Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Old 08-23-22, 07:28 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A cleaned and waxed 12-spd YBN chain from MSW is $110-$150 depending on how much you want them to do. A pre-waxed 12-spd Dura Ace chain from Silca is $185, and a pre-waxed 12-spd SRAM Force AXS chain from Silca is $155. I can walk into my local shop and get a 12-spd Dura Ace, Force AXS, or Super Record chain for less than $70. So, yeah, you're paying about double if you buy a pre-waxed chain.
Yeah those are silly prices, but hopefully there are more reasonable suppliers in the US. If not, there's a viable side business for someone.

(I ordered from an Australian supplier, ultrasonic cleaned and MSW waxed Dura Ace chain costs under USD90 for 12 speed and USD75 for 11 speed)
Old 08-23-22, 07:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I used to climb through the hills here when I was a kid. There was tons of poison oak and, yes, I did pee in the bushes. Had that **** all over me.
My kid had to have steroids a couple of times.
Old 08-23-22, 07:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
"I don't want to do it" is fair and I have no issues, but that's not the basis on which you engaged with the topic.
I believe it is. I don't recall saying anything negative about waxing. I said I'm sure it is a fine method. The only negative thing I said was I don't believe your shpiel.
Old 08-23-22, 07:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My kid had to have steroids a couple of times.
Poor kid.
Old 08-23-22, 07:32 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Been waxing for a while now and here is what I learned:
  • less expensive compared to wet lubes
  • easy to swap chains
  • I use an oven cake pan from .99 cent store & heat the wax on a stove. I know its a petroleum product and can cause fires.
  • my chains/cassette last longer
  • I don't have to clean my drive train after a ride. Just a quick wipe
  • KMC missing link is $13 for 2 reusable links and fits any brand

What I don't like
  • the initial chain clean takes a while. I use the Oz Cycle method so an 8-hour soak
  • quick links... I've had some issues where the quick link is fine, but the chain link next to it breaks
  • my drivetrain gets noisy around 150-mile mark and for me that is about a week to a week 1/2 to re-wax. Just got some Tru-Tension wax-based lube for when I don't have time or don't feel like re-waxing or taking a trip with the bike
  • most of all -- on wippermann chains I keep losing the roller next to the quick link, but no big deal. Also, just switched to shimano chains and they are so much less noisy.
Old 08-23-22, 07:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Yeah those are silly prices, but hopefully there are more reasonable suppliers in the US. If not, there's a viable side business for someone.
You've gone from "paying double is just uninformed and deceiving rubbish" to "hopefully there are more reasonable suppliers." I think you just gave a lot of people whiplash with that rapid backtracking.
Old 08-23-22, 07:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
The bike I ride most is now three years old has something like 6000 miles on it.​​

I wouldn't be terribly incentivized to front-load maintenance at these kinds of mileages, either. Then again, it might be kind of nice to only have to clean a new pair of chains once every 5 years or so.
Old 08-23-22, 07:39 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by sshakari
Been waxing for a while now
Try YBN quick links, 6 pack for $20 or so and each is reusable at least 5 times, I think they work well with all correct-speed chains.
Apparently the YBN chain coatings also play well with waxing, I vaguely remember that KMC performed least well with wax but I haven't used them myself yet, only DuraAce, Ultegra and YBN.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-23-22, 07:40 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Fun and snarky...
No, really just sarcastic. Fun and snarky would be if I included a link to an old SNL video that comes to mind as I read about how quick and easy it is to wax a chain:

Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-23-22, 07:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

You've gone from "paying double is just uninformed and deceiving rubbish" to "hopefully there are more reasonable suppliers." I think you just gave a lot of people whiplash with that rapid backtracking.
A box of wax at the hardware store costs about $3.

Silca caters to people with lots of money, or morons like me who should know better. (I am guilty. I bought their frame-pump and a couple of Ti water bottle cages for my wife, as well as two instances of their $50 handlebar tape). But I still wouldn't buy their wax or pre-waxed chains. There is a limit to my idiocy.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-23-22, 07:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

I provided the much more reasonable prices I purchased at which are far lower than the suppliers you quoted.
It's like you saying engine oil is cheap and I quote you the Ferrari service department charge for the oil used to refute it.
Old 08-23-22, 07:47 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts

Silca caters to people with lots of money, or morons like me who should know better. (I am guilty. I bought their frame-pump and a couple of Ti water bottle cages for my wife, as well as two instances of their $50 handlebar tape). But I still wouldn't buy their wax or pre-waxed chains. There is a limit to my idiocy.
Silca's stuff is expensive, but it's sooo nice. I am another moron who fell for one of their products. I have a little multitool from them that has been my favorite one for years. It's no more functional than one from Park or any number of other brands. But it was sparkly and elegant looking, and it spoke to me at the bike shop. 25 or 30 bucks, I seem to recall. It's a little gem, and I love having it.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-23-22, 07:54 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by yaw
I provided the much more reasonable prices I purchased at which are far lower than the suppliers you quoted.
Your "reasonable" prices are from an unnamed overseas supplier. I posted current prices from specific suppliers that anyone can verify.
Old 08-23-22, 07:58 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Your "reasonable" prices are from an unnamed overseas supplier. I posted current prices from specific suppliers that anyone can verify.
Overseas for you and here you go (Australian dollars). And things in this county are routinely much more expensive than in the US.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...1-speed-chain/
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...2-speed-chain/

