Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-28-20, 08:07 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Did 3 sets of 7x60sec at 127% with 40sec off between. Rounded out the 2 hrs with z2. Not NP under 20min is that great of a measure, but my NP for 11min of each set was 310, some day I’ll actually need to try and see what my 20min power is.
Old 07-28-20, 09:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Double Zwift race morning, about 20 and then 25 min on Crit City courses. AP about 95% on both, NP not a lot higher because it's Zwift. 2 hrs total. Finished about half way down in each race.

They were fun! In the first it all stayed together and I got an aero helmet as my last powerup, which I guess means I was supposed to go FTW, but it was 5.0+ w/kg pace just to stay in so I rolled in mid pack. In the second race I got distanced (along with half the other A's) and spent the last 3 laps riding with one other rider. He would not let me give him a wheel, would ramp up every time I tried to come around, weird. We (well, he) swooped up a few more dropped from the front. I launched at the last twisty/hilly/punchy section a mile out and solo'd from there for 20th.

Last edited by TMonk; 07-28-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 02:27 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Training Status; it hasn't been good. I'm still putting in the miles but I'm not putting in the effort. Also, the hub on my Neo is destroyed so its looking like outdoor rides for the next week.
Old 07-28-20, 02:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
TTT Tuesdays at Fiesta. 6 laps 40K TTT 1’ pulls with a 10” acceleration every lap - 1:06, 22.1 mph. Normal Fiesta winds. Tempo / SST power. Great morning and ideal temperature for a long effort.
Old 07-28-20, 08:02 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Protip: doing a TT after a 9min close to max effort will not go well.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-29-20, 10:03 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
5' power is up about 30-40 watts (325 vs 364) and 20' power is up 25+ watts since May (288 vs 315). My biggest struggle is getting proper recovery / adequate sleep. If I get 6 hours a night I basically dig a hole and feel like I'm sick, resting HR skyrockets, and any amount of training is too much. 8-9 hours a night and I feel amazing. I've had 9 days in a row of 8+ hours, and it seems no matter what workout I do, I feel stronger the next day, and HR remains low. Mental clarity is also much better, which is a plus. If you think you can get by on 6 hours a night like a lot of folks, you should try doing 8-9 hours for a couple of weeks just for fun. Huge difference for me.

I'm also still doing a pretty polarized split. 85/5/10. I like this approach much more than when I was doing a ton of sweet spot and tempo.
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-02-20, 12:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Taking a stretch break near the end of the "Uber Pretzel" route in Zwift. At the run-in to the final climb (Alpe de Huez replica), which won't be super fun. In total the ride will be good for a little bit under 5 hrs at ~2.8 w/kg. 8-10 min total between two breaks (bathroom, water).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-02-20, 07:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Overall volume down, but I have been riding 6-7 days per week which is more than usual. A lot of times (like tomorrow) I've been hopping on the trainer for as little as 30 min of just z1/2 spinning. Always improves my mood and makes me feel a bit more grounded and centered to get some circulation in the morning.

Someone took our beloved Fiesta Island KOM, by 2 seconds. Our previous time (7:56) was north of 31 MPH. Full TT setup of course. We know the guy who took it, he's a local racer on a different team. So we have that on the radar and may try as soon as next week.

