Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Advice. What to look for?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-03-21, 02:30 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

I cycle daily and am considering a single speed, but I noticed here in Australia they all seem really inexpensive which has me suspiscious of the quality.

I'd really appreciate some advice for what I should look for in a good quality, reliable single speed bike.
Old 04-03-21, 02:38 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Go to Zach Gallardo's youtube channel. Also Sheldon Brown site. All the info you will want.
Old 04-03-21, 03:38 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Originally Posted by stevel610
Go to Zach Gallardo's youtube channel. Also Sheldon Brown site. All the info you will want.
I suscribed to Zach Gallardo's YouTube channel a year ago.
Likes For Aussie_Cyclist:
Old 04-03-21, 05:35 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Consider a single speed conversion. Sheldon's site gives you a lot of suggestions. I have two conversions that I ride frequently and love the heck out of them.
I also have some single speed bikes with track fork ends, and love them too, but the one I ride most often is a Miyata conversion. Take it for what it is, but the most important thing is fit and then feel, in that order. And my Miyata fits me perfectly and the ride is second to none.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-03-21, 05:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
There are plenty of great custom builders in Australia who could weld or braze you up a good frame and you can festoon it with good parts.
Old 04-04-21, 02:28 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Choose a bike that is the right size, and reasonable quality, and has the shape of bars (flats, drops, bullhorns?) that you like. That's all.

Ride it. Work out what you like and what you don't like. Make improvements (pedals, seat, tyres are a good starting point) and then when you start to get an idea of what bike you wish you had, either build it or buy it.

People were having fun on bikes 10 years ago, and 20, and 30, and even 100 years ago, without all the fancy stuff that we are now told we "need". We don't "need" most of it, but some of it is nice to have.

Single speed (or fixed) is largely about simplicity, so don't make it complicated.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-04-21, 06:47 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Originally Posted by Mikefule
Choose a bike that is the right size, and reasonable quality, and has the shape of bars (flats, drops, bullhorns?) that you like. That's all.

Ride it. Work out what you like and what you don't like. Make improvements (pedals, seat, tyres are a good starting point) and then when you start to get an idea of what bike you wish you had, either build it or buy it.

People were having fun on bikes 10 years ago, and 20, and 30, and even 100 years ago, without all the fancy stuff that we are now told we "need". We don't "need" most of it, but some of it is nice to have.

Single speed (or fixed) is largely about simplicity, so don't make it complicated.
This is why I relate to a single speed. I remember when once you either had a bike, a racer or a bmx . I have a really nice bike that I love with a Gate belt drive but looking at single speeds over the months has me thinking of how much fun I had riding a simple bike, no gears just got on it and rode it. Thing is I know there are a lot of s***** retailers out there and I'd like to get at least a good quality frame.
Old 04-05-21, 01:25 AM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by Aussie_Cyclist
This is why I relate to a single speed. I remember when once you either had a bike, a racer or a bmx . I have a really nice bike that I love with a Gate belt drive but looking at single speeds over the months has me thinking of how much fun I had riding a simple bike, no gears just got on it and rode it. Thing is I know there are a lot of s***** retailers out there and I'd like to get at least a good quality frame.
It sounds like we're on the same page, although in my day the Grifter was the precursor to the BMX. I remember not only the 5 speed "racer" (drop bars on half a ton of gas pipe frame with chromed steel wheels = "racing bike") but the "3 speed racer" with SA hub gear. For most people, there was no special category of "single speed" — there were just some bikes without gears.

If you take to it, your first single speed will not be your last. You don't need to get it perfect with your first purchase. When I bought mine, I made the mistake of "paying the extra for a good one" and although the quality is good, the spec does not suit the actual riding I do. The single biggest problem for me is frame clearance because it turns out that I like to include muddy tracks in my rides, and I spend far too much time digging mud out of the gap between the wheels and the frame/forks.

