Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Prevail Helmet?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-20, 09:44 AM
bobin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey all wondering about this new Specialized Prevail 2 helmet I just bought. First Mips helmet. My head size 60cm falls just a tad on the L size - so I bought a Large. Is this the best move? Anyone else have this helmet? It feels like it's always a bit loose - but maybe that's the way Mips is supposed to feel? It also feels like it comes way down on the forehead. Anyone else have this helmet and got any thoughts?
Old 05-05-20, 10:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
MIPs is designed to allow some slip between the helmet and the retention, so if that's the looseness that you're describing, yeah, might be normal.

As far as fit, head circumference is only a part of the story - shape is very important. Specialized helmets fit me very well, so much so that I haven't had a non-Specialized helmet in 10+ years, but if you have a differently shaped head, you might want to try on models from other brands.
Old 05-05-20, 10:26 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I've never seen a Specialized helmet that didn't look way too big on the user's head. I'm not sure if that's because they look huge, or if it's because everyone wearing them wears a size larger than they should. It's like the older guys that wear size 13 New Balances when they are obviously a 10.5.

If you don't like the way the Prevail II feels, return it and get something else. There are literally hundreds of helmets on the market. No reason to trap yourself into something you don't care for.
Old 05-05-20, 10:28 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I've never seen a Specialized helmet that didn't look way too big on the user's head. I'm not sure if that's because they look huge, or if it's because everyone wearing them wears a size larger than they should. It's like the older guys that wear size 13 New Balances when they are obviously a 10.5.

If you don't like the way the Prevail II feels, return it and get something else. There are literally hundreds of helmets on the market. No reason to trap yourself into something you don't care for.
Your foot size estimation sounds epic, you can probably use that skill to win a lot of bar bets
Old 05-05-20, 10:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Mine fits great.

You sure it's not a counterfeit??
Old 05-05-20, 10:45 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Your foot size estimation sounds epic, you can probably use that skill to win a lot of bar bets
Would you assume a 5'6" social-security-aged Caucasian male to wear a size 13 trainer? ...or would you just notice the inch of empty space between the back of their heel and the shoe? Maybe the slappy flipflop noises their feet make as their foot rattles around in the white NB sacks they buy once a decade?

Do you wear a Specialized helmet?
Old 05-05-20, 10:58 AM
WhyFi

I've never seen a Specialized helmet that didn't look way too big on the user's head.
ikr. You should totally tell these guys that they should reconsider their helmet sizing

Old 05-05-20, 11:07 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by WhyFi
ikr. You should totally tell these guys that they should reconsider their helmet sizing

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9hkno_F1T2/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzvtIc1owIH/
Yep. There are those of us that wear a helmet on the small side to gain aero benefits. Look at the difference in overhang between the Williams boys and Sagan. The Williams helmets look absolutely massive compared to Sagan's. They could easily run a size smaller and get a tiny amount of aero gain out of it. Those two photos show one of the distinct differences between a successful WT pro and successful domestic pro.
Old 05-05-20, 11:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Saw something recently talking about how Pros will wear a helmet that's a size smaller than normal, and take material out of the inside of the helmet so that it fits better and is more aero.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-05-20, 11:18 AM
WhyFi

Those two photos show one of the distinct differences between a successful WT pro and successful domestic pro.
If the Williams bros would just size down their helmets, they might be WT material, something you've figured out, but they haven't - got it.
Old 05-05-20, 11:21 AM
Cypress

If the Williams bros would just size down their helmets, they might be WT material, something you've figured out, but they haven't - got it.
Props on missing the entire point of my post and only focusing on an incorrectly-interpreted fact.

Enjoy your oversized helmet.
Old 05-05-20, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Props on missing the entire point of my post and only focusing on an incorrectly-interpreted fact.

Enjoy your oversized helmet.
Yeah, it must have been my poor interpretation - it couldn't have possibly been a shortcoming on your part.