Last edited by yaw; 08-23-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 08:23 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by yaw
Overseas for you and here you go (Australian dollars). And things in this county are routinely much more expensive than in the US.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...1-speed-chain/
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...2-speed-chain/
The second link lists pre-waxed 12-spd YBN, 12-spd SRAM Force AXS, and 12-spd Dura Ace chains for $130. So, we're still talking roughly double the normal $70 price.
Old 08-23-22, 08:24 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Yes hot waxing is clearly the best for friction, chain wear, etc. But it takes more time to maintain, and the gains can be marginal. The Zero Friction tests of Silca SS drip lube showed it is actually beating a top hot wax lube in dry conditions. Maybe if I was a cyclocross racer I'd get into hot wax, but for a dry road non-racer its not worth the extra time investment.

BTW ZFC also shows that throwing money at Silca is a good investment here, you will overall save money due to fewer chains and cassettes needing replacement. See https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-drip-v1.1.pdf for the gory details. This is for the drip lube but a similar thing holds for the hot wax.. if you have the time for it.
Old 08-23-22, 08:35 PM
yaw
should be more popular

The second link lists pre-waxed 12-spd YBN, 12-spd SRAM Force AXS, and 12-spd Dura Ace chains for $130. So, we're still talking roughly double the normal $70 price.
I wrote Australian Dollars there to alert you to the currency exchange step you will have to consider. 12 speed DA chain AUD 130 = USD 90, 11 speed DA chain AUD 109 = USD 75.
Old 08-23-22, 09:14 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by yaw
I wrote Australian Dollars there to alert you to the currency exchange step you will have to consider. 12 speed DA chain AUD 130 = USD 90, 11 speed DA chain AUD 109 = USD 75.
The final price for a pre-waxed 12-spd Dura Ace chain, delivered to the U.S. from your source is US$132.80. So, again, we're talking roughly double the price of an un-waxed chain. It's great if you can get it for less, but for most people on this forum, it will cost them double to buy a pre-waxed chain.
Old 08-23-22, 09:24 PM
sshakari

Originally Posted by yaw
Try YBN quick links, 6 pack for $20 or so and each is reusable at least 5 times, I think they work well with all correct-speed chains.
Apparently the YBN chain coatings also play well with waxing, I vaguely remember that KMC performed least well with wax but I haven't used them myself yet, only DuraAce, Ultegra and YBN.
To be quite honest all the negatives I listed are making rethink chain waxing. Im seriously considering going back to wet lube like NFS or even the Tru-Tension BananaSlip and just buying a new chain every 2k or so miles. Mainly because Im feeling like Im a slave to the bike instead the bike being my slave. These thoughts include disk brakes, a different discussion thread.
Old 08-23-22, 09:32 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Whacks on for waxers

Originally Posted by yaw
Immersive waxing.

It's the best thing.
Nope. For you, maybe. While your wax is melting, I will have wet-lubed and been out the door for 10 minutes. But if you love it, wax on!

Other notes:
  • Why does no one feel the need to evangelize for wet lube? Why do some waxers need to persuade riders who aren't interested?
  • I doubt that waxing is less expensive in any substantial way than wet-lubing. And if it is, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than have three chains in rotation and a crock pot. Waxing is certainly more time-consuming.
  • I don't care if I can't eat off my drivetrain. If my hands get dirty once in a while, I'll be okay.
  • I replace my chain at around 3500 miles, and it's not worn out yet, but I can afford it. Are waxers getting double that? If not, why bother to have three chains in rotation and a little crock pot? Everyone likes a ritual, but I'd rather be riding than tracking my chain/cassette/chainring wear. Is there an Excel template for all of that?
Good luck, waxers.
Old 08-23-22, 09:48 PM
sshakari

Silca saddle bag & frame pump are worth every penny and I would have paid more. Had a floor pump from Silca for 7 years and finally gave up on it and got a cheap pump just as good if not better.
Old 08-23-22, 10:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by sshakari
Silca saddle bag & frame pump are worth every penny and I would have paid more. Had a floor pump from Silca for 7 years and finally gave up on it and got a cheap pump just as good if not better.
I haven't been able to say to my wife "honey, I dropped $175 on a frame pump". But in addition to everything else, the color scheme exactly matches that of my bike (black with anodized red trim), much as my 1987 Silca pump matches my Bianchi.

So you like the saddle bag? I had my eye on it.
Old 08-23-22, 10:29 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by BCDrums
  • I replace my chain at around 3500 miles, and it's not worn out yet, but I can afford it. Are waxers getting double that?
Immersion hot waxing gets 4-5 times that lifespan out of a chain.
Old 08-23-22, 11:29 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Immersion hot waxing gets 4-5 times that lifespan out of a chain.
There is no way in hell you can guarantee that. Not possible. We know you like wax, that's fine. Don't promise people that they'll be faster and have their chains last 12-15k miles. Just stop w/ that ****.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-24-22, 03:30 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by cxwrench
There is no way in hell you can guarantee that. Not possible. We know you like wax, that's fine. Don't promise people that they'll be faster and have their chains last 12-15k miles. Just stop w/ that ****.
Go take it up with https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

Looks like he runs a pretty standardised rig and has wordy enough documentation at the bottom of that page for you to go through and point out how it cannot be.

Refer to column on the far right:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.