Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

You just never know who you'll meet while camping...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 07:33 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts

We returned yesterday from camping for the week in central Oregon. The weather was perfect, although warmer than usual for this time of year.

To my surprise, the couple that were the camp hosts had a couple of sweet Mondonicos, which they had purchased new years ago from the now-defunct Salem bike shop South Salem Cycleworks (actually, they still have an online presence).

What was more surprising was to discover that Russ and I were both members of Capitol Velo Racing Club, at different times (me from mid-late 80s, him in the early 90s). So we had a great time discussing old times, mutual people we knew, and of course bikes. I told Russ about Bike Forums and got his email address, so hopefully he shows up here and joins the fun.

Russ let me take a few shots of the bikes:

Old 06-05-21, 07:37 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Awesome story, AND the Mondonico’s! You just don’t see those every day.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 06-05-21, 08:13 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Beautiful bikes, great story

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-05-21, 10:13 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Those are indeed rare and beautiful bikes -- thanks for sharing.

My only cycling and camping story is from a morning in 1972, when two of us were cycling up Mt. Wilson (just northeast of Los Angeles) and encountered a troop of Boy Scouts breaking camp. Their leader said to us, "I'm glad I'm not with you. Where did you start -- Glendale?" "No, Santa Monica," my friend replied. "I'm really glad I'm not with you!"
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 06-05-21, 01:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
He still has several frames in stock, he's very proud of them as he should be, but....

https://www.sscycleworks.com/bicycle...ames-sale.html

And Torelli's

https://www.sscycleworks.com/bicycle...ames-sale.html
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-05-21, 02:13 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by merziac
He still has several frames in stock, he's very proud of them as he should be, but...
Those prices are steep, more than I'm willing to pay for something that's not custom made for me.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-05-21, 02:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Those prices are steep, more than I'm willing to pay for something that's not custom made for me.
Agreed, I've been aware for a long time, looked at them many times, met the guy once and he was pretty full of himself, bragged about all the bikes he had.

I looked him up and thought no wonder, mostly too overpriced so they don't sell. Too bad too, those should be on the road.
Old 06-05-21, 02:21 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
He still has several frames in stock, he's very proud of them as he should be, but....
$1500 for a dented Mondonico f/f.

I am really enjoying the color palette on the cycles in the OP. An eye for detail down to the bottle cages. Awesome!
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 06-05-21, 02:25 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Silly prices imo.
Old 06-05-21, 02:28 PM
merziac

@johnnyace

No full on pics?
Old 06-05-21, 03:31 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Agreed, I've been aware for a long time, looked at them many times, met the guy once and he was pretty full of himself, bragged about all the bikes he had.

I looked him up and thought no wonder, mostly too overpriced so they don't sell. Too bad too, those should be on the road.
Well, I wasn't gonna bring it up, but since you did...
Yes, Mike is very full of himself, opinionated, and a braggart. Many people had a hard time with him. Russ and I talked about that a bit. The thing about South Salem Cycleworks, though, was that they were the only place in Salem for years that was still carrying bikes like this. All the other stops in town had the usual Giant/Trek/Specialized big-brand focus, and nothing Italian. But the prices, yeah... consequently, I never bought a bike from him, but did have some work done there, and those prices were decent.
Old 06-05-21, 03:40 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

@johnnyace

No full on pics?
No, sorry. The bikes were locked and stored under a tarp (he uncovered the bottom 2/3rds of the bikes) at the front of their camp trailer, and there was a new, very large steel chain around both bikes. Helene gave Russ a bit of a hard time about this, as I knew BF members probably would. I was surprised by it myself! But the paint was fine. Anyway, I decided to avoid THAT shot.