So I guess I'm not in full off season mode yet . In all likelihood I'll keep some decent fitness through labor day, when we are going camping in Sequoia NP. Have some other planned time off the bike in Sept as well.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-03-20, 08:10 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
finished the first half of short power build HV on trainerroad, couple of hard workouts this weekend. Saturday was 4x15 "race start" intervals, with 30sec @ 150% and settling into 95%, did 3 of 4, it was doable but I was a bit underfueled and a little undermotivated. Still a solid session. Yesterday was 3x30 @ 90%. Sadly I forgot to try some Amp Human my wife bought to try out, curious to see if I'd feel anything on something like a 95% effort (90% is too easy for me to really need that)
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-03-20, 09:20 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Huge ride this weekend for me, 215 TSS, 82 miles. My local club grouped passed me going the opposite direction about an hour into my planned z2 solo ride. I spun around quickly and started chasing, picking up all of the guys getting popped, driving around 360-380 watts @ 26-28 mph. Set a new 5' power record (well, a record since I started riding again 5 months ago) and kept motoring as fast as possible, slowly gaining ground. Unfortunately my lack of fitness showed up about 8 minutes in and the front group of three who were all working together started opening the gap and I never reached them. I can't wait until my 5' is over 400w and 20' is over 350. It sure makes things a whole lot easier.
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-03-20, 12:27 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Huge ride this weekend for me, 215 TSS, 82 miles. My local club grouped passed me going the opposite direction about an hour into my planned z2 solo ride. I spun around quickly and started chasing, picking up all of the guys getting popped, driving around 360-380 watts @ 26-28 mph. Set a new 5' power record (well, a record since I started riding again 5 months ago) and kept motoring as fast as possible, slowly gaining ground. Unfortunately my lack of fitness showed up about 8 minutes in and the front group of three who were all working together started opening the gap and I never reached them. I can't wait until my 5' is over 400w and 20' is over 350. It sure makes things a whole lot easier.
Weird, a lot less power for me, but same thing on Saturday. I was going to do maybe 2 hrs of Z2 alone. I got 1hr in and saw half the team going the other way. Nobody had posted online. I guess I'm not in the 'in' crowd. I u-turned and it took me about 5min to catch them.

Then I was stupid and at the group they were going to ride with I wound up rotating in the line too much. They were all fresh, including the folks who showed up only for that ride. I'm no expert, but our team leader has worked with me on fast rotations. And several guys in this one were screwing it up to try to show off.

I popped at about mile 50 in the ride and told the only teammate who didn't get dropped from that ride I was soloing home. I had a lot of TSS from the day before and the 2 hours before starting that ride. I peeled off right and they went straight.

155mi over the weekend. About 10hr week with 12500 feet. TSS wasn't stunning as I kept it Z2. Lots of elevation because Zwift and because hilly ass neighborhood I live in (short hills).
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-04-20, 05:12 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
5' power is up about 30-40 watts (325 vs 364) and 20' power is up 25+ watts since May (288 vs 315). My biggest struggle is getting proper recovery / adequate sleep. If I get 6 hours a night I basically dig a hole and feel like I'm sick, resting HR skyrockets, and any amount of training is too much. 8-9 hours a night and I feel amazing. I've had 9 days in a row of 8+ hours, and it seems no matter what workout I do, I feel stronger the next day, and HR remains low. Mental clarity is also much better, which is a plus. If you think you can get by on 6 hours a night like a lot of folks, you should try doing 8-9 hours for a couple of weeks just for fun. Huge difference for me.

I'm also still doing a pretty polarized split. 85/5/10. I like this approach much more than when I was doing a ton of sweet spot and tempo.
I've been way more polarized these last two years, and I really enjoy the big, Z2 cruiser rides coupled with two FTP or higher days.
Likes For Yep:
Old 08-04-20, 06:41 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

My favorite days are the long endurance rides too. Looking forward to some big weeks this winter.

I felt amazing on the ride this morning. Starting to see a glimpse of fitness. One day at a time.
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-05-20, 06:55 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
A bunch of 2 minute Vo2 intervals last night...because why not? Rode with a friend who had the workout planned and I just stayed on his wheel..I was still in vo2 power on his wheel, although I would pop in and out of his draft if I was getting too close/power was too low.

Im sure ill have dead legs for a few days now, so..
Old 08-05-20, 08:01 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Don't laugh, but I just figured out how to get strava segments on my wahoo LOL. Found a good one to hit after my 90' endurance ride and broke my 10' power record and almost matched my 5' power record, and all of that fasted. Now to do something about this extra weight!
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-05-20, 08:03 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by Wylde06
A bunch of 2 minute Vo2 intervals last night...because why not? Rode with a friend who had the workout planned and I just stayed on his wheel..I was still in vo2 power on his wheel, although I would pop in and out of his draft if I was getting too close/power was too low.

Im sure ill have dead legs for a few days now, so..
How many did you do? Were you really just in the vo2 zone or pushing well into the neuromuscular region? Those shouldn't give you dead legs unless you were already overtrained...
Old 08-05-20, 08:07 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
How many did you do? Were you really just in the vo2 zone or pushing well into the neuromuscular region? Those shouldn't give you dead legs unless you were already overtrained...
11 total and each one was right in the middle of my vo2 zone. I havent been doing too many intervals this year, especially anything higher than sweet spot, so im sure I will feel it for at least a day or two
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 08-05-20, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TTT Tuesdays on Fiesta. Unlike some racers on this forum who burn sub 8 minute laps on Fiesta, we had trouble getting under 11 minutes. We finally broke 11 on lap six when we finally got a clear lap where we did not have to slow down. We would like to burn 10:20 laps that would give us a 1:02 40k which would be great for training TTTs.

