Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Garlatti completely original

Old 01-12-21, 06:37 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Garlatti completely original

Can't post photo as I'm still a newbie but this bike is beautiful....what do you folks think. White with blue highlights all Campy
Old 01-13-21, 03:46 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@brixxton - post pics in your gallery in your profile. Other can post here.
Old 01-14-21, 12:51 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Here's a link to OP's Album, though I'm not able to find an example in it matching the description.
Old 01-14-21, 11:43 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

This is what I am wondering about. It seems completely original and I'm not going to do anything but clean it

I love the chrome

And the old campagnolo set, is it a diamond in the rough ..oh and what's an OP?
Old 01-15-21, 02:52 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
The Garlatti is a cool looking bike, but it is at the lower end of quality spectrum (typical Garlatti). It may still be a really fun bike though, just not super valuable. $50 would not be a low ball offer. The white/blue color scheme reminds me of a Raleigh Grand Sports.
Old 01-15-21, 08:04 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
As I understand it, "OP" is the Bike Forums acronym for Original Post. I could be wrong.

As for your bike, it is entry level or close to it, however; it is the exact sort of bike that I like to restore these days. At the moment, I am completing the paint/art for this sixties something Torpado. My Torpado and your Garletti are very similar in vintage and quality level (the OP's Garletti is more desirable in my opinion and, were it my size, I would not hesitate to pay a couple of hundred dollars CND).

If it is any help, I recently got this old Torpado, a gift from a friend). My intention is to keep it as original as I can, group set wise, but made the decision to paint the bike and add correct art. Anyway, "as found" for free...

So far, without the cost of tires, the bike has set me back close to $150.00 CND, to get it looking like this (that includes the cost of the art)...

My best guess is that, with tires, new brake blocks and cables, the end cost will be around $250.00 CND for me. I should add that I do all of my own work, which keeps my build (and maintenance) cost down a lot. And, if the OP's bike is all polished chrome, under that paint, he or she just might decide to go all chrome like I did on my last Torpado...

Well, not quite all chrome. Some contrast adds to the visual quality, in my opinion...
Old 01-15-21, 12:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Interesting the proclamation on "full Campy" the derailleurs and shift levers are... but at the neat bottom end.
Chain is probably too long. (I hope so anyway)
Has Campagnolo second tier rear dropouts, could be worse.
Should ride reasonably well.
I would transform it into a wider tire "all road" bike. move to 700c wheels. go to a compact double up front.
Old 01-15-21, 02:01 PM
brixxton
resykler

Cheers much

I'd been looking at a lot of different blogs/forums and am very glad I decided to hook up with you folks . I value everybody's opinion
That said the Torpedo looks fantastic
My Garlatti obviously needs sorting mechanically and under the paint is chrome that revives with a tin foil rub
As has been said it's mine to do with as I want. Cost me $20 and it was a horrible mess. The charm of the old Campagnolo front derailleur got me.
The jury is out
Old 01-16-21, 11:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Do not attempt to “toe-in” the brakes by bending the caliper arms- they will fracture.

I think a decent project
evaporust the rusted bits like the shift lever clamp-
those may be Campagnolo shift cables- the tell is a C in a diamond on the lead end.
Old 01-19-21, 03:05 PM
Frankgoose98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nice
Old 01-19-21, 06:48 PM
peashooter

Bikes: Roold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like a good project bike, just needs a little TLC.
Old 01-20-21, 01:47 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Neat bike
Old 02-28-21, 11:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

hello brixxton & congratulations on your find

this example hails from the 1972-73 time

we had a distributor in California who purchased one batch of these at this time and then the Garlatti marque disappeared from our shores yet once again

have never known who it was; may have been someone such as Merry Sales Co. of your town or Euro-Asia, then in Carpinteria

we had had a decade long drought on the marque prior to this; the previous batch, again a one-time thing, was ~1963; here is an example -

had two from this batch come through me workshop; one interesting feature of them is that they came through with the not often encountered Campag Sportman hubs

---

frame -

constructed with Agrati lug pattern "ROMA" nr. 000.8020/U

upper head lug is item nr. 000.8024

lower head lug is item nr. 000.8023

seat lug is item nr. 023.8059

bottom bracket shell is item nr. 005.8057

fork ends are item nr. 000.8010

back in post nr. 7 it was mentioned that dropouts are "Campagnolo second tier" - they are not. they are Agrati. the difference between the Campag Sport ends set and this model of Agrati is that the Campag is marked with the Campag name and the Agrati is unmarked.

---

fittings -

headset is Agrati item nr. 000.4001

bottom bracket set is Agrati item nr. 113.3021

chainset is Agrati

pedals are Sheffield (Noli-Cattaneo) model Corsa Nr. 655

brakeset is Universal model Sport (not model 61)

stem & bar set is 3TTT Tourist

hubs Gnutti large flange one-piece alloy 36 hole

rims Maccari steel 36 hole 27"

gear ensemble Campag Valentino

drive chain and gear block Regina

---

usage tip -

one feature of these frames is a quite low bottom bracket shell

this design gives the bicycle what is called a nice "roll" - nothing to do with friction

the downside is that one cannot pedal through hard cornering without risking a pedal strike

likewise the design is not the ideal for "gravel grinding" or "cow trailing"

---

accessory -

the cycle's REG (Rampinelli) water bottle holder nr. 164 is of value; even in this poor condition

---

hope that you enjoy lots of good fun with the machine!

