Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Well guys, I'm buying the Lemond.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Well guys, I'm buying the Lemond.

Old 05-12-21, 06:47 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ParamountScapin
Proves that riding keeps us alive.
Hey hey now, I'm only 34, I'm not dead yet!

Originally Posted by ParamountScapin
As for Lemond & Armstrong........ he who laughs last and all that.
Did either of them really win in that exchange?

Originally Posted by ericcox
Originally Posted by Phatman
Yep, sure was. I raced 2004-2008, but I only got to race that VT course once, they stopped holding it on that course starting ~2005. That 4 mile climb at the end was rough.
I was firmly with the C's back then - the first time up, most of the field was zig zagging up the wall at the end. I was a moto official and got to ride with the A race one of the year's a UVA rider ended up winning the national championship, and Matt Decanio (who went pro) was riding for App St. I could not believe how fast those guys went up the climb. Incredible.
I raced the C's in my freshman year too. I was strong from running cross country in high school but oh so sketchy. I did pretty well in that VT race though, no handling skills required to point a bicycle uphill and suffer. By the time I was better at handling a bike, my engineering classes had kicked in and I was struggling to get 5 hours a week in. Needless to say, I didn't have the most illustrious collegiate cycling career. It was fun though, especially the mountain bike season.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 05-12-21, 08:37 AM
CKostie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have/had a 2001 Lemond Zurich. Last Saturday (May 10) a small SUV decided to T-bone me as I was riding it. Fork is pretty much shattered in two places and the top tube has a healthy kink. I haven't done a complete inspection of the bike yet. It was my second road bike and the only one in the road stable.

As for me, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. Came out with a broken rib, missing tooth, five stitches, and a bunch of bruising.
Old 05-12-21, 11:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,048 Times in 3,806 Posts
Originally Posted by CKostie
I have/had a 2001 Lemond Zurich. Last Saturday (May 10) a small SUV decided to T-bone me as I was riding it. Fork is pretty much shattered in two places and the top tube has a healthy kink. I haven't done a complete inspection of the bike yet. It was my second road bike and the only one in the road stable.

As for me, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. Came out with a broken rib, missing tooth, five stitches, and a bunch of bruising.
Sorry to hear. Glad you're still alive.
Old 05-18-21, 10:28 PM
mruneedahelmet

Bikes: Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 (2017), Concorde Prestige (199?)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
That bike lived an epic life; thanks for sharing.

I nearly bought a Lemond Zurich last week but it was a size too long. I still don't get how mere mortals without long torsos and arms ride these with their stretched out geometry.

Even its most recent build is decently aggressive; I imagine that your center of mass is fairly forward of the BB when putting down maximum power. Such a strange location for the weld to fail.
Old 05-19-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

That sucks but if you came out alive and not permanently disabled then you actually had a good day.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-19-21, 10:07 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Hey hey now, I'm only 34, I'm not dead yet!

Did either of them really win in that exchange?

I raced the C's in my freshman year too. I was strong from running cross country in high school but oh so sketchy. I did pretty well in that VT race though, no handling skills required to point a bicycle uphill and suffer. By the time I was better at handling a bike, my engineering classes had kicked in and I was struggling to get 5 hours a week in. Needless to say, I didn't have the most illustrious collegiate cycling career. It was fun though, especially the mountain bike season.
I too raced in the ACCC while in grad school at VCU here in Richmond. Collegiate racing was by far the most fun bike racing I've ever done. Helps when your school/club pays the entry and travel fees. I never made it to Blacksburg for the VT race, but I'd heard stories about Ben King (current world tour pro, former VT student) lapping the entire A field in the crit with ease.
Old 05-19-21, 12:48 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by mruneedahelmet
That bike lived an epic life; thanks for sharing.

I nearly bought a Lemond Zurich last week but it was a size too long. I still don't get how mere mortals without long torsos and arms ride these with their stretched out geometry.