I have become a big believer in the process of buy, ride, adjust, upgrade, dream, browse, decide, then buy the right one.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-05-21, 07:35 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Find a good older steel frame something like a Raleigh Gran Sport from the early 70 with no derailleur hanger and horizontal dropouts and have a great wheel set built (or build it yourself)

Here is my Grand Prix but will be changing to a Gran Sport I just received.

Old 04-05-21, 07:47 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Modern frames are ridiculously good these days (and for the last 20yrs really). Even the cheapest big-box store bikes have a strong enough of frame to last years of abuse, it's just in the parts that the word "quality" comes into play. There's nothing wrong with hi-ten steel or unmarked aluminum frames coming out of China, Malaysia, or anywhere else. They might weigh a bit more than fancy name, but again most of that comes from the parts group. If a bike fits your body and wallet, go with it and upgrade the parts as you need.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-05-21, 09:02 AM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

I've been looking at a few vintage and "vintage style" single speeds. I don't mind upgrading the components if I need to I'm more focused in a good quality frame. I'll use it toride to work when I'm not using my current bike.
Old 04-06-21, 09:02 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I cycle daily and am considering a single speed, but I noticed here in Australia they all seem really inexpensive which has me suspiscious of the quality.

I'd really appreciate some advice for what I should look for in a good quality, reliable single speed bike.
Why don't you send us the links to the bikes you have found? Let the forum decide if it is worthy of buying or not.
Old 04-06-21, 09:35 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I've been looking at a few vintage and "vintage style" single speeds. I don't mind upgrading the components if I need to I'm more focused in a good quality frame. I'll use it toride to work when I'm not using my current bike.
My first fixed gear was a Schwinn Traveler I bought a fixed rear wheel for. Sold it last year after 6 years.

I am currently waiting on WABI to build me a Thunder. Ordered early March, should be here in a couple weeks.
Old 04-06-21, 12:25 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
If you're going to use it to commute I would second (third?) TugaDude and bwilli88 suggestion to convert an older steel road bike frame. If you get a flat I find that forward facing dropouts make wheel removal and replacement a little easier than if you have track ends. There's a bit less interaction with the chain when you've got forward facing dropouts, and nobody likes greasy fingers

What's your overall budget?
Old 04-06-21, 01:24 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
If you already cycle then I would assume you already know about fit/size/geometry/etc. For SS/FG bikes, there are track geometries and frames with geometries closer to road. A lot of bikes with track geometries typically have steeper angles, higher BB's, max out at 28c tires and have twitchier steering. Frames closer to road geometry usually fit bigger tires and are more stable, albeit slower feeling. Another consideration is frame material. Cheap SS/FG's will have sluggish, heavy straight gauge hi-ten steel tubing, so at a minimum I would look at a double butted chromoly frame. Aluminum and carbon are obviously considerations too, if you're more into weight/stiffness. If you're buying a complete, at the very least make sure that it has sealed bearings for the hubs and bottom bracket. A lot of SS/FG's completes come with subpar parts so most people end up switching them out anyways. Everything else is kind of personal preference with handlebar type, gear ratio, tire size etc.
Old 04-06-21, 02:28 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
https://www.justrideit.com.au/collections/bikes
Old 04-06-21, 02:59 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Originally Posted by abshipp
If you're going to use it to commute I would second (third?) TugaDude and bwilli88 suggestion to convert an older steel road bike frame. If you get a flat I find that forward facing dropouts make wheel removal and replacement a little easier than if you have track ends. There's a bit less interaction with the chain when you've got forward facing dropouts, and nobody likes greasy fingers