We will be returning to the same campground in August, and they will still be hosting, so hopefully we can get a ride in together, and I can get more pics.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-05-21, 03:50 PM
merziac

Well, I wasn't gonna bring it up, but since you did...
Yes, Mike is very full of himself, opinionated, and a braggart. Many people had a hard time with him. Russ and I talked about that a bit. The thing about South Salem Cycleworks, though, was that they were the only place in Salem for years that was still carrying bikes like this. All the other stops in town had the usual Giant/Trek/Specialized big-brand focus, and nothing Italian. But the prices, yeah... consequently, I never bought a bike from him, but did have some work done there, and those prices were decent.
Well you're right and I get it but when you're the only real game in town it speaks volumes when you think its right to gouge that much. His bragging would be fine if it wasn't mainly an attempt to bolster his pricing.

We all like to talk up and show off our work, deals, acquisitions, etc. but we know our audience and are usually quick to be corrected if need be, price reasonably and have respect for our collective wisdom.

If the labor rates were decent then that's a bit redeeming as long as consumable prices were also in line but that can be a bit self regulating as you can easily price shop those things and call BS when they are out of line.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion, business model and all else but its not rocket science, he has a lot of frames that may actually be losing value as his target audience ages out and didn't buy any when they were in the thick of it, let alone now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-05-21, 03:57 PM
merziac

No, sorry. The bikes were locked and stored under a tarp (he uncovered the bottom 2/3rds of the bikes) at the front of their camp trailer, and there was a new, very large steel chain around both bikes. Helene gave Russ a bit of a hard time about this, as I knew BF members probably would. I was surprised by it myself! But the paint was fine. Anyway, I decided to avoid THAT shot.

We will be returning to the same campground in August, and they will still be hosting, so hopefully we can get a ride in together, and I can get more pics.
No worries,

sounds good, maybe take him an inner tube to cut up and cover the chain with. I've also seen some people wrap the whole chain with tape then cover it with the tube, to make it a little more easy to wrangle and not flop around on the paint.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-05-21, 04:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Those are indeed rare and beautiful bikes -- thanks for sharing.

My only cycling and camping story is from a morning in 1972, when two of us were cycling up Mt. Wilson (just northeast of Los Angeles) and encountered a troop of Boy Scouts breaking camp. Their leader said to us, "I'm glad I'm not with you. Where did you start -- Glendale?" "No, Santa Monica," my friend replied. "I'm really glad I'm not with you!"
I got pretty much the same reaction in 1980 when I was 'on tour' from Cleveland OH to Madison WI. I had started my day at 6am-ish outside of Antioch IL near the IL/WI border, north to Muskego (to say hello to my aunt/dad's sister), then went north of Waukesha/Pewaukee, then west on towards Watertown (another aunt/mom's sister). I stopped at a diner on the outskirts for a bite so my aunt wouldn't feel the need to feed me (already rode 85+ miles by this point)... Folks at the diner couldn't believe that I had ridden that far... When I told them that four days ago (I was into day five), I had left Cleveland, they were flabbergasted!.(I got a free meal out of telling my story).. After a quick visit with mom's sister, it was on to Madison. In all, a 125-mile day, all by 8pm.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-05-21, 11:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I find interesting the edges the head tube and seat tube color breaks were done - blue to “champagne”
the headtube color break is pretty typical, the seat tube at the tube edge, not the outer lug edge is interesting.

centaur in century finish... uncommon

cannot run a bigger rear tire!
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-06-21, 12:06 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I got pretty much the same reaction in 1980 when I was 'on tour' from Cleveland OH to Madison WI. I had started my day at 6am-ish outside of Antioch IL near the IL/WI border, north to Muskego (to say hello to my aunt/dad's sister), then went north of Waukesha/Pewaukee, then west on towards Watertown (another aunt/mom's sister). I stopped at a diner on the outskirts for a bite so my aunt wouldn't feel the need to feed me (already rode 85+ miles by this point)... Folks at the diner couldn't believe that I had ridden that far... When I told them that four days ago (I was into day five), I had left Cleveland, they were flabbergasted!.(I got a free meal out of telling my story).. After a quick visit with mom's sister, it was on to Madison. In all, a 125-mile day, all by 8pm.
Being the only recreational road cyclist in a large radius, I get this quite frequently. You went all the way to Cacalchen!? That's a long way! 36 km roundtrip.