Even its most recent build is decently aggressive; I imagine that your center of mass is fairly forward of the BB when putting down maximum power. Such a strange location for the weld to fail.
You know, its actually bit deceptive. The top tube IS long, but the seat tube is slack (72.5). I don't want to ignite a fitting war, but if I put my saddle in a position that allows for KOPS or something in that ballpark, I end up with the saddle pretty much in the middle of the rails using a straight post. The front center is also pretty short, so a shorter stem can be used without feeling like the front wheel is WAAAY out there. A 110mm feels pretty good on this bike and paired with the 73.5* HTA, it steers pretty darn nice. So yeah, basically, its got a long top tube, but it fits smaller than the top tube length would suggest.
Old 05-20-21, 08:24 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts

I lost my 2007 Zurich in much the same way to a left hook driver. Frame broken in half at the top tube. I slid on top of the car's hood and got away with cuts and bruises. Heal up soon!
Old 05-20-21, 08:46 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I think you should get it repaired, then repainted. Personally, I'm a fan of custom paint jobs on Lemonds.

Likes For RNAV:
Old 05-20-21, 09:00 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome to see an 18 year update! I wished I had kept my 1992 or '93 Giant Perigee.
Old 05-21-21, 07:05 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by RNAV
I think you should get it repaired, then repainted. Personally, I'm a fan of custom paint jobs on Lemonds.

Dang, that's nice! I see in your profile that its a 2003 Lemond Croix De Fer, though they didn't come out with the Croix De Fer until the 2006 model year, it was a bit of a throwback, probably because they went all in on aluminum and the "spine" bikes in 2004 and 2005. I'm thinking that with your straight blade 1 1/8" fork, you've probably got either a 2003 vintage Zurich or Buenos Aries OR and 2006 Croix de Fer/Sarthe. Very similar frames, but the 2003 frames were 853 and the 2006s were true temper. Probably very similar materials though.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fi...2003lemond.pdf

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fi...2006lemond.pdf

Did yours have any rust inside the tubes? That's the main reason I'm not going to repair the one I've got, when I was trying to fix the creaking I took the BB out and it was just a nasty orange mess inside. No pitting in the BB shell, but the adjoining tubes looked like they were full of rust. Since I think the headtube crack might be stress corrosion cracking related, I'm worried that I'd just be chasing cracks the whole time. Also, a dirty secret about modern high hardenability steels like these is that they're not that repairable. Sure, I could get someone to grind out the crack and lay another bead, but all the stresses that caused the crack in the first place are still there and I think it would crack again very soon. It would be a much more dignified end to be an art piece for my den. I'll post pics when its up.
Old 05-21-21, 05:15 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Dang, that's nice! I see in your profile that its a 2003 Lemond Croix De Fer, though they didn't come out with the Croix De Fer until the 2006 model year, it was a bit of a throwback, probably because they went all in on aluminum and the "spine" bikes in 2004 and 2005. I'm thinking that with your straight blade 1 1/8" fork, you've probably got either a 2003 vintage Zurich or Buenos Aries OR and 2006 Croix de Fer/Sarthe. Very similar frames, but the 2003 frames were 853 and the 2006s were true temper. Probably very similar materials though.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fi...2003lemond.pdf

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fi...2006lemond.pdf

Did yours have any rust inside the tubes? That's the main reason I'm not going to repair the one I've got, when I was trying to fix the creaking I took the BB out and it was just a nasty orange mess inside. No pitting in the BB shell, but the adjoining tubes looked like they were full of rust. Since I think the headtube crack might be stress corrosion cracking related, I'm worried that I'd just be chasing cracks the whole time. Also, a dirty secret about modern high hardenability steels like these is that they're not that repairable. Sure, I could get someone to grind out the crack and lay another bead, but all the stresses that caused the crack in the first place are still there and I think it would crack again very soon. It would be a much more dignified end to be an art piece for my den. I'll post pics when its up.
Thank you for your very informative post! I'll have to update my sig to '06 . . . I was uncertain of the year when I acquired the frame. But, it was definitely a Croix de fer and it was definitely True Temper, so sounds like it's an '06. This is how I received it:

Inside the tubes were surprisingly clean. The seat tube had minor surface rust toward the top but had that removed/treated when I had the bike painted. That said, I can understand your hesitancy if there's concern your frame's internal integrity may not be up to snuff.
Likes For RNAV:
Old 05-21-21, 05:58 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
That sucks but if you came out alive and not permanently disabled then you actually had a good day.
That's a pretty low benchmark for "a good day" LOL!
Old 05-21-21, 08:20 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts

My Lemond.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 05-24-21, 08:00 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by BobsPoprad

My Lemond.
Nice! We didn't really sell many of these when I worked at the bike shop, they were a bit too relaxed and heavy for a pure CX race bike, but I think they were a bit ahead of their time and make for a really nice gravel/road/touring bike.