What's your overall budget?
My budget is around AUD$1000

Originally Posted by acoustophile
If you already cycle then I would assume you already know about fit/size/geometry/etc. For SS/FG bikes, there are track geometries and frames with geometries closer to road. A lot of bikes with track geometries typically have steeper angles, higher BB's, max out at 28c tires and have twitchier steering. Frames closer to road geometry usually fit bigger tires and are more stable, albeit slower feeling. Another consideration is frame material. Cheap SS/FG's will have sluggish, heavy straight gauge hi-ten steel tubing, so at a minimum I would look at a double butted chromoly frame. Aluminum and carbon are obviously considerations too, if you're more into weight/stiffness. If you're buying a complete, at the very least make sure that it has sealed bearings for the hubs and bottom bracket. A lot of SS/FG's completes come with subpar parts so most people end up switching them out anyways. Everything else is kind of personal preference with handlebar type, gear ratio, tire size etc.
Thanks that's really handy information.
Old 04-06-21, 03:04 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

I've actually checked out this site and had considered The Blazer model
Old 04-06-21, 05:15 PM
Synic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After years in the 80s with bmx and a bit of a hiatus from biking in the 90s I moved to 10-11 speed mtb. Although those we're great bikes I was reminded the simplicity of the single speed but still like the style of the mountain bike. About two months ago I bought a rigid hardtail steel 29er mountain bike. It is now a single speed with only a rear brake and set up much like a BMX, the only difference is it has 29er Wheels. Going with the minimal maintenance idea I decided to also put on some schwalbe e marathon tires which are known to be some of the best flat resistant tires. I take it on the trails, the street and I also ride it at the local mountain bike park launching it off jumps as well as the pump track. It's only been roughly 2 months but I've had no flats, no maintenance, no nothing just get on and go.
Old 04-07-21, 07:20 AM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Originally Posted by BikeEthics
Why don't you send us the links to the bikes you have found? Let the forum decide if it is worthy of buying or not.
Here's one Single Speed Vintage I am considering. What do you think?
Old 04-07-21, 08:09 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Honestly, it is hard to say, but my gut reaction was that it's a decent-looking bike with "meh" components and overpriced for what it is. Does Bikesdirect ship to your area? If they do, you would do much better to invest in a Kilo WT. The bike can handle larger tires, which is an advantage depending on where you are riding. Several people here have owned a WT and can vouch that it is a decent bike for the money. Better to go with a known product than to take a chance, especially when it is approaching $700. Just my opinion.
Old 04-07-21, 09:05 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule

I would suggest getting a flip/flop wheel with SS / FG as it takes time to ride well and safe with a FG and you can always set to the SS side until you have enough confidence and skills to FG all the diff riding situations. Cog / Crank Ring sizes are another decision that will affect your ride.
Old 04-07-21, 09:29 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's one Single Speed Vintage I am considering. What do you think?
It looks like a decent bike but rather expensive. I would still do some more searching before buying that. You may find a bike with better components for the same price. Consider ordering internationally as well.
Old 04-07-21, 01:47 PM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by joesch
I would suggest getting a flip/flop wheel with SS / FG as it takes time to ride well and safe with a FG and you can always set to the SS side until you have enough confidence and skills to FG all the diff riding situations. Cog / Crank Ring sizes are another decision that will affect your ride.
I see your point, but the flip (flop) side is if you have a flip flop hub with fixed and free, it's easy to use the free all the time and just have the fixed cog there for show. Riding fixed takes a little concentration at first, but if there are no big hills and you're sensible, and have brakes as a back up, you can get used to it within a few miles.

Indeed, when I ride my geared bike these days, it takes me a few miles to get used to being able to coast, but by the end of a 20 mile ride, it's coming naturally again.

As for ratios, there is one simple perfect answer, a golden ratio, if you will: the ideal combination of chain ring and sprocket, perfect for all conditions. Legend says that this ratio can only be found by an infinite number of cyclists drinking an infinite amount of beer and shooting an infinite amount of breeze.
Old 04-07-21, 02:22 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Originally Posted by BikeEthics
It looks like a decent bike but rather expensive. I would still do some more searching before buying that. You may find a bike with better components for the same price. Consider ordering internationally as well.
I thought that was cheap? It's one of the reasons I started this thread because I'm cautious of getting a bike that's "cheap". But I guess as has been suggested already it's the frame the counts I can always upgrade the components.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.