Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Best source for inexpensive kids bike

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 09:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

I generally live and post in road cyclng, and am an avid road cyclist.

However, in spite of my efforts, my 8 and 10 year old daughters are not very interested in cycling. They ride around the block with their friends, but just aren't into it. And I am ok with that.

They have both outgrown their prior bikes and are ready for new bikes. Since these bikes will not see much action I think it makes the most sense to get "budget" sub-$100 bikes for them.

Is there a consensus on whether the best "cheap" kids bike is to be had at wally world, toys r us, Kmart, Target, or where?

Thanks in advance, I did try the "search" function under "best cheap kids bike" and didn't see a thread.

Doug
Old 03-17-10, 09:53 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
CraigsList. Kids are outgrowing their underused bikes everyday.
Old 03-17-10, 10:37 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I never see decent bikes on criagslist around here, they are all just cheap walmart bikes list at nearly the same price as new. I'd like to know where to fnd decent kids bikes too.
Old 03-17-10, 12:14 PM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Craigslist can't be beaten for cheap bikes. If you want quality you may not find it there, but you will likely find scores of bikes for less than $50. Some are decent. Post your old bikes and you will likely get the new rides for next to nothing.
Old 03-17-10, 12:29 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enine
I never see decent bikes on criagslist around here, they are all just cheap walmart bikes list at nearly the same price as new. I'd like to know where to fnd decent kids bikes too.
Sometimes you just have to be patient with Craigslist. If possible, widen your search to other locales. Look in Bucks County and Philly if you are not already. It also is a big help if you know the kids bike market so that you have an idea of the models you might want.
Old 03-18-10, 08:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Thanks for the suggestions. I know CL may have some bargains.

However, my kids are "girly girls" (apologies to the women in here) and will want a new, pretty and shiny bike with the "right" types of streamers, graphics, etc., so we will most likely just hit Toys R us later this month. We have a couple of gift cards leftover from xmas so that will help keep the cost down.
Old 03-18-10, 09:45 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
Thanks for the suggestions. I know CL may have some bargains.

However, my kids are "girly girls" (apologies to the women in here) and will want a new, pretty and shiny bike with the "right" types of streamers, graphics, etc., so we will most likely just hit Toys R us later this month. We have a couple of gift cards leftover from xmas so that will help keep the cost down.
I understand. If they are girly girls they likely will not be putting heavy use on the bikes as you stated (my apologies to any offended by my observation).

As for the box store bikes, they are not as far apart in quality from the name brand bikes when compared to differences in adult box and name brand bikes. With a little tuning you can have a well running bike that will do them fine. If you aren't sure of what to check consider taking the bike to your LBS for a tune up. The problem with that is that once you do that you will be at about the same price as a name brand bike from your LBS. The savings is in being able to tune the bike yourself. It's not too difficult and something you might enjoy doing. One downside is that you will feel like you care more about and spend more time with the bike than your kids do . Just be glad when they ride them.

You may not need the following info but just in case. I can't recommend any particular brand or store to get the bike from. I can recommend deciding on what features you want. If geared, check that the shifters can easily be worked by your kid(s). The twist grip shifters are often very stiff. Make sure they can reach the brake levers and operate them smoothly. Check that the pedals are not bent (the only way I can do that is by riding it myself). Check that the rims are round and true. Check that they can fit the bike. Bikes are heavy for kids. It is much harder for them to be comfortable on a bike that they probably can't lift and now struggle to mount and dismount without toppling.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-10, 04:10 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see many cheap bikes ridden around here, & will say that our local Target store does assemble these bikes well. Wallyworld, here, throws them together & sometimes I work on one for an hour to straighten out their mess, & make these bikes safe to ride. Catch a Target bike on sale, but don't get TOO cheap on the price.
Old 03-19-10, 05:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

UPDATE

We went to Toys R us yesterday. My 8 year old selected a cute purple single speed (she's such a hipster, but I can't get her to ride it fixed) with a coaster brake. It's nothing fancy but should last her for a couple of years until she outgrows it.

It was $59.99. Luckily I am good with basic assembly/wrenching, so I put it together myself last night.

My 10 year old has decided to ride her current bike, and to get a new one next year.

Daughters and dad are all pleased.
Old 03-19-10, 07:44 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas

Daughters and dad are all pleased.
It doesn't matter how much you spent, that and safety are the most important parts.

I hope you all have some good rides together this year.
Old 03-19-10, 08:52 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a hint to help make a big box store bike ride a little better: adjust the hubs, as they tend to be a bit tight.