But back to these losers! What mushroom heads!

Sorry - but saying that their helmets are massively oversized is just dumb.
Old 05-05-20, 11:31 AM
Cypress

Yeah, it must have been my poor interpretation - it couldn't have possibly been a shortcoming on your part.

But back to these losers! What mushroom heads!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B--nWZGFE3o/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_dMdnHlH2B/

Sorry - but saying that their helmets are massively oversized is just dumb.
Keep going, man. Always classy with the ad hominem attacks.
Old 05-05-20, 11:40 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Specialized helmets fit more oval-shaped heads, so don't work for those of us with rounder heads because the temples would either be too tight or the whole helmet would be too big. My Specialized dealer wouldn't even sell me a helmet because he told me it wasn't a good look.
Old 05-05-20, 11:40 AM
WhyFi

Keep going, man. Always classy with the ad hominem attacks.
Lol. So saying that I incorrectly interpreted something is cool, but saying that you poorly articulated something is an ad hominem - got it, thanks.

Back to mushroom heads - lookit here. Peto with the same helmet as the Williams bros and photographed at the same angle... and the same "massive" overhang. So much for the distinct differences between a WT pro and domestic pro. You should totally drop Pete a line to school him.

Old 05-05-20, 11:44 AM
Cypress

Lol. So saying that I incorrectly interpreted something is cool, but saying that you poorly articulated something is an ad hominem - got it, thanks.

Back to mushroom heads - lookit here. Peto with the same helmet as the Williams bros and photographed at the same angle... and the same "massive" overhang. So much for the distinct differences between a WT pro and domestic pro. You should totally drop Pete a line to school him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9pPaEQIlqh/
Who knew you could get under someones skin so bad by criticizing their helmet
Old 05-05-20, 11:55 AM
WhyFi

Who knew you could get under someones skin so bad by criticizing their helmet
Lol - more deflection. A) you're still hilariously wrong 2) No, you've not gotten under my skin; you've incorrectly interpreted the exchange - too tight of a helmet can do that.

Ta ta.
Old 05-05-20, 11:59 AM
Cypress

Lol - more deflection. A) you're still hilariously wrong 2) No, you've not gotten under my skin; you've incorrectly interpreted the exchange - too tight of a helmet can do that.

Ta ta.
Do you need me for this conversation, or....?
Old 05-05-20, 08:11 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I tried on the Prevail II Propero 3 today both in a medium. The Propero fit great but the Prevail felt too loose with the helmet twisting too much on my head. A small sized Prevail was too small.
Old 05-05-20, 10:04 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
OMG you guys stop the bickering. It's a friggen helmet fergoshsakes.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-06-20, 06:31 AM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recently purchased a Prevail II to replace my 11 year old S-Works. I measure 59cm so I tried on the medium and the large. The medium was at its maximum adjustment and with a winter cap was too snug. I am right in the middle of the adjustment range with the large. My head must be oval because the Specialized helmets work well for me. The Prevail II also has a height adjustment. Unfortunately there is no instruction for what is the ideal setting. I played with mine and now have it set to the mid range of the 5 options. My S-Works, which has no height adjustment, feels like the helmet sits on the top of my head whereas the Prevail II sits slightly above. I attribute this to the new retention system, height adjustment and the slightly rounder shape over the head. The helmet does fit low on the forehead and so does my S-Works. Specialized recommends that the helmet fit low on the forehead - notice that most pros helmets fit right at the top of their sunglasses. The new retention system does feel more loose than the old. The ventilation of the Prevail II is noticeably better than my S-Works (which was very good in that respect). Mine has the ANGi sensor which I hope I will never actually need. One area that folks always emphasize is how light the Prevail II is. On my scales my large weights 282 grams, only 6 grams less that my S-Works. After riding with the Prevail II i feel it is a nice step up over my S-Works. Hope this helps answer the original question.
Likes For Vince Canepa: