Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front Rack Bag?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Front Rack Bag?

Old 04-01-21, 02:28 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Front Rack Bag?

My bike has a small front rack on it and I'm looking for a suitable bag to use for my commute to work. It seems the only front bag out there are handlebar bags which I'm not interested in. I do like the Surly Petite Porteur House Bag but in Australia it costs $220

Can anyone recommend a good bag or would you say the Surly Petite is worth the money?
Old 04-02-21, 07:55 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Huh $220 AU = $168 USD. Looks like it can be had here in the States for $105 USD. Guess shipping and import duty is high(?). Lots of other options (EX: Swift, Velo Orange), but not for less money than that, and in a lot of cases, much more $$$.. The Surly Petite looks like a pretty good deal to me. A front basket is an inexpensive option that could work instead.
Old 04-02-21, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I've thought about going to a rack-mounted front bag a few times, but as you've found out, the prices are pretty steep. (At least you've got the rack!)

Ortlieb bar bags have a nice offset mount so you can grab the bars "under" (actually behind) them; Arkel has or had a similar bag using a Klik-fix mount (which is a whole lot easier to put on than the Ortlieb mount!).

All of which is to say, I can't help much. Good luck!
Old 04-02-21, 11:46 AM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Ah so these bags are expensive. I thought it might have just been heavy handed retailers (the only 2 in the country) who carry the Surly bag.
Old 04-05-21, 11:26 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Surly prices always seem high to me for what they're offering, but I'm a cheapskate.

How big of a bag are you looking for? I recently posted a review of an Axiom handlebar bag that's decently spacious, but possibly not what you're looking for. For my bikes that have front racks, I have two options. One is a somewhat small handlebar bag that I got from Amazon for around $25. It came with an ugly mounting bracket that made it sit above the bars. I removed that and replace it with mounting hardware to use with a Velo Orange decaleur.

For commuting (if I can think back to when I had the option of going in to the office), this was sufficient unless I needed to carry a laptop (in which case I used either rear panniers or a backpack).

For bigger loads, I have a VO handlebar bag.

This is quite roomy and I guess similar to the Surly bag. It's hard to tell from these pictures, but this one has about twice the capacity of the one above. This sort of bag is often as expensive as the Surly or even more. You can get them in fairly big sizes.

I don't know how readily you can get Velo Orange parts in Australia, but you could use their decaleur receiver (https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ever-5mm-posts) and bag mount (https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ount-6mm-posts) to adapt virtually any bag for use with a front rack. I've seen people do this with soft sided coolers and camera bags. VO probably has an Asian supplier (a lot of their stuff appears to be rebranded Dia Compe), so you might be able to get a better deal from a more local outlet.
Old 04-05-21, 03:22 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Thanks. I only really need it for when I'm riding to work (I don't carry a laptop) so bags that size would be fine. My rack is lower so a handlebar bag wouldn't really work though.
Old 04-06-21, 04:41 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
You might want to consider Military surplus. You can pick up a small bag that can be used for a handlebar bag.