Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2023 Domane on Trek's site

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2023 Domane on Trek's site

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 06:04 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Hahaha.. My 1st 'computer' was a C64C Test Pilot...
mine too, my mom who was a teacher spent half her summers (bless her soul) programming basic so me and my buddy's had a slightly marginally semi fun game to burn a couple hours on before we deemed it lame. When she passed in 2016 she still had the small tv in her basement that was used for the monitor.

what memories……should have been on a bike lol
Old 09-09-22, 07:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
What always gets me with Trek, is the color combo offering to the sub models.
what if someone wants a color that's only available for sl5 but they want a sl6?

Shouldn't be a thing, but it is.
When the Emonda first came out, I was looking at the carbon SL , but then I saw and really liked the ALR. I really loved the ALR 5 red that was not offered in the 6, so I bought the 5, moved my 11 speed Ultegra off my Cannondale SuperSix I was looking to sell and then put the 105 from the ALR on the SuperSix which I sold 2 days later. It was a pain, but I really loved the red and still have the bike and it rides like a dream.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-09-22, 07:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I will agree with you and I have to say it's rather odd that they announce a handful of new models and none of them are available. "This product is currently unavailable online. Check local availability and delivery timelines with your retailer". I think I may call my Trek LBS and ask them exactly that that timeline is.
I'm going by my lbs tomorrow to pick up a part for someone, wanted to see the same thing. I like the red\blue SLR coloring, and would consider a frameset and move my di2 over

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-09-22, 07:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is there a particular reason we need to take a look? Does it have a goofy tailbone like the other bike they came out with?
Old 09-09-22, 07:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
$13,199 with 58cm max size and generic wheels and tires.
How are the wheels generic? Those aren't generic in my book.
Old 09-09-22, 07:55 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 727 Posts
The Madone in light blue.
Old 09-09-22, 08:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I presume in some minds that house brand = generic
Old 09-10-22, 06:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I guess Trek made the labels?
Old 09-10-22, 06:26 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I thought Trek outsourced areolas wheel production to China recently. Am I wrong?

Bontrager label on the hub and Bontrager R3 tires.....neither are made in house. Where are they laced? Where are the rims molded? Are they made in China like the Zipp 303S or in the USA like the much lighter and wider Firecrests. I sense I could be wrong on the Trek wheels, but I am biased after what they did to Lemond and always will be.

When you purchase Ibuprofen say with a Costco label on it, do you refer to it as Generic? Costco did not make the pills. And you really do not know where they came from. I can guess where they were tableted just as I can guess where the tires came from, but they are not made by Trek nor are the hubs. Rims? China?
Old 09-10-22, 07:27 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I thought Trek outsourced areolas wheel production to China recently. Am I wrong?

Bontrager label on the hub and Bontrager R3 tires.....neither are made in house. Where are they laced? Where are the rims molded? Are they made in China like the Zipp 303S or in the USA like the much lighter and wider Firecrests. I sense I could be wrong on the Trek wheels, but I am biased after what they did to Lemond and always will be.

When you purchase Ibuprofen say with a Costco label on it, do you refer to it as Generic? Costco did not make the pills. And you really do not know where they came from. I can guess where they were tableted just as I can guess where the tires came from, but they are not made by Trek nor are the hubs. Rims? China?
Aeolus RSL wheels are molded, laced in Wisconsin. All others are imported from overseas.
Old 09-10-22, 02:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

Using your standard, treks frames are also generic.

Generic doesn't mean simply not made by the brand selling the product.
Generic requires an item to be the same as other items.

If you look at a wheel as just a rim, spokes, and a hub then all wheels are generic. Details matter though and obviously not all wheels are the same.
Old 09-10-22, 03:02 PM
jaxgtr

So when I was at the Trek dealer picking up a part, I asked about delivery dates for these bikes. Trek is not even offering dates yet and would not even take an order for one. They said it the same for the Madone at the moment.

Old 09-10-22, 03:14 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
That's incredible. I like Trek bikes and even own a couple but... I really don't like they way they're doing this.
Old 09-10-22, 03:56 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
The RSL wheels have DT Swiss Ratchet EXP hubs.
Far from generic.
Old 09-10-22, 04:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Now I'm concerned.. are Bpbtti bibs considered generic?
Old 09-10-22, 04:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I didn't check that many other sites but Trek China and France seem to have no problem with inventory.
Old 09-10-22, 05:12 PM
jaxgtr

Yea my shop was not sure if it was components or frames, but he did say, that they did the same thing with the new Fuel EX, said once they could get them in Europe, they seemed to be available in the US. Could be they are building the stock to be available world wide versus just one part of it.

Old 09-10-22, 05:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yea my shop was not sure if it was components or frames, but he did say, that they did the same thing with the new Fuel EX, said once they could get them in Europe, they seemed to be available in the US. Could be they are building the stock to be available world wide versus just one part of it.
Back when I was looking for the Domane, I went to the LBS & put a deposit on the one that matched my criteria & was put on the "list". Doing a traditional order was not an option. So, after placing my deposit, I ended up finding one in stock, paid for it via website & traveled out to grab it. I still have a deposit on the other one.... When I get an "update" from that LBS, they inform me that the new arrival date has moved to the right....