It was a Fredappalousa on Fiesta plus 6 mph speed differential due to wind between the front and back stretch. We kept encountering strings of cars backed up by cyclists cruising 12 mph 3 abreast across the road making it impossible for cars to pass. We can pass cars but it is tricky and not at 25 mph.

If one wants to burn a fast lap at Fiesta, it has to be at the crack of dawn before the bike traffic and wind show up.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-05-20, 11:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Right at 300w during some 2 mile efforts on the TT bike at lunch. The position fix from the video worked. Aero still, and I can make the power now. It's almost like that 1" of stack height was ruining my power production and not making a lick of difference aero wise. Pads need moved wider a bit, but otherwise really happy.

It's a crap road pavement wise. Bumpy, a bit rough in spots. But accounting for out/back in the same spot it was averaging about 27mph. Road helmet and road kit. Flo 60/90 training wheels. Not a loose road kit, but not skinsuit. Not slow wheels, but not the HED 9+ and HED disc I have either. Yesssssirrrrr. Happy man.
Old 08-05-20, 11:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Funny how satisfying it can be just to hit your wattage targets on a windy day.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-05-20, 04:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes

It was a Fredappalousa on Fiesta plus .
Ever read "Cat 3" comics? They described it as "hairy legged weaving cyclists from hell".

Last edited by big john; 08-06-20 at 03:03 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-07-20, 10:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Same lunch loop area in the cornfields and little rolling hills of country road with that higher CRR "whir" of the pavement. Warm, but not in the 90's yet. High humidity.

Today just dipped between upper Z2 and upper SS power for 20ish miles. 24mph avg. No HRM working, battery died. I could have gone a lot harder. Also, this was with road helmet, flappy Gaimon cookie jersey, and training wheels. Man, with full race kit I think a sub-hour 40k is in the cards. It was a fair route. A couple short rollers, oval shaped out-back loop. If I had to count cars and trucks help/hurt is about equal. But they always see you and pass you a lot slower than they fly by the other way. That one truck the other way.....man. Not unstable, just the effort to shove through his wind.

Last night I widened the pads up for my elbows a hair. No testing on aero yet, but it is more comfy so less tendency to move in a way to hurt aero. I also made a new GPS mount getting it perfect behind the hands and visible at a very small glance with just my eyes. No head movement necessary.
Old 08-07-20, 11:41 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Our KOM attempt at Fiesta yesterday (~4.2 mi) was interrupted by a car. This is three of us in full TT setup. Shortly before the car, my teammate and I almost crashed after a sloppy exchange which spooked me and I kinda dropped off. We regrouped and got ready to go again, but then we were stopped by a bunch of MAMILs (middle aged men in lycra) splayed across the road that failed to move over in time despite us yelling and screaming. This was about half way into our effort and we were making good time and on track to take it back.

On the second one I started to feel a little more OK, but going into it I was scared as I haven't done an effort like this since January and these guys are really tough. The other two are national level time trialists, I'm just sort of along for the ride and giving 10s at a time on the front. I wasn't feeling super confident and totally there mentally so I had kind of relegated myself to giving them a few turns and then dropping off pace. But after having done that, I feel like I'll be more mentally prepared to tough it out and go for the whole lap next time.

Oh, I also got a KOM out of it. This is with a 2 MPH tailwind. I have no idea how I ended up ~2s faster than my teammates over this, but it's probably b/c I hadn't completed a pull yet and rolled to the back. I had forgotten how hard that is at this speed. You have to save something for getting back on/in the draft as it takes a few seconds of big watts, which is hard shortly after a pull.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-07-20, 11:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I went out again this morning and did 3x 3' VO2 efforts surrounding a longer threshold then SST one. I felt pretty good, and surprised myself with how good I felt during the VO2 ones. This will also help me get my head in the game for our next KOM attempt, which may be as soon as Monday.

edit: TT bike of course

Last edited by TMonk; 08-07-20 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-07-20, 12:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta is a cruel mistress. Stay safe out there and good luck!
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.