Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I saw a lady on an Eliptigo today. Do you guys dance that?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I saw a lady on an Eliptigo today. Do you guys dance that?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 10:59 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
https://www.elliptigo.com/

You could have done that for yourself. Oh, I think they also have a FB page, too.

I've test-ridden Elliptigos, both the long-stride and short-stride models. Surprisingly easy to ride, surprisingly smooth and stable for something on 20" wheels. The long-stride models are noisy and wear out track rollers in a hurry (I've read). Short-stride is quiet and doesn't need as much maintenance.

Build quality is very impressive.

The experience is quite different because of the gearing; your cadence is much lower.

Long-stride Elliptigos are regularly ridden in serious endurance races like P-B-P, but I don't know how. Aside from the aerodynamics, these machines are far less efficient than DF bikes or recumbents.

They're also selling a lot of SUBs--Stand-Up-Bikes. I just have to laugh at that. For a lot less money you could get an ordinary DF bike, remove the seat and post, put on a set of big platform pedals, and have the same thing.

@Darth Lefty may have seen one of these:

https://www.streetstrider.com/

I have one myself, and it's so much fun you can hardly stand it. Much more fun than the Elliptigo. If you get in a big empty parking lot (plenty of those lately) you can get this side-to-side motion going; they call it 'carving'. Puts a big silly grin on your face and you don't want to quit. Even better than that, though, I find that at the proper cadence and load, my breathing falls into sync with my arm and leg motions, and I get into a sort of flow state that I've never experienced with any other form of exercise. It's a freaking rush. I guess it must be like 'runner's high', though I used to run and never did experience that. Remarkable feeling, and I can reliably get it in seconds, but it requires having a good range of gears. I bought the 3-speed and only rarely and fleetingly achieved this, then I converted it to an 8-speed and can have it all the time.

Trouble is, I get doing this and completely exhaust myself in no time, but I think that's the point. And, it's no speed demon; doing rides in a park, I've noticed I can't reliably keep up with joggers, but that's my poor engine, too.

BIG advantage of the Elliptigos over the Street-Striders is the footplates. The ones on the SS have no raised edges on much of them and my feet tend to shift off to the sides, which is something I plan to do something about.

Interesting. I wonder if I should look into Eliptigo or Street Strider. The SS works your upper body, unlike the Eliptigo.
Old 10-03-20, 11:42 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Interesting. I wonder if I should look into Eliptigo or Street Strider. The SS works your upper body, unlike the Eliptigo.
I'd recommend the StreetStrider, but get the 8-speed. It's lighter and 8 gears are enough with these machines. They're throwing in the indoor training stand for free now. It's a truly cheesey item, but it works. Boring indoors, though, you gotta get outside with it for the fun.

I forgot to mention a strange thing I've noticed: on a familiar rail-trail, I find myself shifting UP (temporarily at least) on mild uphill stretches where I'd be downshifting on my other bikes. Maybe it's something to do with using your arms, and you do notice that.

You'll also probably want to put on a trigger-shifter to replace the stock grip shift. I hated the grip shifter because, pulling and pushing on the arm levers, I kept accidentally shifting it when I hadn't intended to.
Old 10-04-20, 04:28 AM
DreamRider85

Between Elliptigo and Street Strider, which one is best for uphill climbing?
Old 10-04-20, 05:30 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I've come across a couple that ride these on a local MUP. I was surprised at the speed they get up to. These seem to be high end models with all the bells and whistles and geas. It doesn't look like fun to me though. I'll stick with my regular style bike...
Old 10-04-20, 05:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't just go for a walk and save your $2200 cost of a basic machine.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-04-20, 07:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't know why you wouldn't just go for a walk and save your $2200 cost of a basic machine.
Walking is too simple and old school. Fitness industry needs to make money so it comes up with all kinds of expensive gimmicks and then convinces people that the only way to get fit is to purchase their gimmick.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-04-20, 07:32 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Have to wonder if people with bad backs ride elliptigos instead.
Old 10-04-20, 08:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Ellipticals are way more popular than bikes or treadmills at the gym. I think this would be even more popular if not for the anticipation of such snide reactions.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-04-20 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-04-20, 09:13 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I regularly see two folks using them around here (not together). They don't look to be as maneuverable as a regular road bicycle, I've wondered how well you can balance on them considering you don't have a body part firmly planted on it (like your butt on a regular bicycle), and they look pretty limited in where you can ride them (hills could be an issue, as previously mentioned). And $2200 is more than I'd spend on one of those unless I could rent one for a while for the experience.
Old 10-04-20, 09:27 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
I tried one, they are a workout. More of a flat land ride.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 10-04-20, 09:41 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Have to wonder if people with bad backs ride elliptigos instead.
I have back problems, and riding the Street Strider doesn't aggravate my back at all.
Old 10-04-20, 09:51 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by skidder
I regularly see two folks using them around here (not together). They don't look to be as maneuverable as a regular road bicycle, I've wondered how well you can balance on them considering you don't have a body part firmly planted on it (like your butt on a regular bicycle), and they look pretty limited in where you can ride them (hills could be an issue, as previously mentioned). And $2200 is more than I'd spend on one of those unless I could rent one for a while for the experience.
The Elliptigos maneuver as well as a bicycle, thanks to having a front fork, though the long-stride models require a little more room to turn. Balance is no problem at all.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the SS is that they can't do very tight turns; they have a 7' turning radius. You only notice this once in a while, though.
Old 10-04-20, 10:19 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
First saw them a few years ago during CHicago's Bike-the-Drive. About three or four riders. Must have been a club or shop that sold them.

There's a young family that I've seen on our local path in mid summer. . We've seen them going out and coming back to their parking spot.. Mom takes out the eliptical and goes for a 3 mile loop. Looks like a lot of work. The man and a little guy tear off on their own with a hitch hiker rig for about a 8 mile loop.
Old 10-04-20, 10:31 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Not true with the StreetStrider; you can carry a straight line perfectly well on it. I think you mean those things with roller-skate wheels, though. Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/AODI-Wheeled-...YYMHR32PWMN971

Yea- I was referring to two different things. The eliptigo can move like the normal bike or trike, just pedaled with different motion. The trike in your link cannot go in a straight line which makes it very difficult to pass .
Old 10-04-20, 10:35 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by curbtender
I tried one, they are a workout. More of a flat land ride.
As they say, YMMV, but there are people who hill-climb on Elliptigos a lot. My local terrain has a lot of steep little hills on it, and I find that using the arm levers on the SS adds considerable power for climbing. The SS will unquestionably give a better upper-body workout. I'd say that hill-climbing ability on either is mostly a matter of endurance.

This guy has probably done about as much as anyone could with Elliptigos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvF...ttmVjQg/videos

I can't seem to find any similar in-depth info on the SS, but they have an FB page where fans go gaga.
Old 10-04-20, 03:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
In a world full of faster/lighter it is more of a workout. I'm sure you could get more out of it than I did. I wouldn't mind having one for the exercise but it isn't going out on a group ride for sure.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 10-04-20, 03:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
I followed a gal on one of those for a few minutes one day. The view was incredible.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-04-20, 04:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I saw a guy start the Triple Bypass on one a couple years ago. That's 120 miles and 11k of climbing.

No idea if he finished since bicycle speed and eliptigo speed is quite different.

I wonder how that beast is on Colorado descents?
Old 10-04-20, 06:03 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
That company makes a standup gravel bike as well
Old 10-04-20, 07:50 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by bruce19

But couldn't you say the same thing about a bike?
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 10-05-20, 01:25 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Not sure if it was that brand but I came across an older gentleman riding one a road near Watsonville with some rolling hills; some with pretty decent grades. While he wasn't going very fast he did not seem to have any problems managing the grades.

Whatever gets people outdoors and active is OK in my book.
Old 10-05-20, 02:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
But how is it going down a hill?
Old 10-05-20, 02:59 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
They're also selling a lot of SUBs--Stand-Up-Bikes. I just have to laugh at that. For a lot less money you could get an ordinary DF bike, remove the seat and post, put on a set of big platform pedals, and have the same thing.
See my comment above. I remember a kid back in the 1970's in my home town who, for whatever reason, didn't have a seat on his bike so he rode it standing up.
Old 10-05-20, 03:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
There was a sizeable crew of Elliptigo riders at Paris Best Paris 2015. Quite a few finished within the 90 hour time limit. That's 1200km or around 760 miles in 90 hours including sleep. PBP is not flat.
At least one of the riders wrote a blog. IIRC they ran close to the time limit, and managed on little sleep. That speaks to the athleticism of the riders as much as to the capability of the platform.
Old 10-05-20, 04:17 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If there is an option to drop the stem while riding sorta like a "dropper stem", it can place you in an aero position.

In my indoor elliptical bike at home, it has two handle bars. One puts you in an upright position and another puts you in an aero position with the back fully horizontal.

Although admittedly, the aero standing position in an elliptical bike is going to be uncomfortable, even painful to those who isn't used to that position.
I spent a week in Seattle last year. Without a bike I planned on walking outside, or inside on a treadmill if they had one at the hotel. The hotel's fitness room had a treadmill and there was an elliptical machine. I got on the elliptical and found that if I rested my fore arms drown by the base of the "handlebars" I was in pretty much the same position as on the aerobars on my bike that had them. It was very comfortable, even without a seat! (I still went for walks outdoors, too.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.