Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where do you usually buy your road bike brake cable?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-10-22, 10:57 AM
yesterbik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am a amateur biker. I love to learn fixing vintage bike myself, for fun.

For road bike brake cable, it costs me $5.xx to buy one cable from my local bike shop.
I order 10pcs brake cable from eBay it costs $15.xx with free shipping.
The one from online purchases, they look as good as the one at the local shop.

The quality of them, time will tell.

I don’t want a cable that breaks easily on normal use.

I hope to hear some experience/ thought from you.

Last edited by yesterbik; 09-10-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 11:15 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
I think the cables you buy online will be fine under normal use. Are they stainless?
Old 09-10-22, 11:22 AM
yesterbik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think the cables you buy online will be fine under normal use. Are they stainless?
I am not sure.
They said ‘ Zinc brake wire core’ in their product description.
Old 09-10-22, 11:25 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
I order mine from various Amazon sites or ebay. Never had a significant problem, even at $1.20 each.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-10-22, 11:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
I use stainless exclusively so I can’t really comment on zinc cables’ reliability.
Old 09-10-22, 11:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by yesterbik
Hi everyone,

I am a amateur biker. I love to learn fixing vintage bike myself, for fun.

For road bike brake cable, it costs me $5.xx to buy one cable from my local bike shop.
I order 10pcs brake cable from eBay it cost $15.xx with free shipping.
The one from online purchases, they looks as good as the one at the local shop.

The quality of them, time will tell.

I don’t want a cable that break easily on normal use.

I hope to hear some experience/ thought from you.
Do either of the mentioned cables have a brand name?

as mentioned if the cable is stainless steel they should be fine. Does the old housing have a nylon lining?

I usually buy online, mainly because my LBS doesn’t usually have what I want I can buy it quicker than can order it. I believe there are several threads listing online places people use. Niagara Cycles, Bikewagon usually has great stuff and there an eBay vendor too.

I usually buy Jagwire cables because they a good quality cable and housing at a decent price, and can be found in different colors.

The local bike shop (LBS) has more overhead to cover than a ebay seller, and while it stinks to pay more for something, it often pays to buy some things at the LBS. Being friends with the shop can pay big dividends when you urgently need help on a Saturday afternoon before the big ride on Sunday.

Lastly we are both a nosy and artistic bunch so we love to know details about what bike you’re working on and love pictures even more.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-10-22, 11:39 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I also go thru so many cables I cannot stomach the prices that LBS have to charge but I understand that they HAVE overhead, etc. so the price is legit, just too high for me.

So I buy from online vendors and just go with whoever has the best price with shipping and usually buy sets of 10+ units.

Pretty sure they are all made in China and sometimes they ship from there, which is another compromise I make to save $$. But if the product description seems like "English was not the original language" then read very carefully to make sure you are buying stainless steel if that's what you want: I have found the descriptions can be worded to confuse.

Nothing wrong with carbon steel cables plated with zinc (galvanized) in terms of strength, assuming they are properly made, but they will eventually rust.
And I hate rust.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-10-22, 11:49 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I tend to go brand name for cable and cable housing, shimano or Jagwire

I am also a stainless fan

If the use is friction shifting then there probably is not much difference, but if you are doing indexed shifting at 11 speeds and above, good cables and housing along with derailer hanger alignment are crtiical

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-10-22, 11:50 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Yokozuna USA, and porkchopBMX.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-10-22, 01:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
www.porkchopbmx.com
not the best web design, IMHO , but for the variety of housings and solid cable products, it's where I have bought for years. Not one mistake. Maybe there are better deals, or for bulk purchase. My favorite LBS jacked the price on 'pre-packaged cable sets' last time I was there. No more buying '4 brake cables and 2 shifter cables' from the service dept. A better solution for them when service techs work on bikes.
Old 09-10-22, 01:57 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I have a local REI where I can get Shimano brake or shifter cables for 3 bucks each.
Old 09-10-22, 02:44 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
+1 for Jagwire online wherever they are well priced, good quality for my needs and different color options.

Having said that, I’m considering moving from individual to batch purchases, i.e. a 100pcs cable box and a long housing roll…
Likes For JackJohn:
Old 09-10-22, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I am not sure.
unless you plan to ride in the rain a lot they should be fine.

if the housing isn’t nylon lined then a bit grease will help them move smoother

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-10-22, 05:32 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I am not sure.
That means those are galvanized steel cables, specifically NOT stainless steel. Don't buy those. Stainless only.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-10-22, 06:07 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
+1 for Jagwire cable. I have to say that I like the kit that Jagwire sells. Jagwire Pro Road Cable Kit That is because the kit comes with all the extra do-dads. I like their slick polished cable for minimizing friction.

While I say that, I also buy Jagwire housing in bulk and Jagwire cables separately. I am usually ordering from some online retailer like Bell's Bike Shop, Jensen, Modern Bike, BikeTiresDirect or Nashbar for other stuff when I order brake and/or shifter cable.

