Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

inner tube rolling resistance

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-17-22, 10:02 AM
Iawestrr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

During a flat tire instance, I noticed that my Conti 5000 (25C) wear indicators were getting low. I had 2 brand new tires (same as before) and 2 brand new tubes put on. The tubes were RavX butyl rubber. Don't know if my mind was playing games with me, but it seemed that the rolling resistance was more noticeable on our next ride. I know that tires have various types of rolling resistance, but do tubes also? What inner tubes do you use on your tandem? I don't plan to use latex tubes, so we are talking rubber here.
Old 09-17-22, 12:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by Iawestrr
During a flat tire instance, I noticed that my Conti 5000 (25C) wear indicators were getting low. I had 2 brand new tires (same as before) and 2 brand new tubes put on. The tubes were RavX butyl rubber. Don't know if my mind was playing games with me, but it seemed that the rolling resistance was more noticeable on our next ride. I know that tires have various types of rolling resistance, but do tubes also? What inner tubes do you use on your tandem? I don't plan to use latex tubes, so we are talking rubber here.
With 25mm tires, it's fine to use tubes labeled for 19-23mm tires. Have done so. They also pack well for spares. I usually use Conti tubes just because they've consistently worked well for me and usually tubes labeled "Race 28".
Old 09-17-22, 01:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
It appears on its face that the o.p. is ascribing the change noted in rolling resistance to the new tubes. Until I learn otherwise I am assuming the tubes were also the same brand as before? Even if not, the tires, while they are the same brand, same model even, are NOT the same tires as before. I am a Schwalbe loyalist and always put 28mm Marathons on the road tandem. Somehow without any fanfare, between my last set of Marathons and the present ones, Schwalbe switched production to India and downrated the max pressure on the Marathon from 110psi to 95psi. I don't consider them the same tire anymore regardless of what is printed on the sidewall.

There is that, but there is also this: at typical pressures for 25mm tires, and the typical road speeds (and surfaces) enjoyed by most tandems ... rolling resistance of the tires should be almost imperceptible. Rolling resistance of the tubes, absolutely, positively, imperceptible. So, without getting clarification on the tire pressures, riding style, etc. I am chalking the o.p.'s findings to their own suspected confirmation bias. I like Continental tubes (not tires!) because of the threaded stem and securing nut in Schraeder valve configuration. In Presta valve configurations we use whatever is pushed at us over the parts counter. Usually QPB. Whatever is actually IN the tire, the tire itself matters more. A 25mm tire should be able to take 100psi at minimum. Nothing definitive can be said about any kind of 'resistance' at lower pressures than that.
Old 09-17-22, 02:41 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I am using Schwalbe Aerothan tubes on our rim brake tandem. I decided to try them about 18 months ago based on their claims of increased resistance to failure and heat. They have been trouble free to date, and I do perceive a very slight improvement in comfort/smoothness. I have no idea about rolling resistance, but they are light which can conceivably help very slightly on climbing where a tandem team are likely to deliver force somewhat less smoothly than a single rider. Not rubber, but they hold air about as well as butyl tubes I’ve used. I don’t know how well a patch will stick because we haven’t had a flat since I’ve installed these tubes. They are expensive, but if they last then it’s not a big deal to me in the grand scheme of things. As far as butyl tubes I’ve used, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed much difference in ride quality amongst brands.
Old 10-26-22, 06:07 PM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
I also switched to Schwalbe Aerothan and like the new feel to the ride. I do not know if they are anymore puncture resistant, but the feel is definitely different, a bit livelier. I'll see how they hold up in the long run to see if they are worth the cost.