Maybe by the time my legs fall off I'll actually get the update that tells me it has arrived!
Old 09-10-22, 05:46 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Troul
Back when I was looking for the Domane, I went to the LBS & put a deposit on the one that matched my criteria & was put on the "list". Doing a traditional order was not an option. So, after placing my deposit, I ended up finding one in stock, paid for it via website & traveled out to grab it. I still have a deposit on the other one.... When I get an "update" from that LBS, they inform me that the new arrival date has moved to the right....

Maybe by the time my legs fall off I'll actually get the update that tells me it has arrived!

You will probably end up with the 2023 model by the time it ships.

Old 09-10-22, 05:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
You will probably end up with the 2023 model by the time it ships.
I wouldnt turn it down if all the preference boxes are checked. After handing off a bicycle to someone that needed one, I have room for another Domane. Two Domanes? oy vey! I may need to start selling plasma.
Old 09-11-22, 05:42 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
So, have they got rid of that stupid seat mast thing?
Looks like this generation has an odd shaped post. Like last generation but without the expansion plate build in. My 2021 SL6 came with the longer post/mast. I’m a few millimeters from the bottom. Been contemplating getting a short post/mast all summer. With the change I went into the local Trek shop to order one. To order one there is an alternate part number. And it’s not available until December. Shop is looking for one from other shops and I hope to get a call Monday.

May be I should get the Checkpoint AL5 with the round seat post. The. I’d have three sets of wheels for two bikes. N+1.5 rule.
Old 09-11-22, 09:59 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Looks like this generation has an odd shaped post. Like last generation but without the expansion plate build in. My 2021 SL6 came with the longer post/mast. I’m a few millimeters from the bottom. Been contemplating getting a short post/mast all summer. With the change I went into the local Trek shop to order one. To order one there is an alternate part number. And it’s not available until December. Shop is looking for one from other shops and I hope to get a call Monday.

May be I should get the Checkpoint AL5 with the round seat post. The. I’d have three sets of wheels for two bikes. N+1.5 rule.
Seat post on the gen 4 version bike is a standard 27.2, versus the D post, which is a positive step.

Edit: Confirmed it is a D shape post

Last edited by jaxgtr; 09-25-22 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-12-22, 04:59 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Seat post on the gen 4 version bike is a standard 27.2, versus the D post, which is a positive step.
Hard to tell from the Trek site pictures. I did not look through the specs. Agree the 27.2 round post is better. I have a few of various lengths and set backs that will fit. The Gen 3 post is not bad. Expensive and one had to lube the tightening screw or the torque is off. Then post slips.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 09-15-22 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 09-24-22, 02:09 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Hard to tell from the Trek site pictures. I did not look through the specs. Agree the 27.2 round post is better. I have a few of various lengths and set backs that will fit. The Gen 3 post is not bad. Expensive and one had to lube the tightening screw or the torque is off. Then post slips.
So I took a 5 mile test ride on one of these today from the local Trek shop that was taken over by Trek Corp, and they are the only store locally to have them.

So I will say, the ride of the bike is less dead feeling than the Gen 3 SLR I currently have as you are getting some additional feedback from the road That is probably my biggest complaint on my Domane SLR, other things are just nit pick items, but the dull feeling ride is a problem for me. I think the front IsoSpeed dulls the road too much and I want to have some of that feeling when I ride, so removing that is a huge improvement in my book. The rear is no longer adjustable, but to be honest, I never messed with it once I set it, so I don't think this would be a deal breaker for most people. I like that they have cleaned up the cable area at the head tube, I always thought that looked a bit messy. I am not a fan that you will have to run a Bontrager specific stem, unless a third party starts making some to fit. That is a miss in my book, but not a deal breaker.

The bike rode very smooth, but much more lively, and the one I tested had SRAM Force eTap AXS, which I have not used before, however, I have ridden their mechanical stuff, but I just preferred Shimano over SRAM. I will say, I did not hate the eTap AXS, shifted really quick and was not hard to remember the shift pattern is slightly different compared to my di2. I would not hesitate to use AXS in the future if it was available to me. I know their brakes have gotten a bad rap in the past, but I don't live in the mountains, so should not be a concern for me.

You can not order on the Project 1 yet, and they had no idea when they will be opened to accept orders. You can order a stock color and options model, however, there is no estimate given for when it would even ship. You can also order the SLR in a frame only in all the stock colors, but most are anywhere between 130 to 180 days out for delivery, but they don't show any potential dates for availability, so .... Something I found most amusing. the color Juniper, which does not look appealing to me, is 600 days out. So.... I am assuming non of those will ever see the light of day.

I have to say, I would put this on my potential bikes to buy list if I was looking for a new bike, or wanted to update to a newer frame.

Anyway, just a little update on what I found out today.

Brian

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-24-22, 11:30 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
You're wrong about something.
Likes For znomit: