Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GRX Di2 availability

Old 11-11-20, 05:30 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
GRX Di2 availability

FYI folks...Shimano is apparently having bigly supply problems. I was talking to a retailer out of state....they said their suppliers haven't gotten anything since September, and everything they've ordered/requested has missed every single delivery promise since. There was originally going to be promised swag this week.....but that got pushed back to middle of December already./

IOW--if it ain't in stock, your odds of seeing it before 2021 are slim to none.
Old 11-12-20, 08:26 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Yup, I've been waiting since August. LBS ordered my bike and GRX di2 at the same time, took three weeks to get the bike, still waiting for the GRX di2 parts. Glad I didn't wait to have them build the bike, I've been riding it with mech GRX while I wait.
Old 11-15-20, 09:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
All that stuff is back ordered untill December now, so early next year wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 11-15-20, 02:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Remember when Wuhan China was shut down this spring? That was when they would have been making all of the stuff we would be buying this summer and fall... And then demand went through the roof and they have not been able to catch up since then... Some 2021 new bikes will not be delivered to dealers until next August...
Old 11-22-20, 07:07 PM
MikeIndy

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Trek Madone Disc, S-Works Diverge,Seven Evergreen SL Ti, Trek Fuel EX, Trek SuperCaliber, Farley Fat Bike, Trek Domane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 9 Posts
I did a build-up this summer on my Diverge. I got the GRX thru Amazon. A quick look online shows me you can still get it there. Maybe your LBS would understand in this case if you need to get the build done.
Old 11-22-20, 08:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by MikeIndy
I did a build-up this summer on my Diverge. I got the GRX thru Amazon. A quick look online shows me you can still get it there. Maybe your LBS would understand in this case if you need to get the build done.
What isn't in stock, no one can get...even the Amazon entries aren't optimistic on anything OOS:

Old 11-23-20, 08:57 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What isn't in stock, no one can get...even the Amazon entries aren't optimistic on anything OOS:

Seems like a few small retailers here and there have parts in stock. Obviously all the major retail outlets are out of stock but I was able to find an 815 RD recently at The Colorado Cyclist.

There is also a small local shop that has a whole GRX Di2 2x drivetrain in stock. Keep looking. Parts are coming in here and there, just keep an eye out.
Old 11-23-20, 09:15 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Seems like a few small retailers here and there have parts in stock. Obviously all the major retail outlets are out of stock but I was able to find an 815 RD recently at The Colorado Cyclist.

There is also a small local shop that has a whole GRX Di2 2x drivetrain in stock. Keep looking. Parts are coming in here and there, just keep an eye out.
The reason that happens....the shop was fool enough to order in a groupset, and not demand payment up front from the customer--who then bailed. And then the shop is caught holding parts that there is no market for. In Nebraska--NO ONE stocks groupsets, they never sell, doesn't matter if it is Di2 or Ultegra reg. Because nearly no one builds bikes. They're always special order items from distributors or from manufacturer direct.

Put simply...Di2 is so rare here, shops never bother owning the Di2 debugger or even the Di2 charger/USB interface. They never sell/build the bikes/hardware so they never bother owning the interfaces.
Old 11-23-20, 10:07 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
The reason that happens....the shop was fool enough to order in a groupset, and not demand payment up front from the customer--who then bailed. And then the shop is caught holding parts that there is no market for. In Nebraska--NO ONE stocks groupsets, they never sell, doesn't matter if it is Di2 or Ultegra reg. Because nearly no one builds bikes. They're always special order items from distributors or from manufacturer direct.

Put simply...Di2 is so rare here, shops never bother owning the Di2 debugger or even the Di2 charger/USB interface. They never sell/build the bikes/hardware so they never bother owning the interfaces.
Maybe, maybe not. The SF Bay Area is a different market with a fairly high demand for bikes in general.

I know that bike parts in general are difficult to source right now. But it seems that that some parts are indeed coming through the supply chain to the shops.The 815 front & rear derailleurs are in very short supply right now. I did find an 815 RD in stock recently at an online store I browse frequently, they had 3. I bought one of them.

I was mostly noting that if you REALLY wanted a GRX 815 groupset you could probably piece one together from multiple vendors. It may take some patience, a little legwork, and a few phone calls but it could happen.
Old 11-23-20, 02:07 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Di2 is that rare there? Man I feel like every third or fourth bike has it here. (Wish mine was one of them)
Old 11-25-20, 12:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
If my lbs didn't have the required support equipment needed to take care of Di2, I would be really hesitant to buy it as well. In the early days, I helped them debug a setup because it was the first time they had to do it and Shimano's software didn't work on their macs. My understanding is they have done this many times since, but probably only a couple of times a year. I think they had to borrow some equipment from Shimano that time because the problem was in some weird part. Not sure if that has changed.
Old 12-07-20, 04:33 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
If you're waiting for Shimano GRX Di2 keep waiting. It's so worth it. I build my current gravel bike with them and love them. They feel so damn good when riding. Check out more where I talk about them in my build video.

Likes For illjustride:
Old 12-12-20, 09:14 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
As of two weeks ago, Obed was quoting 2 to 3 weeks on a full GRX di2 build, so they obviously had stock. I decided to go with a custom build on a Trek Checkpoint frame. My local shop was able to source most of the GRX stuff from their supply channel with a January delivery promise. I found the other parts, like the 2x crank, on direct to consumer sites, none of which in the States had a complete group set.

I have a bunch of spare di2 stuff hanging around - jbox, climbing buttons, battery - so I didn't even consider a different solution. I went with the 2x so I can swap wheels with my Domane without needing to change cassettes.

When finished, in addition to the standard brake shifter on the drops, the bike will be set up with the GRX bartop in line brake lever, a climbing button so I can shift and brake from the tops if I want, and a splitter from Outbraker to run both front and back off a single lever pull. My left arm went missing at the shoulder in 1974, so I am controlling everything with one hand. The di2 stuff has been a huge bonus.