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-01-21, 08:07 PM
James1964 

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
That's a nice bike that will clean up well and ride nicely. My first road bike was a similarly equipped Bianchi Rekord '72; the main differences include a Nervar cotter crankset and stamped steel rear drop outs that required a derailleur hanger. In 1979 I road it for 3 weeks throughout France and Switzerland, including over the cols du Telegraphe, Iseran, Galibier, Lauteret, etc.
Old 03-16-21, 12:15 AM
brixxton
resykler

Time to stop and test the water

Think I have come to the end of the Garlatti

project for know. Well I'm getting blue bar tape tomorrow so after wrapping and a last touch up on the chrome. So now what to do. I am thinking of putting it up for sale. Where do you folks think would be a good outlet and I am pretty sure what I'm going to ask for it, but I want to know your thoughts

Last edited by brixxton; 03-16-21 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 03-16-21, 08:43 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
brixxton if you need replacement mechs that are in minty-fresh shape at a cheap price which you could possibly re-coup the cost of in your sale, I've had these hanging around a bit. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...py-brooks.html -- Sales forum has been super active lately so they keep getting buried and I'm just not willing to bump constantly.

As for a fair price, as-is, while it's cool and all, there's a lot of work. I'd have a hard time paying more than $150 for it. But maybe the right buyer would be willing to go up to $250?

Old 03-16-21, 01:50 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Level the saddle and lower the quill stem. $200 for the right buyer.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-17-21, 04:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
ALSO: swap the front brake pad cartridges. You have the opening facing forward. This forces the pad out from the cartridge when braking. The opening should face rearward.
Old 03-17-21, 06:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd sell the water bottle cage separately from the bike. For the bike, I don't see this as a $200 bike. It has low end parts, a steel cottered crank, steel rims, etc. Yeah it's old and cool but quality low end bike boom bikes with steel wheels and a steel cottered crank are available for $50 plus with a bit of shopping. Those are usually French and this is Italian but the campy derailleurs on this bike are nothing special. I'd value this at $100.

If you collect old bikes, why would you pay real money for this bike as opposed to getting a quality bike? At $200, I've picked up vintage bikes with Reynolds 531 (or equivalent quality) frames.

If you're not a collector, why would you pay $200 for this bike when you can get a quality bike that actually works right for that price?

Last edited by bikemig; 03-17-21 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 05:08 PM
brixxton
resykler

Dollars and Sense

Originally Posted by bikemig
I'd sell the water bottle cage separately from the bike. For the bike, I don't see this as a $200 bike. It has low end parts, a steel cottered crank, steel rims, etc. Yeah it's old and cool but quality low end bike boom bikes with steel wheels and a steel cottered crank are available for $50 plus with a bit of shopping. Those are usually French and this is Italian but the campy derailleurs on this bike are nothing special. I'd value this at $100.

If you collect old bikes, why would you pay real money for this bike as opposed to getting a quality bike? At $200, I've picked up vintage bikes with Reynolds 531 (or equivalent quality) frames.

If you're not a collector, why would you pay $200 for this bike when you can get a quality bike that actually works right for that price?
I thank you all, but check this out!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177859

my head hurts. Think might just hold onto it
Old 03-17-21, 06:14 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by brixxton
I thank you all, but check this out!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177859

my head hurts. Think might just hold onto it
A couple of things to keep in mind. First, you just received a range of valuations. Throw out the low one (that's mine) and the high. Somewhere in the middle is probably a pretty decent valuation.

Second, ebay prices are just that; they're ebay prices. You need to find the prices at which items sold for.

Third, there is something odd about that eBay bike and it’s a really, really high price. That bike has a Reynolds frame, but the stickers don't look right and the seller says that he or she does not believe this is Reynolds. Your bike I believe is hi tensile steel. Nothing wrong with that but that lowers the value. The parts are lower end as well with steel rims, a steel cottered crank, and low end campy derailleurs.

At $200 plus (which is where the valuations came in), there are "better" bikes out there but maybe they lack the right coolness factor. Your bike is cool in an old fashioned way and that may well sustain a higher valuation that I gave to it.

Last edited by bikemig; 03-17-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 08:33 PM
brixxton
resykler

There not making any more!!

Originally Posted by bikemig
A couple of things to keep in mind. First, you just received a range of valuations. Throw out the low one (that's mine) and the high. Somewhere in the middle is probably a pretty decent valuation.

Second, ebay prices are just that; they're ebay prices. You need to find the prices at which items sold for.

Third, there is something odd about that eBay bike and it’s a really, really high price. That bike has a Reynolds frame, but the stickers don't look right and the seller says that he or she does not believe this is Reynolds. Your bike I believe is hi tensile steel. Nothing wrong with that but that lowers the value. The parts are lower end as well with steel rims, a steel cottered crank, and low end campy derailleurs.

At $200 plus (which is where the valuations came in), there are "better" bikes out there but maybe they lack the right coolness factor. Your bike is cool in an old fashioned way and that may well sustain a higher valuation that I gave to it.
First ,thankyou all for your input.
I can assure you both frames are identical, probably part of the same 1970' California import .
Of course mine is more than a frame and once truly finished will be a rare example of 1970"s Italian "bling". Who wants to spend $3K on a ((((***)) only to be lost in a crowd of them.
of course that guy must be dreaming, or he knows something...
Old 03-17-21, 08:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Looks like the handlebar is bent. May explain the front wheel.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...292597698.html
Old 03-17-21, 10:20 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by brixxton
First ,thankyou all for your input.
I can assure you both frames are identical, probably part of the same 1970' California import .
Snip . . .
of course that guy must be dreaming, or he knows something...
You do not need to assure me of anything. The frames look the same. The sticker on the eBay bike likely is wrong.

EBay is full of overpriced inventory

Last edited by bikemig; 03-17-21 at 10:31 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-17-21, 11:49 PM
CaptainFanAus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, good one! (Dad joke expert thumbs up!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.