Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Did I Buy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Did I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 02:45 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
What Did I Buy

A local sold me a Specialized Allez for $100 CAD. It looks to be mid-90s, lugged frame. It’s in good shape overall. It’s completely spec’ed out with Dura-Ace, including the hubs of the Mavic wheels. The head set is Shimano 600. Serial number PL201595. In what I assume was an after market modification, it has rotary bar end shifters - the first time I’ve seen that on a road bike!

Note the bar ends
Old 08-21-22, 03:02 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Alloy ? front forks not original . look to be off a Guerciotti (ALAN)
Check the frame tubes for front impact damage .
Looks like a good deal just in parts .
Those shifters are fugly !

HAve fun with it :-)
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 08-21-22, 03:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wonder what the ride will be like? Did any bike maker use a steel frame/aluminum fork combination?

While the supplied pics don't suggest any front end damage, I'd look closely for any signs of damage (tiny bumps behind the head lugs on the main tubes, and possible cracking of the paint in the same location) as 1simplexnut suggested. If all is well, I'd say your 100 Georges got you a nice bike!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-21-22, 03:16 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

The frame and paint show no signs whatsoever of front impact damage - although with the replacement fork I was suspicious. Thanks for the lead on tracking down the fork maker. The shifters are ‘unique’ 😂.
Old 08-21-22, 03:46 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
That is not a replacement fork. The Allez came with a stock aluminum fork in some years during the early 90s. I'm guessing that's about a '91 but your Google machine will tell you more. There have been a few other chromoly bikes with aluminum forks, although not many. That bike looks like it's in great shape and is worth $100 all day long.

The Allez is a very desirable vintage road bike. Except for the years they used this fork, they're all full DB chromoly and usually have nice components. I think I'd swap those shifters for some nice bar ends.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-21-22, 05:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
In what I assume was an after market modification, it has rotary bar end shifters - the first time I’ve seen that on a road bike!

Note the bar ends
Those are early Grip Shift for road bikes. Most people have only seen later versions popular on mountain bikes and hybrids, but the earlier version was available for road or for mountain.

Also, while some Allez bikes might have come with an alloy fork that particular one looks like an ALAN-type alloy fork that might have been used on one of the many badge-engineered versions, like on a Guerciotti.

Last edited by thumpism; 08-21-22 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-21-22, 05:26 PM
Mountain Mitch

Thanks for the information about the shifters and the fork. I took the bike for a short ride and I was impressed by how smooth it was and how well the indexed grip shifters work! Now, if I can just get over their looks…
Old 08-21-22, 05:28 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Yeah, on a road bike they epitomize the "clunky" look.
Old 08-22-22, 01:08 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Is that a Miyata-branded stem?
Old 08-22-22, 01:26 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Did any bike maker use a steel frame/aluminum fork combination?
Yes, my Parkpre (Tange Prestige) was spec’d with an alloy Tange Fusion fork, as was my ‘90 Merlin Titanium. I’m sure there are others. Though, obviously, that Guerciotti fork is not original to this Allez.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 08-22-22, 11:19 PM
Mountain Mitch

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Is that a Miyata-branded stem?
I think you’re right. There is no name but there is an M on the end of it.