long period of time.

I've put the approximate value of a nice car into my Trek 720, slightly less into my Trek 400 Elance and slightly less on my Trek 620. Where the 720 and 620 were top end bikes, the 400 was a 2nd from Trek's entry level. But it's a really nice bike with a 531 frame and CrMo fork and stays- and it's beautiful to boot!

Only you can make the determination if it's worth it to you. There's people here that have put a thousand dollars into a Continental. I think that's not so smart, but it could be worth it to someone... just to prove a point.
Even then...there are solutions.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 12-20-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:55 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
With the internet resources, if you're at all mechanically inclined and with smart tool shopping, you can do just about all of it.
Repair Help Articles | Park Tool
What you can't do, take to your LBS, because they have better tools than we can justify.
Old 12-20-16, 09:56 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Flintshooter
At what point do you stop spending money on restoration?
I have a 84 Fuji Sundance that has seen little to no maintenance beyond oiling the chain, and tire changes. It doesn't have anywhere near the miles my Trek does, but I suspect a complete overhaul may involve replacing several components. Even if everything else was perfect, I want to add a team pro saddle that will set me back at least $130. The bike was $425 new. There are no direct new bike comparisons, but the closest would be over $600. A new bike would be getting the Brooks saddle.
I can do a lot of things, but I’m not a bike mechanic. Beyond the most simple of things, I will be paying for any work done. At what point do you leave an old bike as it is instead of investing in keeping it as close to new as possible?
If fond of the Sundance, essentially you're already ahead vs. buying new. Why restore when it seems only a full maintenance is needed -something that every bike eventually needs, whether bought new or used. Also, its common that most change out a stock saddle so get that Brooks and be comfy. Save the original saddle.

Assume you spend $150 at a bike shop for the tune-up and perhaps a few consumables and another $130 for the saddle, its still less than half buying whatever new you quoted.
Old 12-20-16, 09:57 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I asked a similar question on another thread. I think the only easy part of the answer is: you won't get that value back in money. A bit like cars, 50% of the value is lost just rolling it out the driveway. So the question is, in exchange for that 50% "loss", will you have gotten at least as much enjoyment out of it?

If you bought it for $400 and can sell it for $200, did you get $200 of enjoyment out of it? If yes, then the bike has already paid for itself.

If you spend another $300 on it, will you get at least another $150 of enjoyment?

How do you figure out how much enjoyment you got out of the bike? One way is $$/fun times. Suppose you ride 4hours/week, every week of spring, summer, and autumn for one year. That's approx. 3x3x4x4=144 hours. $200/144 = $1.39/hr. That's the price paid for your enjoyment that year.

Cost goes down the more you ride. It goes up as you add in maintenance costs and upgrades. (EDIT: The only real way to lose on an upgrade is to not ride/enjoy it.)

Last edited by athrowawaynic; 12-20-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 11:09 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Before spending anything, do some estimating on how much it will cost. This is not all that hard to do, if you do some research and be realistic when considering price of the bike as found, price of components needed and price or work to be done(we all can't do everything all of the time). If that total projected dollar seems OK, add 50% and that is about what you will end up spending. Next...

Research what you have, once the projected build in estimated, and, again, be realstic(forget about what someone somewhere wants for something - always go with what it actually sold for.

That should give you a benchmark to work with. Or...

Just ask your significant other to suggest how much to spend!-(
Old 12-20-16, 11:48 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
You'll never recover bike repair costs. A robot just made ten more new bikes in the time it took to write this sentence. The only people making money in this game are the manufacturers & retailers. And, I'm not so sure they're really clearing that much. Relax. Buy some tools. Take a whack at trying DIY repair. Break some stuff. It doesn't matter. You'll be better off in the long run if you learn how to take care of your own bike. (And, not feeding the landfill with more stuff). Happy Holidays. Be good. Have fun.
Old 12-20-16, 12:15 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Well paying someone else to work on a bike for me would change how much I would want to buy a bike for. Screw that. Half the enjoyment of getting a vintage bike is bringing it back to life myself.
Old 12-20-16, 12:46 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by lazyass
well paying someone else to work on a bike for me would change how much i would want to buy a bike for. Screw that. Half the enjoyment of getting a vintage bike is bringing it back to life myself.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.