Old 06-06-21, 03:58 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
In the mid 70's, 3 hippie looking guys on loaded bikes camping in county parks in small town Tennessee was still a rare and maybe suspicious curiosity. Most people were friendly and we never got overly hassled. At least once we got the idea that the deputies in the town we left had notified the deputies in the direction we were headed. Only once did they want to look through our bags and we froze when one said 'You're lookin' a little glassy eyed'. We knew better than to have anything leafy on this trip. They were OK letting us keep our little bottles of Jack. We were never more than 60 miles away from Lynchburg and even now there are dry counties where alcohol sale is limited but there are plenty of open secret places that thrive. One of the stores we stopped at had the classic old guys on the shaded porch and one of them was carving with a pocket knife. John was into pocket knives, had one of his own and got into a discussion with the guy and wanted to trade knives. He was interested but not enough to trade. One of the locals told us about a lake and waterfall that we would never have known about so we took the side trip. It was great. Hours later we rode back through the town by the store and that old guy stepped out into the street to stop us and trade knives. Exciting stuff, I know. The crappy plastic Simplex derailleurs on my cheap French bike decided to crap out so I did a lot of that trip with only 3 or 4 noisy gears. Interesting coincidence here. I still have that bike and it was my Covid summer resto-mod job and is better than ever. Stout, smooth and quiet with a few hundred new miles on it already. The 70's Cyclone rear, barely used mid-80's Sun Tour XC front, freewheel and 30T chainring are from South Salem Cycles website. I don't know anything else about him but in my emails and conversations with him he was friendly, courteous, educational and helpful to a guy who had never completely torn down and rebuilt a bike from the ground up.

Last edited by Medium Size Dog; 06-06-21 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For Medium Size Dog:
Old 06-06-21, 04:52 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
In the mid 70's, 3 hippie looking guys on loaded bikes camping in county parks in small town Tennessee was still a rare and maybe suspicious curiosity. Most people were friendly and we never got overly hassled. At least once we got the idea that the deputies in the town we left had notified the deputies in the direction we were headed. Only once did they want to look through our bags and we froze when one said 'You're lookin' a little glassy eyed'. We knew better than to have anything leafy on this trip. They were OK letting us keep our little bottles of Jack. We were never more than 60 miles away from Lynchburg and even now there are dry counties where alcohol sale is limited but there are plenty of open secret places that thrive. One of the stores we stopped at had the classic old guys on the shaded porch and one of them was carving with a pocket knife. John was into pocket knives, had one of his own and got into a discussion with the guy and wanted to trade knives. He was interested but not enough to trade. One of the locals told us about a lake and waterfall that we would never have known about so we took the side trip. It was great. Hours later we rode back through the town by the store and that old guy stepped out into the street to stop us and trade knives. Exciting stuff, I know. The crappy plastic Simplex derailleurs on my cheap French bike decided to crap out so I did a lot of that trip with only 3 or 4 noisy gears. Interesting coincidence here. I still have that bike and it was my Covid summer resto-mod job and is better than ever. Stout, smooth and quiet with a few hundred new miles on it already. The 70's Cyclone rear, barely used mid-80's Sun Tour XC front, freewheel and 30T chainring are from South Salem Cycles website. I don't know anything else about him but in my emails and conversations with him he was friendly, courteous, educational and helpful to a guy who had never completely torn down and rebuilt a bike from the ground up.
Great story, tx for sharing, these are the experiences that make life great, interesting and so cool.

I think the guy at SSC has likely mellowed a bit by now and from above has always helped with parts, shop work and the like.

But that doesn't change the fact that his prices on the frames are beyond IMO.

Their are a couple that I have looked at several times but I never even tried to make an offer for them being so far out there.