I am not a Prime member so I do not order from Amazon, I go direct the online shops.
Old 09-10-22, 06:18 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
Has anyone who actively maintains their bicycles ever actually had a galvanized cable rust on them? Isn't part of maintaining a bicycle taking the cable out of the housing and re-greasing them, you know, every decade or so? I think the last few brake cables I replaced were because a strand (or two) broke at the soldier point of where the end was attached, and it was dragging on the housing (aka, no rust). Galvanized is more "heroic", so, if that's your thing, if you want to immerse yourself into the purest form of C&V'ing, then go galvanized. I don't think my half century aged hands can tell any difference between the performance of stainless or galvanized, but I friction shift, and usually 7 or less gears in the back. I buy cables local, because my local shop doesn't carry much stuff that I actually use, but cables is one of them. I think your money bouncing around in the local economy has a greater social benefit, and that's sorta my thing, but, we all don't think the same, do we.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 09-10-22 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 07:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I also go thru so many cables I cannot stomach the prices that LBS have to charge but I understand that they HAVE overhead, etc. so the price is legit, just too high for me.

So I buy from online vendors and just go with whoever has the best price with shipping and usually buy sets of 10+ units.

Pretty sure they are all made in China and sometimes they ship from there, which is another compromise I make to save $$. But if the product description seems like "English was not the original language" then read very carefully to make sure you are buying stainless steel if that's what you want: I have found the descriptions can be worded to confuse.

Nothing wrong with carbon steel cables plated with zinc (galvanized) in terms of strength, assuming they are properly made, but they will eventually rust.
And I hate rust.
wayback almost all cables were Cad or zinc plated, But the individual strands were plated, some now are plated after. One needs to keenly look.
Old 09-10-22, 07:44 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
WalMart. $10 for 2 brake and 2 derailleur with housing.
Old 09-10-22, 08:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
What i have bought recently and where

Jagwire shift and brake cables and bulk housing LBS (sadly out of business now)

jagwire shift cables, from different LBS need to do the replace the cable preventative maintenance thing on 105 5800 11 speed shifters

Jagwire brake cable and housing kit yet another LBS

Jagwire shift cable and housing kit Online... Bike tires direct because no one had white

Old 09-10-22, 09:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I order ... from eBay.
Same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39282598568...Bk9SR4Lwx6jlYA
Old 09-10-22, 09:53 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
Steel cables are smooth, but rust immediately, even in Death Valley. Zinc plating is NOT smooth (think playground equipment) yet prevents rust. Stainless steel is smooth, and does not need coating to prevent rust, therefore remains smooth, therefore shifts and brakes better.
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 09-10-22, 11:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Unless you have a specific problem with your cables rusting, Stainless cables are NOT better than galvanized. Read explanation from people who know far more about cables than us: Aircraft mechanics:
The bending of a wire rope causes the individual wire stands to not only bend but to rub against one another. Galvanizing is a natural lubricant. For example, galvanized threads have a lower friction (K) factor then plain steel. The individual wires can easily move about with very little friction and wear. Stainless steel on the other hand has high friction and has a reputation for seizing and galling when rubbed together. Every time the wire rope is flexed, the stainless wires rub together. High friction creates high wear.
mechanicsupport.com: Aircraft Control Cable - Stainless or Galvanized?
Stainless cables are stiff, high friction, self galling; while galvanized cables are softer, self-lubricating and low friction.
Old 09-11-22, 02:44 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Unless you have a specific problem with your cables rusting, Stainless cables are NOT better than galvanized. Read explanation from people who know far more about cables than us: Aircraft mechanics:

mechanicsupport.com: Aircraft Control Cable - Stainless or Galvanized?
Stainless cables are stiff, high friction, self galling; while galvanized cables are softer, self-lubricating and low friction.

Ummm….we’re talking bikes not Airplanes. Different applications have different requirements. I’ve installed tens of thousand of cables. SS for the win every time.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 09-11-22, 06:27 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
'Zinc brake wire core’ doesn't mean anything intelligible. Zinc is far too weak to be strands for a brake cable; as discussed this probably comes down to galvanized steel (for rust protection, the old way); but you never know with "everything's made in China" and so forth.
I don't see the point of buying galvanized cables to save a few pennies or even a buck.
I never buy something that's not in a reputable manufacturer's packaging on eBay, at least not anything that would be worth someone's while to counterfeit as a business model: always a judgment call there.
Amazon: I'm a never-Bezoser; I don't like the guy or his business methods. Always go to a supplier direct, preferably one that I'm reasonably certain doesn't sell on Amazon.
So: Jagwire from one of the online direct places usually. LBS if I really need it today.
Old 09-11-22, 06:52 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I usually buy from a local bike shop in Ventura . They have switched to Jagwire for their brake cables and they work well. The thing is, I like grey cable housing and they carry black. I will probably go on line for my next purchase of cables.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.